Walrus Audio Luminary - First thoughts and comparison w/ a POG2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ringemaster, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ringemaster

ringemaster Member

I got mine a couple of days ago and have had a few opportunities to dig into it.

For context, I've had a POG 2 for the last few years and while I can get good sounds out of it, I've never been in love with it...always felt a bit digital and 'lo-fi' for my taste, so when I saw the pre-order emails come up I jumped on it.

For even more context, there's really three things I personally use an octave generator for - 1) one octave down mixed into a unity signal with a fast attack for the Jack White type sound and 2) an organ type sound I can use for swells and 3) A combination of an octave down and octave up blended in with my signal to give me really fat tone on single notes.

That said, here's my take:

PROS:
    • Tracking is solid. Hard to say if its better or worse than the POG, but I do feel that my original signal (when not in full wet mode) responds a bit faster than the POG does while the pedal is engaged.
    • The low end on this thing is glorious. Definitely much higher quality than the POG. I had sooooo much fun playing with it.
    • Nice size footprint (noticeably smaller than the POG2)
    • Soft-switches
    • Artwork is pretty sick
    • Probably one of the biggest pros for me is the simplicity of the controls. The POG is simple enough, but I don't need 8 presets and finding unity gain on my original signal w/the POG wasn't always straightforward. The Luminary simplifies this with essentially 4 sounds and clearer mixing of unity signal. I found that the simplicity inspired me to be 'less afraid' on trying new things and tweaking, etc., which means I had more fun with it.
    • In general, the octave signals feel truer to your original signal than compared to the POG (although the POG is purposefully trying to make it sound a bit different, so this isn't a knock on the POG). I find this valuable.
    CONS:
    • It can glitch pretty bad when the attack is at 0 and you're using all four octaves (truthfully I think its mostly the -2 octave that causes the trouble). Fortunately I don't really need all four octaves with a fast attack...I usually just use -1 down and +1 up which tracks relatively well at low attack settings.
    • At times the upper octaves feel brittle when the attack is at zero, so YMMV. Which leads me to my next point.
    • I didn't find the filter to be all that usable past 12 o'clock and at lower settings less than 12 o'clock, it has an envelope filter thing going on. I personally would prefer a high-end roll-off or low-pass filter that was a bit more organic in taming the highs.
    • I'm not a "seasick" sound kind of guy, so I personally don't find the flutter control useful. While that's personal preference, I will say that the flutter depth is set pretty high and there's no ability to control it, so you'll either be stuck with a really modulated sound or none at all. It might have been nice to offer a way to control depth which would have made flutter far more usable for me.
    Some other notes:
    • Requires 250mA of power which is a tad bit more than the POG2.
    • Top mounted input/output jacks which depending on your layout would be a good or bad thing
    • The power receptacle is interesting...you're really need to push it in there, but once its in, it seems pretty tight.

In the end, I'm about 95% sure it will be knocking my POG2 off of my board. I'll try and get some clips up later this week when I get more time, but wanted to share my thoughts in case they're helpful for others.

2. WackJhite

WackJhite Member

How is it with fuzz/distortion?

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

[​IMG]

4. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

:spit

You win, sir. :aok

NHBluesMan likes this.
  5. ringemaster

ringemaster Member

I like it a lot...at least with individual notes. Haven't tried too many distorted chords with octaves though...I've always found them to noisy in general.

6. Musicman625

Musicman625 Member

Do you still prefer the luminary over the pog?

7. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Bump for Luminary owners' current feelings on Luminary vs. POG

8. ogguitar

ogguitar Member

Happy POG2 user here. Board space, tone, etc. haven't given me any reason to make the switch, but if I had neither I think I'd probably go for the Luminary. Price point and processing power are the real kickers here for me (Luminary uses a SHARC). I'd also love a Walrus pedal on my board as I think they make great stuff, but I don't have anything which I want to replace. In the end, there are a few sounds that the POG2 can do which the Luminary can't, so I shall remain quite happy with my POG2 until it dies on me.

9. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

I've been a POG2 user for years now and was excited when the luminary came out. The POG2 isn't perfect, so I thought the Luminary may be a slight improvement. I came across a good deal on one and snagged it up to try it against my POG.

I use the POG for several things, but the main sound that I love is with the attack set really high for the octaves while letting the clean come through normally. Gives it this cool "shimmer"-y type sound that sounds killer with delay, especially with a low mix. The POG2s attack comes in very slowly and what I would call "musically". The Luminary's attack comes in much faster and more direct, even when set to the max. That alone killed it for me.

The actual octave sounds were comparable. The flutter was ok, but I liked the POG2's detune better. Overall, I wanted to love it because of the smaller size, but it didn't come close to knocking the POG2 off my board.