Walrus Audio Voyager or Walrus Audio Harvester?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pete12string, Mar 26, 2015.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I have a chance to do a trade deal for a Walrus Audio Voyager or a Walrus Audio Harvester. Anybody out there ever try either of these pedals? I did a search and there's a lot more on the Voyager. According to the reviews I've seen they both add a lot of mids. Are they real mid-range heavy? What can you tell me about each of these pedals? I'd be trading a Mad Professor Simble for one of these. Comment, opinions.

Thanks!
    Pete

2. Michael_92

Michael_92 Member

Both of them kind of jump into the "transparent dirt" pedal category. The Harvester is their more mid gain version, comparable (but not the same) as The Paramount by Emerson. The Voyager is their take (klone, if you will) on the Klon. I think it boils down to what don't you have as far as dirt goes/ what looks cooler/ what do you see yourself using in a year still.

3. pete12string

Right now I have a PlimSoul and a Hotcake (trading the Simble). Will I be getting a different variation from what I have with the Harvester? I've been reading a lot about how the Voyager sounds "nasally". What's your experience?

4. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

What you've read on the Voyager really depends on how you intend to use the gain. If you're going to run your amp squeeky-clean and try to get a medium-ish gain purely out of the Voyager, yeah, it tends to sound nasally. The Voyager was designed to be a preamp boost used in a klon-like application to kick the front-end of your amp into it's natural overdrive. I thought it did really well at that. But the Voyager's gain on it's own does get pretty nasally at higher gain settings. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. pete12string

Thanks for the info. Based on what I hear and read, I'm going to trade for the Harvester. I'll let you know what I think of it after I get to try it out for a while!

Pete