Walt Disney World and Nassau

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jiffy_Jeff, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Was thinking of a trip for two to Disney world and Nassau.

2 or 3 days at disney and 5 days in Nasau (maybe Atlantis?)

Any advice on what the best places to stay are? I've never been.

Best time to go. No Hurricanes!

Couple in our 40s. No kids. Romance and fun.

Bring on the advice fellas. Thanks

Jeff

2. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Gold Supporting Member

Just tagging to see any good advice. My wife and I never grew up either.

3. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

2 days at Disney is probably OK.
    But, be warned..... in the last few years, Nassau's gone funky, it has gone a bit soul, if you know what I mean.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. Kluch

Kluch Member

You know Disney has a cruise that will take you to Nassau and their private island... that's something to consider. My wife and I did that trip for our honeymoon last October.

5. archey

archey Member

My wife and I go at least twice a year to Disney World. We really enjoy Magic Kingdom. Epcot is fun too, although it's more about food than anything else. As far as where to stay if you don't plan on staying on property, the Marriott Lakeshore Reserve is nice.

6. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

I was in Nassau (New Providence rather) 15 years ago - stayed with locals. Incredibly crowded. 250,000 inhabitants, LOTS of cars, very tourist-oriented.

If I ever go back to the Bahamas, it would be some of the other islands. Depends on what you want I guess.

7. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Just went to Disney the week after Thanksgiving. To my surprise, the park wasn't overly crowed, but the lines were terrible. Most were 60-200 minutes, and if you plan on dining in Epcot, make sure to get reservations very early, as most were sold out for dinner.

I will say we enjoyed it, except the lines

8. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Per attraction (rollercoasters, ferris wheels, what not)?

9. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I know this will sound strange, but Memorial Day weekend. School is still in for most kids so the weekend is too short for too many to come in from out of town. Spring break is already past. Too early in the season for hurricanes. Warm enough to be warm but generally not too hot.

We went a couple years ago on Memorial Day weekend and were surprised at how sparse the park was. We figured it would be packed but it wasn't.

10. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Space mountain, Pirates, Haunted House, Test track, Mission to space, were all long 40-60 min, but Soarin was constantly over 200 minutes, the two days we were there.

To me the parks seemed quiet, because I think everyone was in line. The Fast Pass helped a little, but very limited.

11. wyatt

wyatt Member

To this day, I don't understand the fascination with that ride. The didn't even update the footage, it's still all California.

2-3 days is fine for a couple of adults at WDW with no kids. Don't try and see it all, and just enjoy kicking back at your own pace. You might not like it...WDW has become very efficient at handling huge crowds and thats strip a lot of the detail and personal attention out of it compare to say Disneyland.

Best time to go is when they aren't offering their free dining plans, otherwise getting a table at anywhere sit down becomes a nightmare. Plus, honestly, you avoid the kind of tourists that buy into free dining plans.:hide

Officially "Hurricane Season" is June 1-Nov 30, but the peak is mid-August/mid-October, because of that prices are usually lower around then as a result.

12. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Did WDW in 1999, 2002, 2004 & 2005; Atlantis in 2006. All trips w/ kids who were 12 and 16 at last trip

Not sure what your budget is, but Atlantis is expensive to say the least. Stayed at their mid-range hotel (Beach Tower I think). Enjoyed Atlantis very much (and I really don't even like the beach).
    WDW: Recommend the week before Thanksgiving; not so hot and crowded; hurricane season is pretty much gone. I recommend staying on-property, especially if you're only there 2-3 days. While the Yacht/Beach Clubs are great and in an excellent location, they're steep. Next door are the Swan and Dolphin hotels which are excellent and a bit less expensive.

13. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I lived in The Bahamas for 5 years (1995-2000, my high school years). I have dual citizenship.

We lived on Long Island which is considered one of the "Family Islands" (used to be called the Out Islands). We avoided Nassau and Freeport whenever humanly possible. Way too crowded, crime-ridden and dirty for us. Go to one of the Family Islands, much better.

14. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

Was at Disney last week. They due all the renovations this time of year so lots of it is closed. It was a bummer. Went to Nassau a few years ago. We stayed somewhere nice and get day passes for Atlantis. It was a ripoff to stay there.

15. MOJO

MOJO Member

I rather enjoyed the Atlantis resort.. My only real complaint would be absolutely ridiculous food prices but other then that I would go again in a second

Ps : I never understood the crazy wait times for "Soaring" either??

16. slogger

slogger Member

17. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've been to the Bahamas probably 5 or 6 times. Hidden Secret: On paradise Island...there is a comfort Inn. It is considerably cheaper than Atlantis...but allows you to use all the amenities in Atlantis. The pools, etc...
    There was also a cheap all inclusive hotel...but it's closed for renovations. it wasn't a sandals by any stretch...but it was really cheap for what you got.

I also recommend Bahama Divers and the Atlantis buffet...yummy.

18. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

As far as Disney goes, if price is no object stay at one of the Disney resorts on the monorail. You'll save hours of bus time.

Two or three days is not enough time to do Disney world, so plan your itinerary. Get some Fast Passes and use them on the rides you want to do the most.

We went this year in mid November and it was pretty good. Crowds were low and the weather was great. No problems getting into the Epcot restaurants (you still need reservations) or onto any of the rides. I don't recall the line for Soaring was more than a few minutes, but the Star Wars ride over at Disney Studios was better. Come to think of it, I liked Disney Studios better than the Magic Kingdom.

One thing that bothered me, the Magic Kingdom and Epcot are really looking dated, even though they are well maintained. All of the "world of the future" stuff just seems silly now.

My granddaughter loved it though, which is all that mattered.