Wampler Ace Thirty

DakotaRed

Silver Supporting Member
For what it's worth, Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney TX has 'em in stock. Well, they did last Saturday anyway.

brandon6469

I ordered direct from Wampler Friday, but it hasn't shipped yet. My confirmation says it could take up to 5 days to ship. 5 days to ship an in stock item is pretty slack if you ask me, but I guess I'll wait a few more days. Maybe it'll work out and mine will ship tomorrow. I would have ordered through a distributor had I known, but it's not the end of the world.

Looking forward to playing this pedal though.

musica23

...5 days to ship an in stock item is pretty slack if you ask me, but I guess I'll wait a few more days. Maybe it'll work out and mine will ship tomorrow. I would have ordered through a distributor had I known, but it's not the end of the world.

I hate to say it, but I agree. Hope it's not a bad omen! :worried

Yeah...me, too. And I almost hope I don't like it cuz I've really been on a binge lately. :bonk

JGD5150

I ordered direct from Wampler Friday, but it hasn't shipped yet. My confirmation says it could take up to 5 days to ship. 5 days to ship an in stock item is pretty slack if you ask me, but I guess I'll wait a few more days. Maybe it'll work out and mine will ship tomorrow. I would have ordered through a distributor had I known, but it's not the end of the world.

I ordered a Plextortion direct from Wampler a couple months back. I got the "5 business days" notification from them as well, but the pedal shipped next business days and I got it 2 days after that.

Jason Wilding

Our pedals ship usually the day after being ordered direct; I only put the five day notification on there due to someone throwing their toys out of their pram as it took 3 working days once due to a public holiday! (facepalm) 5 days is not an expectation, just a worse case scenario really. :)

musica23

Our pedals ship usually the day after being ordered direct; I only put the five day notification on there due to someone throwing their toys out of their pram as it took 3 working days once due to a public holiday! (facepalm) 5 days is not an expectation, just a worse case scenario really. :)

Well, that's cool then. Thanks for clarifying! :)

brandon6469

As a follow up, I got my pedal today. I never got an email with the tracking info as the confirmation said I would, but there's always a chance the spam filter got it. Anyway, I figure it is only fair to give credit for 'over delivering'.

Taking the Ace to practice tonight!

musica23

As a follow up, I got my pedal today. I never got an email with the tracking info as the confirmation said I would, but there's always a chance the spam filter got it. Anyway, I figure it is only fair to give credit for 'over delivering'.

Cool!!! I got mine today, too, but from another place (Humbucker...my first experience with them). Not much time to try it out, but my initial impression is pretty good!

BrianWampler

Must have gone to spam if you bought it direct - it's an automated thing.

BrianWampler

Cool!!! I got mine today, too, but from another place (Humbucker...my first experience with them). Not much time to try it out, but my initial impression is pretty good!

cool, thanks!
I'm actually really curious to hear thoughts from those who have bought our competitors pedals that do a vox sound... I know there are several companies that have that 'vox emulation' type of pedal but even though my opinion is biased, I think folks will find our pedal to be extremely accurate... so if you don't like that sound, you definitely won't dig it. :)
For example there is a guy in the office who can't stand it... his reason? He says it sounds too much like my hand wired ac-30 :D

BrianWampler

Brian,

How well does it work with a Vox amp?

It's going to work pretty good, but you will probably have to adjust the eq a bit (especially the highs and the cut control), since the vox already has a certain 'chime' to it, adding a pedal with the same chime will just be super bright. But, that's why we put all the switches and knobs on our pedals - to make sure they work a variety of different amps and guitars.

sector9

Yeah man, pretty slack huh. You'll know better next time.

smj

cool, thanks!
I'm actually really curious to hear thoughts from those who have bought our competitors pedals that do a vox sound.

Can't comment on the TBIAC.... But compared to the CB30... No comparison really. The first time I plugged into a CB30, I don't think I had it on for more than 30 seconds.

The ACE 30 is much more amp like. I'm not a Vox guy really, but have played a few as well as Bad Cat offerings and I always go... "Is that too much compression?" I felt the exact same way with the ACE30... All those details are there.

Between the plexidrive, black 65, Tweed 57 and the ACE30, I pretty much have all my amps covered.

Sean Meredith-Jones
www.seanmeredithjones.com

brandon6469

My first impressions were positive overall. I stayed pretty close to the suggestions in the box as a starting point. I probably won't use the Beatles tones much, but they sounded spot on.

I felt like the other settings were a little muddy at first. For reference, I play through a Billm modded Blues Jr with an upgraded transformer and a WGS Reaper. Lately, I've been running the mids around 3 or 4 out of 10, bass around 7, and treble around 7-8. I run the pre gain on the amp around 4 with the FAT switch off. Adjusting all the tone knobs to midway really helped bring the Vox character out and helped with the muddiness. So far, I liked the Sunday Bloody Sunday setting best, FWIW.

I'm probably going to adjust the trim pot down a bit as well for my P90s. I'm hoping that could help clear it up as well. I just need to spend a little more time experimenting with the pedal and I know it's going to get regular use.

Good stuff Brian! Thanks.

musica23

Can't comment on the TBIAC.... But compared to the CB30... No comparison really...

I only had about a half hour with it last night, but I definitely agree with this! The CB30 was one of my biggest disappointments ever. (Sorry, C'bread! I love your delays and some of your dirt!!!)

That said, my "problem" is that I also want an actual Vox amp (AC15 or 30...just the regular stock w/Greenback), so this pedal might be a bit redundant for me. If money were no object, it's certainly worth the price IMO. Appears to be well-built, versatile/adjustable, very attractive (pretty, even!), and sounds very Vox-y to me. I love the 15/30 switch. Nice touch! :aok

Zeon45

The Ace Thirty looks nice but I'll think I'll stick with my real AC15TV-HW for authentic clean Vox tones and the BF EGDM for overdrive.

brandon6469

I spent a little more time with the Ace Thirty this morning and I was able dial in some really good tones. Last night I preferred the Bloody Sunday setting, but now I'm closer to the 'Queen' setting from the manual, but with a little less boost, bass down a bit, and a little extra top cut. Adjusting the tone controls, I was able to dial out the muddiness from last night. I do find myself turning the volume knob down to about 9:00 so I'm still thinking about dialing back the internal trim pot. FWIW, I'm using a Les Paul with P90s.

I found adding some mids back in the amp eq seems to give me a good balance of my normal clean amp tone and the Voxy goodness of the pedal. I've also found the top cut knot to be really useful. It would be too bright for me without it.

As expected, it seems to play well with all my other pedals. It sounds great with my Maxon OD9 in particular. I see myself often using the Maxon or possibly another od in lieu of the treble boost to get the growl of both sides of the pedal while keeping the volume in check. The boost will be incredible for lead tones, but let's face it, I'm not ripping off big solos anyway.

I haven't been able to dial in the Tom Petty tones from the video yet, but that's my next target.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom