• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wampler Ace Thirty

rfmason

Can the ACE Thirty do a Vox AC 30 clean tone if you turn the gain down or is it just an OD pedal?
Yes, it can. I've had mine for one day now and it has a ton of range from clean to dirt. I like it a lot so far. Only thing is I wish the "boost" side was controlled by a toggle switch instead of a footswitch. Would be simpler to use in a live setting.

oasis02

I am a big Wampler advocate, particularly with the amp-simming products.

I have owned them all. When the Ace 30 was announced, I could not get it fast enough (having owned the Cranked AC), and drove 90 minutes to get it on Black Friday.

For some reason, this one just didn't "hit" with me. I actually sold it, and later tried one again to be sure I had tried everything.

I do think it does a very accurate AC tone print, but I found that I had to constantly adjust the settings to adjust for slight tonal variances and different pickups. I prefer to find a setting that gets me in the neighborhood of the preferred highest gain setting, then adjusting the guitar volume to get into the other territories if at all possible.

I think a little more gain in the un-boosted mode...and it's perfect. I just remember getting very light OD with a Strat with the gain at 4:00 when un-boosted.

For my purposes, the Cranked AC with 30% less overall gain on-tap would be the ultimate. I'm finding the Boss BC-2 (of all things) to be fitting that bill right now.

I would by no means call this pedal a flop (see another thread), but it's just too tweak-y for me...

Another recent Wampler release, the Velvet Fuzz is a must have pedal for someone who does not want or require a board full of fuzz. It's an absolute blast to play. Hendrix/Gilmour/EJ/Stripes and beyond are all in there, and the adjustments to get there are simple and satisfying.

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a Vox AC4 and been using a Rat, MXR Classic OD, MFF1, and a Soul Food for dirt. looking to replace the COD and Soul Food. Asking the question again, how does the Ace Thirty play with Voxs? Is it redundant or will it give more of the Vox overdrive tone? I have my AC4 set for edge of break up.

newb3fan

Silver Supporting Member
I got mine yesterday and only had 30-60 minutes with it. I wanted one the moment I heard that it was going to be released. I like the pedal a lot already. I can tell it is going to take some time to learn it's subtle nuances.

I have a Fender clean style american combo and the clean settings on the pedal (i.e 30 switch and low gain) give such a wonderful sparkle to the tone. It is quite different from the "blackface" tone of my amp. The top cut really works well. I was demoing it with a T style. Didn't have time to pick up anything else. And also the May settings were so so nice. To play that progression for Tie Your Mother Down with that tone cranking put a smile on my face instantly.

Only other thing I noted for starters was that unity gain on the pedal was quite low - like 9:00 on the volume. There is a lot more this baby has to offer.

And I hope I got one of the last of the "original" run of these before the name change...that's kind of cool.

rjsc5

I am a big Wampler advocate, particularly with the amp-simming products.

I have owned them all. When the Ace 30 was announced, I could not get it fast enough (having owned the Cranked AC), and drove 90 minutes to get it on Black Friday.

For some reason, this one just didn't "hit" with me. I actually sold it, and later tried one again to be sure I had tried everything.

I do think it does a very accurate AC tone print, but I found that I had to constantly adjust the settings to adjust for slight tonal variances and different pickups. I prefer to find a setting that gets me in the neighborhood of the preferred highest gain setting, then adjusting the guitar volume to get into the other territories if at all possible.

I think a little more gain in the un-boosted mode...and it's perfect. I just remember getting very light OD with a Strat with the gain at 4:00 when un-boosted.

For my purposes, the Cranked AC with 30% less overall gain on-tap would be the ultimate. I'm finding the Boss BC-2 (of all things) to be fitting that bill right now.

I would by no means call this pedal a flop (see another thread), but it's just too tweak-y for me...

Another recent Wampler release, the Velvet Fuzz is a must have pedal for someone who does not want or require a board full of fuzz. It's an absolute blast to play. Hendrix/Gilmour/EJ/Stripes and beyond are all in there, and the adjustments to get there are simple and satisfying.
Comparing Pete Thorn's youtubes of the Wampler Ace30 and the Boss BC2 combo drive, I came away liking the BC2 a little better, and I am not a huge Boss fan. I still may give the Ace a try. YMMV

newb3fan

Silver Supporting Member
Warren, the honeymoon is over. I still am in Love! Seriously though...I use it more for the wonderful clean tone on the 30 side as a change from my Redplate Blackface preamp. I just put my Les Paul down after having jammed with it to "Help is on the way" by the Dead. I had the volume at 10, bass 11, treble 2:30, cut off, gain 2:00 and it was giving such a sparkling nice tone with the the p/u selector in the middle position. I use the pedal for several tunes with my blues band including the 15 side driven for a great sounding rendition of "Give Me Back My Wig" that great old blues tune by Hound Dog Taylor. Your, and everyone else's, mileage may of course, vary.

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting...

We are in the same boat, as I want to supplement my standard 'Blackverb' sound that comes from my Carrs...

My 'Ace Thirty' arrived today, and I've had about 10 mins with it. Very early initial findings are of genuine shock. The pedal looks absolutely gorgeous, and sounds about the same.
My Strat just loves this pedal, and I nearly blew the windows out when I plugged the Huber in....!

More to follow...

BrianWampler

Are we sure that, boost switch works even the pedal is off?
Yes, the boost is more of a mid/top end boost, designed to hit a gain stage (pedal or amp) and give it more gain. Works great as a top boost similar to what Brian May used for the Queen stuff.

It is also independent, so the Thirty Something/Ace 30 works as 2 independent pedals in one.

nater9

Brian - can you use an internal dip switch to only activate the boost when the pedal is on by chance?

haha, i just saw they changed the name of the Ace Thirty to "Thirty Something" on their website.
Pretty lame, i think they coulda done better than that.
Ah well.
I still want to try one out.

Trending Topics