Wampler Analog Echo or Malekko 616?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spcv, Dec 16, 2009.

1. spcv

spcv Member

Hey, guys!

New here, and even though I've been reading this forum for a while, my first post is (of course) to ask for advice.:huh

Has anyone compared these two units? Malekko 616 and Wampler Analog Echo? I've been reading about them here, but I have found no direct comparison. I'm going to buy a delay pedal (yes, my little Christmas present) and I really can't decide which would suit me better.

What are the pros / cons? As far as sound goes they seem to be equally cool.

Thanks, guys!

2. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Wampler AE smokes the CC. I bought and returned the CC twice in favor of the Wampler. But the Malekko, Mmmm can't wait to try one.

4. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

I've heard similiar testimonies in comparison to the CC and AE also, so I tend to believe you.

I almost got an AE but went with a Tech 21 Boost DLA instead because it had Tap Tempo and a Modulation effect.

5. steve gray

steve gray Member

yeah im caught between Wampler and Retro sonic as well for my next delay..
    I mean i dont see the name too misleading.. i mean if what it emulates is an analog delay... then whats the problem? just research the product before u buy and if u find out its digital and dont want it, then move on.
    i was an analog purist untill i bought my deep blue delay.. i had no idea digital could sound so good!

6. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

On the brighter side of things , Brian has just come out out with a new pedal,(not a joke) The Faux Tape Echo Pedal, it does alot more, don't think that it replaces the Wampler Analog Delay.
    Jim

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/faux_tape_echo

Listen to this

:mob

7. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I just did a cleanup of this thread and removed a number of posts.

8. Mastersonics

Mastersonics Senior Member

First post here guys

I'm looking for a Chandler Echo but in pedal form.
    So far the Wampler Analog Echo is the closest thing I found to the Chandler Echo.

It's the holidays.....
    let's leave the hate out for a change. ;)

happy holidays everyone
    CJ

9. spcv

spcv Member

Yeah, I like the Wampler sound samples a lot, too. Plus on youtube, there's Thai (I think) fellow that posted a clip, very nice.

I'm still waiting for someone at Wampler to explain to me the $179 deal, though...:huh:D

10. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

I you are buying new i'd go for the Faux Tape Echo over the AE. The are similiar but the FTE has modulation.

11. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

what did i miss? :D
    last thing I read was my apology... how in the world did that turn ugly? :huh

12. spcv

spcv Member

Hey, Brian! Your Echo sure is hard to find / get!:rotflmao

I registered and filled your "make an offer" thing in your website. I thought "club members" had a special discout and couyld buy the pedal for $139. Cathy told me it'd be $179. :(

Did I get anything wrong! PM if you don't want to disclose anything here. Thanks!

13. jhfire

jhfire Supporting Member

+1 for the Wampler AnalogEcho. Very warm sounding, easy to dial in sounds from a slapback to a subtle delay. Great pedal!

14. spcv

spcv Member

Does it beat the Ekko 616 on a comparison basis? I really am mixed uo between the two...

15. spcv

spcv Member

I contacted a nice store and they said that the last Ekko 616 is reserved. If the customer doesn't say anything by the end of the day, they can sell it to me. On the other hand they have the Wampler at nearly the same price. :( Ah, decisions, decisions...:huh

16. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Wampler Analog Echo is available at Bananas and The Mad Ape for, hmmmm, maybe 179 or 199
    JIm

PS- You will wait forever for the 179, might as well buy one, don't understand why he does it that way, it is frustrating to see them available on the internet and you are trying to save a few bucks by waiting a few weeks
    - When I got The compressor, I waited twice for a long time to get 159, finally bought it at Bananas for 189, vs 2

17. spcv

spcv Member

Thanks for your input, Jim! Really appreciate it!

You see, the reason price is so important to me is because once I order it, I pay shipping fees on top of that. Perfect. The problem is, once it gets here, the customs people will ask for 30% - 40% on top of the pedal price+shipping - it depends on the guy who handles the order! So, you see, the pedal may turn up to be a lot more expensive than that! That is why I want to try to find it:

a) the cheaper I can, outside EU, because that way, the customs taxes will also be cheaper;
    b) the cheaper I can, inside Eu, because that way I pay no customs taxes.

You guys have no idea how lucky you are to live in US - at least as far as gear is related!

18. paintbox

paintbox Guest

Yeah, no kidding. Did I do something wrong? Nothing in the rules I can find, anyway. And you haven't answered my PM-

Just trying to help the OP and answer his question. I didn't read it since my last post so if there was any ugliness I guess I missed it.
    (Note to latecomers: I reminded him the Wampler Analog Echo was digital and Brian didn't keep his word to me about changing the name to avoid confusing people.)

I would have too, guess it didn't make the cut. What a joke that an admin censored a thread like that, isn't this place specifically so people can argue about something like that? I don't get it- why bother posting at all if stuff will be arbitrarily deleted?

Anyway, best of luck Brian, I have nothing against you personally, and trust me I would rather see you learn from your mistakes and succeed rather than fail, which is why I pointed it out. I just think you made a bad call for your business with the naming of the pedal initially, whether you did it to purposefully mislead people or not, and another bad call by not renaming it when you said you would. It's not as though I go around calling you names, I just relate my experience and I certainly don't feel out of line warning people about making a potential mistake. It seems most people don't care, though, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  19. paintbox

paintbox Guest

So a/b them at the store and all your problems are solved. Later, and good luck-

20. spcv

spcv Member

It's an online store, in another country. A/B is out of the question, that's why I asked if anyone have ever compared the two...