• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Wampler Belle Overdrive

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Gold Supporting Member
Had some time with the Belle. It’s a solid choice for someone looking for the ODR tone but with more tone shaping and ability to control the bass. I had a Nordland ODR-C on board with the Belle. I noticed that the gain maxed on the Belle was equivalent to the gain at 2:00 on the Nordland.
the Belle doesn’t have the mid shaping capability nor the compression, however, the Belle has a push/push control on the aide that relieves some compression when engaged. The Belle is a very good unit and costs half of the Nordland. If you want the extra controls and slightly more gain the Nordland would be the way to go. The Belle has all the gain I’d ever use. Brian made a winner here.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Got mine. No time to play it now, but I did put it on the board, and have one quick criticism: and it could turn out to be a very big one, depending on what's on the board/placement of certain pedals......

The push-push switch on the side sits directly behind the patch cable, depending on how it's routed: for example, in my case, it's right in front of a pedal that has top-mounted jacks, so getting a patch cable from the Belle, in a "downward" direction so as not to obscure the switch, then into the TOP of the next pedal, is a real PITA.

Of course, if the next pedal has side jacks, a short patch could just be routed in the U shape (downward), no worries. I usually rout all my patch cables UP (in an ARC shape), just to keep them away from my feet when stepping on the pedals.

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Gold Supporting Member
Got mine. No time to play it now, but I did put it on the board, and have one quick criticism: and it could turn out to be a very big one, depending on what's on the board/placement of certain pedals......

The push-push switch on the side sits directly behind the patch cable, depending on how it's routed: for example, in my case, it's right in front of a pedal that has top-mounted jacks, so getting a patch cable from the Belle, in a "downward" direction so as not to obscure the switch, then into the TOP of the next pedal, is a real PITA.

Of course, if the next pedal has side jacks, a short patch could just be routed in the U shape (downward), no worries. I usually rout all my patch cables UP (in an ARC shape), just to keep them away from my feet when stepping on the pedals.
That’s a gripe I have as well.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
OK, quick tryout on my PR with my tele. I really like it. I haven't owned an ODR-1 in awhile, but I really appreciate that the Belle can be set flat with regards to the low end. My current "transparent" :rolleyes: OD is a Blue Note, and it's only "transparent" in lo gain mode.

Which brings me to my next observation: the 2 pedals have similar levels of gain, except all of the Belle's is in it's knob (and around 1:30 the gain comes on VERY fast), whereas on the Blue Note it's in the knob in combination with the hot switch. And when you throw the Hot switch on the Blue Note, it's not just more gain, it's more mids. Hot with the gain cranked on a Blue Note is getting into TS territory. With the Belle, the gain is there, but the mids are not. So that's a bit of a difference there.

It's been too long since I owned a Timmy to compare them, but the Belle is very easy to dial in a great sound with, there's no mid hump to speak of, and you can control the fatness with the bass control. I found the Timmy less "easy" to use, with it's backwards knobs and internal dipswitches. One of the reasons I chose the BN over it years ago. But the Belle is great- looking forward to trying it with my other guitars and amps.

It's just one of those pedals that "sound good, right out of the box"... there's no learning curve. No tweaking. I haven't dived into the compression/clipping switch yet... but it seems to only make a big difference at higher levels on the gain control.

LOVE THE COLOR! :love:

Last edited:

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Just tried the Belle out. I have an ODR-1 I've used for a while. I also have a Timmy, but haven't A/B'd yet. I love the bass control on the Belle. The pedal sounds really good for the low to even mid gain if you want. Stacking on top of other pedals also works well and the use of the bass control for that comes in very handy. Keeping this as a mid gain pedal and using volume control is how I expect to use it as well as a stack option. I'm digging it for sure. I'd say more versatile than the ODR-1 for sure.

WailinGuy

"Has Brian given up trying to make original circuits/pedals?"

Now there's a loaded question. Did you ask it when Brian came out with his Tumnus models some years ago?

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Really putting the Belle through it's paces this morning. Love it. Keeping it. It's a perfect match for my tele and Princeton.

For Blue Note owners (because the BN is my current "no mids/less mids" OD:)

The BN always has a little bit of mids, and is always a little smoother. I love the Fat control, but it's not as tight as the Belle's.

The Belle is more "transparent", always has some more grit, and the low end doesn't get bloated- the wound strings retain a "piano like" quality. I hear Guthrie Trapp and Brad Paisley in there....

I have always thought blackface circuits do better with mid-dy ODs; and they certainly can.... but I have to admit, the Belle sounds awesome with the PR... it's like turning up the PR to get the gorgeous grind... but at lower volume.

Last edited:

axman53

Further on this, I'm looking at the Belle to possibly replace my Greer Lightspeed for low gain tones. The Lightspeed will be tough to kick off my board, but if I can get a great low gain tone with some additional tone shaping thrown in, I'd be ok with that.
So, mine showed up today. I took my Tumnus mini off the board so that I could put the Belle on the board side by side with the Lightspeed playing at low volume. I found that the Belle can do everything the Lightspeed can do, which is really only one thing: a convincing low gain, amp like breakup. Beyond that, the Belle Color control can bring out more midrange if you want it and you can use the bass control to set the bass content anywhere that suits you. Once I was convinced that the Belle could do the Lightspeed thing, I took the Lightspeed off the board, put my Tumnus mini back on the board and tested stacking: Tumnus > Belle > REVV G2 > Hoof. You can use the Tumnus to kick up the midrange of any one of the other pedals. It pushes the Belle nicely. And the Belle pushes the G2 nicely as well. Much different than pushing with the Tumnus of course, but still nice. All in all, I'm very happy with the Belle and it will stay on the board awaiting a time I can play it with more volume at our rehearsal space.

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
So, mine showed up today. I took my Tumnus mini off the board so that I could put the Belle on the board side by side with the Lightspeed playing at low volume. I found that the Belle can do everything the Lightspeed can do, which is really only one thing: a convincing low gain, amp like breakup. Beyond that, the Belle Color control can bring out more midrange if you want it and you can use the bass control to set the bass content anywhere that suits you. Once I was convinced that the Belle could do the Lightspeed thing, I took the Lightspeed off the board, put my Tumnus mini back on the board and tested stacking: Tumnus > Belle > REVV G2 > Hoof. You can use the Tumnus to kick up the midrange of any one of the other pedals. It pushes the Belle nicely. And the Belle pushes the G2 nicely as well. Much different than pushing with the Tumnus of course, but still nice. All in all, I'm very happy with the Belle and it will stay on the board awaiting a time I can play it with more volume at our rehearsal space.
I have a tumnus also on the board and was playing around with stacking those. I use a Mesa Tone Burst and using that to push the Belle sounds great too. I think I'm in the same boat and will be keeping the Belle on the board full time. I find myself preferring lower gain options I can stack these days and this one is tweakable for the amp/guitar you're using. It's a good buy.

Homerunjack

Just got my pedal this morning. Totally bitchin’ pedal. Cleans up, nice sustain and smooth sound. Lots of options for your overdrive needs. Easy to dial in to suite any amp. Very single coil and humbucker friendly. And to be honest, don’t be surprised if you give some of your other pedals the boot! Highly recommend.

BJW

I've got 1 on the way. Looking forward to it, and comparing it to my Rockett GTO. Sounds promising!

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I've got 1 on the way. Looking forward to it, and comparing it to my Rockett GTO. Sounds promising!

I'll be interested in that- it's been my understanding that the GTO is basically a higher-gain ODR1/Chicken Soup...

stilesg57

Very interested in that comparison as well :) Finally listened to the demo w/ Brian and I'm probably going to make this a thanksgiving present to myself in the next couple weeks.

BJW

I'll be interested in that- it's been my understanding that the GTO is basically a higher-gain ODR1/Chicken Soup...
Very interested in that comparison as well :) Finally listened to the demo w/ Brian and I'm probably going to make this a thanksgiving present to myself in the next couple weeks.
I got the Belle, buuuut I have the GTO on loan to a friend & need to get it back lol. I dig the Belle, been using it with a Tele so far. Seems a little more tweakable with the addition of the clipping switch. I dig the Belle for sure, the clipping button is a nice addition, at least imho. Been awhile since I've played the GTO, but going by the last few days noodling with the Belle, I seem to be favoring the Belle. So far been using it with an EP Booster before & after. Favoring the EP after the Belle. Need to stack it with a few different pedals & go from there.

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
Further on this, I'm looking at the Belle to possibly replace my Greer Lightspeed for low gain tones. The Lightspeed will be tough to kick off my board, but if I can get a great low gain tone with some additional tone shaping thrown in, I'd be ok with that.
The Lightspeed and Nobels ODR-1 tones are two different things.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Someone did a Wampler Belle Overdrive vs Nordland ODR-C "comparison" demo:
I that video, the Nordland sounds a little better to me- not $150 better, but it does have a mids control, so it might be a little more versatile for tone shaping. I would like them to have used the ODC control (is this compression?) compared to the Belle's side switch.

Trending Topics