• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wampler Cranked AC Pedal

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I just got the Wampler Cranked AC pedal today. Even though the pedal sounds great overall, it sounds really muffled w/ my guitars (humbuckers). I also compared it to all of my other pedals (Lovekraft Chupa, Mojo Drive, CMatmods Buttah,etc.) Very dark sounding pedal. Not sure if that`s what Brian had in my with the design. The basic od/dist sound sound great, kind of right between a AC30 & Marshall Plexi . I`m ending up sending it back to try out his new Flexi Drive pedal figuring it`s in the same ballpark but has more tonal control. Brian definetly has a good ear for overdrive/distortion!

aziltz

maybe contact him first. he's been known to suggest easy mods to change things like that.

he's releasing a kit version of the AC in april, I'm excited!

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
I just got the Wampler Cranked AC pedal today. Even though the pedal sounds great overall, it sounds really muffled w/ my guitars (humbuckers). I also compared it to all of my other pedals (Lovekraft Chupa, Mojo Drive, CMatmods Buttah,etc.) Very dark sounding pedal. Not sure if that`s what Brian had in my with the design. The basic od/dist sound sound great, kind of right between a AC30 & Marshall Plexi . I`m ending up sending it back to try out his new Flexi Drive pedal figuring it`s in the same ballpark but has more tonal control. Brian definetly has a good ear for overdrive/distortion!
Curious as to what kind of amp you played it through?

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I played through the clean channel of my Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55 1x12 set pretty much like I have for the last couple of years. Treble around 7, mids at 2-3, bass 3-4, presence at 6-7. It seems to be only on this pedal compared to the others.

I play single coils... And when I borrowed one I thought it was really bright (like an ac30), so yeah Id look into that! I like it alot, It can get really really really gainy. Its a pretty amp like pedal (for what that means).

aziltz

how wide is its low-mid gain range? I'm more of a fan of TPetty than BMay... Petty uses almost every flavor of AC30 through his music.

oxtone

JD,

Thanks for the review. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I thought the Cranked AC sounded very good on Brian's website. Let me know what you think of the Flexi Drive - would like to hear it! Give me call when you get it, and let's get together at Willie's or LaVonnes.

You sure had GREAT TONE last week at Fam Daves! Your LoveKraft and CMat Mods pedals sounded GREAT!

sodapopinski

i LOVE my cranked AC... i play through my Thinline Tele that has Lollar Imperial Humbuckers into my DeVille 212. I agree that it can sound muddy, but i set the tone knob at around 1 o'clock and it sings. I really love the sound of this pedal, good stuff

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Aziltz not sure how to describe the midrange accurately due to the lack of treble. All I can say is the pedal sounds great, but it sounds like someone put a blanket over my amp. Hey Mike(OXtone) I sent you a reply, come on out Saturday if yo can.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I felt the same way about the CrankedAC and e-mailed Brian about it. I clipped one of the (small green) capacitors at the end of the circuit (low pass filter) and it opened it right up. I think it was .005uF.
I really like mine; backing off on the gain and upping the volume will give it a little jangle/chime. It has lots of gain on tap, though.

aziltz

Aziltz not sure how to describe the midrange accurately due to the lack of treble. All I can say is the pedal sounds great, but it sounds like someone put a blanket over my amp. Hey Mike(OXtone) I sent you a reply, come on out Saturday if yo can.

sorry i meant to ask about the lower gain settings (low to medium gain), not really the midrange sound.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
The little bit I tried it like that, I thought it sounded very good. But I need to preface I`m not a Vox AC 30 owner, so I`m not sure how precise it emalutes that sound.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
That is very interesting feedback. The sound clips on the web-site did not sound dark to my ear. I thought the pedal sounded extremely dynamic and cleaned up nicely with the guitar volume. I am strongly considering a Cranked AC pedal to front end my Zendrive and TIM. I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with either humbuckers or single coils. Can anyone else offer some feedback on this pedal?

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Bucksears thanks for the info. I`ll wait to hear from Brian and see what he wants me to do. I`ll let everyone know how it turns out!

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, I tried emailing him at his website. He must be swamped w/ requests.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Just got an email from Brian Wamplers asst. Cathy Messick. And she said to just mail the pedal back no problems, and sorry it didn`t work out for me. So I guess I`m on to the Flex Drive next. Nice people to do bussiness with!

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
You can also try an EQ. I use the TIM for that purpose to help shape my tone. I am betting that it would work with the Cranked AC.

henke

I'm playing a Ceriatone Dizzy 30 (Matchless DC30 clone, which as I understand it is their take on the AC30 and AC15?) and I love the sound of it all the way, from clean to overdrive. But I'd like a great OD/distortion pedal and this one seems mighty fine. I just finished listening to this clip:

I guess it would sound great with a DC30, but what's your experiences/thoughts?

Trending Topics