• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wampler Cranked AC

aziltz

I'm thinking about building one of these new kits from Brian when they come out.

Those of you that are using a CrankedAC, how does it do on lower gain settings? I'm looking for that bright, chimey crunch that Tom Petty gets when he rocks out.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
What other overdrive pedals do you have in your chain? What other overdrive pedals did you specifically compare the Cranked AC with?

sodapopinski

i have a Zendrive 2 and a Timmy, i love all 3 for different reasons and think the Wampler is great for low gain, especially when you roll off the volume knob on the guitar.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
That is interesting. I have a Zendrive that is stacked into a TIM. I love that combination. I thought the Cranked AC was a slightly high gain pedal that could be used first in my chain. From the video demos, it does seem very touch sensitive and have the ability to clean up nicely with the guitar volume.

sodapopinski

yeah, i stack my zen into the timmy, i love it. I primarily use the Cranked AC as a fairly heavy distortion it is very pleasing to my ears :)

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
That is great. I am considering the cranked AC, but I also like what I have seen from the Blackstone, and the versatility that it offers with the 2 channels as a front end overdrive. I also like the Oceanefx Pearl Drive, how it cops the marshall sound.

skyn

I've got a Cranked AC on loan from a friend. I love it. I find its pick-responsiveness to be more sensitive then my OCD v3. However there seems to be an incessant hum/crackling sound when engaged. No idea if mine might have been a dud.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Are you experiencing any issues with having to keep the tone knob close to full clockwise on the Cranked AC?

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I had to clip the .005uF cap at the end of the Low Pass filter to brighten mine up; that made it a keeper.
The 'taking a blanket off my amp' term applies here.

aziltz

i've heard that some think its a bit dark... are you using hums or a dark amp?

i play a tele into a Blues Jr. and everything about my rig is set bright.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Yep, and didn't look back. I just cut it out with some wire clippers.
It was a small green cap (polyester?) in the lower right corner of the circuit.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Bucksears. Curious, what other overdrive pedals are you using with the Cranked AC? I was also looking at a Wampler Plexidrive.

hudpucker

Hmmm.....I've ordered a Cranked AC and I find this all veddy eeenteresting.

Then again, I find myself becoming a huge fan of Brian's pedals.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks Bucksears. Curious, what other overdrive pedals are you using with the Cranked AC? I was also looking at a Wampler Plexidrive.
I'm going to buy the Plexidrive kit when it comes available so I can mod it for a little more gain. I'm also using a BSIAB II, GGG Big Muff and a Dr. Boogey, all built from scratch, no kits. I've also got a GGG Boutique Fuzz Face and a GGG Boutique Bender, waiting in the wings to be modified.
I don't stack pedals because I've never had any luck with it and I don't like the idea of having to use two overdrive pedals to get one sound. To each his own, if that's what you like, though.

aziltz

I'm going to buy the Plexidrive kit when it comes available so I can mod it for a little more gain. I'm also using a BSIAB II, GGG Big Muff and a Dr. Boogey, all built from scratch, no kits. I've also got a GGG Boutique Fuzz Face and a GGG Boutique Bender, waiting in the wings to be modified.
I don't stack pedals because I've never had any luck with it and I don't like the idea of having to use two overdrive pedals to get one sound. To each his own, if that's what you like, though.
i'm going to grab the AC kit and hopefully the Super Ecstacy, if he makes a kit for that as well.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
what amp do you use?
I'm running into a Super Reverb, but it's going into a head cab (to be used with a matching 2x12 cab) and is being modified with a (Bassman) Mercury Mag OT for a 4ohm load, and a SS rectifier for 50w output.
According to Yontz (at Mad Science Works, here in Raleigh), it should sound similar to an early 60's BF Bassman.
Easily the most pedal-friendly amp I've owned.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I only use the clean channel, but it does provide a nice platform for effects pedals.

Trending Topics