Wampler Ego Squasher Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cber1517, Mar 11, 2008.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Anybody tried one of these yet? How does it compare to the Tone Press?

Thanks!

:munch

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Is it still on the website? I can't find it.

3. cber1517

cber1517 Member

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Sounds good in the vid. Its a bit big and pricey tho. I might stick with the barber.

5. dr.circles

dr.circles Member

Anybody played one of these yet? I've got one in the mail. I bought it based on the vid and website description, but I'd like to hear any players' reports out there.

6. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I think it's well designed and the size is the same as Barber's. I have a Barber and I'm pretty happy with so I am not switching anytime soon. I wish I could play on one to really judge with the Tone Press side by side.

7. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

I have one on order too... patiently waiting.

The clips showcase it's versatility. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in a live band situation.

8. dr.circles

dr.circles Member

A friend and I did a comparison between the Ego Squasher and a 2 knob Keeley compressor earlier today. The Ego Squasher is definitely more versatile and has a warmer sound. The Ego Squasher was also considerably less noisy when engaged. However, the articulation was not quite as nice on the Ego Squasher. It's not a huge difference, though- it would never be noticed in a live situation. All in all, the Ego Squasher is excellent and will be a keeper for me.

9. jjones

jjones Member

any updated feedback on the ego squasher?

I'm looking at going back to using a compressor and this one seems really nice from the video clip. For reference I have used the barber, bi-comp, retro comp, diamond and janglebox.

10. Burgs

Burgs Member

FWIW, I have a couple of Brian's other pedals - Brent Mason Hot Wired OD/Dist and the Pinnacle II. Both are great, particularly the Hot Wired. Wampler thinks outside of the square a little, not trying to reinvent the wheel but constantly trying to improve it, so I'm guessing his Ego Squasher will be good too.

11. cber1517

cber1517 Member

:horse

Let's see if I can get any feedback from youse guys on the new Ego Compressor. I checked out the new YouTube demo and am very impressed with the tone of this thing. Does anyone have the original, larger Ego Compressor or this latest version?

Santa is waiting for an answer! Thanks!

:munch

12. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

Just a side note - the newest version in the smaller box is the exact same circuit, EXCEPT that I added a bright switch so it was possible to get more articulation and clarity as mentioned by a previous poster. Also, instead of a switch controlling attack, there is a knob now.
    :)
    bw

13. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Thanks for chiming in, Brian!

14. grrsound

grrsound Member

We were in the studio last week and the Lead guitarist on our project used the original version (larger box) and it was great. So much so that I am placing my order. I emailed Brian about the difference between the old and new and he replied the same day (that can't always be the case but Brian takes customer service very serious!). I have owned a Keeley and the Barber both are great pedals but not exactly what I wanted. I am going to try the Ego and see. As for what I saw and heard or didn't hear in this case, the tone was very transparent but you could tell when it was not on. Sometimes to get some OD from the amp the lead would boost the volume on the Ego. He used a Strat and a couple of Telecasters into a Dr Z Z28. As far as I know it was on all the time and he was very pleased with the pedal. He also had been through several compressors. I will report more when I get mine.
    dl

15. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I have been gassing for an Ego Comp for about 10 months now. Every time I go to pull the trigger I get nailed with something out of the blue that takes all of my money away. :FM

Brian answered several of my emails and has gone above and beyond for me. The Ego is the next piece of gear that I will be buying.

16. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

17. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Wow, that is some great pickin'. I just got the new pedal today and it is awesome. Very nice looking, but I don't know how to set the knobs to get good compression, on Brians' video, he has an Anolog delay in front of it, so that really boosts it. How do you set the knobs on the big version.
    The small version sounds very transparent, but you can get some good tone from it, but no squash like a Keeley or Dyna comp.
    Jim

18. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Anybody got any new reviews/updates on the Ego Comp?

19. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I went in to True Tone on my lunch break and the Ego Compressor caught my eye. I have a Pale Green Compressor, a Dyna Comp and a Keeley at home, the store had a Keeley so I had the Keeley next to the Ego, so I was comparing to something I know.

I was very impressed with the Ego, with the Attack and Sustain dimed I preferred the squash tone over the Keeley, it pumped as much as the Keeley but in a different and very cool way. If I get this compressor I'll still be keeping my Keeley because I like what the Keeley does, it's different enough.

A funny thing happened when I would switch out compressors, when I plugged the plugs back into the Ego it would go dead for a second, then get distorted, then clean up and be great after about 15 seconds, I found this to be odd, maybe a weak battery.

But what I liked the most about this compressor is it preserved the natural tone of the guitar, you could really hear the wood coming through. It's different than any compressor I've tried.

Well I didn't have enough time on my lunch break so I didn't buy it, but the tone is haunting me, so I'll go back in some time when I really can get a chance to kick the tires, chances are I'll go for it because I liked what I heard. And I would like to know that was going on with the ramp up time when I plug it in.

20. enge

enge Member

I've had one now for 6 months and lovin' it. I've tried a bunch in the past and never really happy. The last I had was an original JangleBox. I sold the JB within 2 weeks of owning this. It's got the clean "blend" knob which is very cool. Also the "bright" switch really gives me the jangle with my 12-string. Brian is a genius in my book!!!:bow