Wampler Euphoria/Barber Burn Unit/Quinn Hot Buttered Scotch

moonboots

I'm curious to find out how a D-inspired pedal sounds and feels for myself. Seems like it might be right up my alley. Anybody play any of the pedals I listed in the title or something similar? Thoughts? Suggestions? The only one my local shop MIGHT end up getting in the Euphoria, so trying them out for myself is a long shot. These 3 boxes are basically what I've been considering given availability/price/versatility (as in...not just smooth and glassy..but can also get more saturated if I need it to). The new Mojo Hand DMBL pedal look promising, too. Just wanted to see if anybody has experience with these.

ghostrider

I have the Euphoria. I've never tried the others on your list so I can't say how it compares but I absolutely love it with my strat and DRRI. It sounds really smooth and natural and can be set to be very transparent.

I won't be selling mine anytime soob. That's for sure.

adjeff2706

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't have experience with the other two, but I recently picked up a Burn Unit and so far I am very impressed. Wide range of OD tones on tap, and I haven't even started messing with the internal trim pots. I like having two channels, too. Plus the price is very reasonable, IMO. I guess one drawback could be the size, if space is limited on your pedalboard.

HaloMaster

Gold Supporting Member
The Burn Unit is killer, and if size is a problem then just get a Small Fry its a single channel burn unit. I didn't care for the euphoria, I didn't like the way it felt either. I have a zendrive and the Burn Unit is more in that vein. The Burn unit is quite flexible too, with the dynamics control. I'm very partial to the Burn Units if you can't tell!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

ES330

Between the Wampler and the Quinn... Wampler all the way !!!!
The HBS was a very hard sounding pedal...

Haven't tried the Barber

MaxTwang

The Wampler Dual Fusion is another one to consider as 1 channel is based on the Euphoria, the other channel is based on the Paisley Drive and they stack really well together.

If your goal is a D-Style pedal for stereotypical D-style tones then the Ethos really stands out, but if you're looking to use a bit of the D-vibe to build your own tone then look at the Euphoria or Dual Fusion.

moonboots

The Wampler Dual Fusion is another one to consider as 1 channel is based on the Euphoria, the other channel is based on the Paisley Drive and they stack really well together.

If your goal is a D-Style pedal for stereotypical D-style tones then the Ethos really stands out, but if you're looking to use a bit of the D-vibe to build your own tone then look at the Euphoria or Dual Fusion.
The ethos would be my first choice. I've wanted one since before I ever heard of a D-style overdrive. I saw a demo a while back for it when I was looking into an overdrive with a speaker simulator for home demo recording. It blew me away immediately. I said to myself "This is the sound in my head. I need this". Then I saw the price tag. And it's still a bit out of my price range at the moment. It's also too big to fit it into my board. At least right now. I'm sure it's worth it...maybe one day. I've always loved the way it sounds judging from videos I've seen.

moonboots

I don't have experience with the other two, but I recently picked up a Burn Unit and so far I am very impressed. Wide range of OD tones on tap, and I haven't even started messing with the internal trim pots. I like having two channels, too. Plus the price is very reasonable, IMO. I guess one drawback could be the size, if space is limited on your pedalboard.
I might end up getting the Burn Unit. The size is a a drawback, though. That's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The second channel justifies it's size...but it would still be tough to squeeze it into my board. I'd probably have to swap out more than just my current overdrive to fit it. How do the 2 channels compare to each other?

mysterious1s

I have the Euphoria. I've never tried the others on your list so I can't say how it compares but I absolutely love it with my strat and DRRI. It sounds really smooth and natural and can be set to be very transparent.

I won't be selling mine anytime soob. That's for sure.
Same setup and same opinion here, once i realized that I needed to turn the bass knob almost all the way off. Now I love it!

stevecuss

I have the Euphoria (actually older Ecstacy version) and I really love it. I've never played an actual Dumble amp (!!) but yes, it can emulate those same smooth, responsive tones that D style is famous for.

Best thing about the Euphoria is the toggle switch - it really gives 3 very different gain structures to play with. Bass and Treble on tap for days. I've only had the pedal for a few weeks, but I get why it is so regarded.

I've not played the other pedals you mentioned, so I'm not helpful in comparing

Wesman61

Silver Supporting Member
I might end up getting the Burn Unit. The size is a a drawback, though. That's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The second channel justifies it's size...but it would still be tough to squeeze it into my board. I'd probably have to swap out more than just my current overdrive to fit it. How do the 2 channels compare to each other?
Not really a 2 channel pedal. It switches between two volumes and drive controls. All other controls are shared. I love it not only for the Dumblish tones but for the other tones as well. I really like the Santana setting. I think it's a great pedal and would gladly make room on my board for it if I could find a deal on one.

rh

Robo Sapien NoiseMaker
Double Platinum Member
I have an original Burn Unit. Here is it going into a 64 Twin Reverb, relatively low volume. Have never heard another pedal do what it does, the way that it does it (0:19 specifically):

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/robotpoet/wish-i-could-find-another[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Have tried the two channel, bigger Burn Unit and Small Fry, and just picked up a Euphoria but haven't spent much time with it yet.