Wampler Faux tape Echo Vs Diamond Memory Lane Junior

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by macmax77, Feb 25, 2012.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Hi , can anyone share some input on both pedals?

It seems i can't decide which one to buy even thou they are world's apart in sound.

I appreciate the input guys.

2. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I can't share input on both pedals but the ML Jr. is my fav' delay right now... possibly tied with the El Capistan.
    I think the FTE is a cleaner tape sounding delay with wow and flutter modulation.
    The ML Jr. is more analog sounding in nature and the modulation is a beautiful chorus type effect... that may reach into vibrato at maximum mod settings, I think anyway.

3. johann

johann Member

I'm loving the Wampler right now, can't say nothing of the ML because I haven't tried it. But the FTE is really clean, what I love about it is its modulation...is not a chorus or vibrato, is kinda like a "doubling" effect

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I havr tried so many delay pedals its crazy. Faux Tape Echo dollar for dollar is one of the best delays ive tried. I havent played mine in awhile because ive been using the VMSD but i wont part with the FTE. It really is a very nice sounding and versatile delay. I had a FTE and sold it last year only to buy another.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

6. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Member

I'm interested in some input on both of these as well. I'm looking to add another delay and it is between these two.

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior Member

Diamond! you get a tap tempo too and it's an amazing delay!

Just my shout, but I haven't tried the Wampler, but Wampler make amazing pedals.

8. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I have both. I use the Wampler for a short slap back and the MLJ for everything else. The Diamond is the best sounding and usefull of the two. I'd easily recomend the Diamond.

9. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior Member

:idea hint hint!

10. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

I've owned both. They're both really good. The best for you kinda depends on certain features that are unique to the other (tap on MLjr, picking dynamic mod on FTE). Compared to each other, my thoughts are:

The MLjr has better tone: warmer, but just as articulate.

The MLjr has more features but no more complicated interface.

The MLjr has both longer max delay and a great analog mode.

The FTE has better oscillation edge and feedback i.e. it sounds like a proper analog delay when allowed to run away. The edge of oscillation threshold is easy to dial in, too.

If oscillation is important to you then the FTE is a better choice. The picking dynamic-based modulation mix is a great feature. My only criticism of it is that when using higher gain the dynamic envelope is much harder to control, defaulting to always on. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

The MLjr is the winner IMO if you're looking for a one delay for everything and superior tone (both sound great in a live mix but A/B'd in the studio the Diamond stands out).

Hope this random, anonymous internet opinion helps! :)

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior Member

Let's stick with the objectives - or we'll all be :nuts :nuts

I agree though! :p

Which makes me a hypocrite :facepalm

12. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I second this! He puts it perfectly.

I will say, they both have killer good repeat tones, which is my #1 factor when buying delay, FTE is has really nice warmth and some interesting movement. For my money though, the ML Jr. may be the best/my favorite pedal of all time, so it's a clear winner to me.

13. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

I have both and love both. Do any of you still have the pedals you wrote about in this thread from years ago?

14. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

...and don't forget the Diamond Counterpoint Delay ...that has a slightly different bag of tricks.

-bEn r.

SmartAlex likes this.
  15. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

I chose the MLjr over the Counterpoint.