Wampler gets it

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by David MacNeill, Mar 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

I am brutally picky about my pedals. If there’s a hiss or whine, I’ll hear it. If it doesn’t inspire me, I’ll find another home for it. Every knob setting has to be musical or it’s history.

I have tried every major brand and style and my pedalboards are slowly filling up with Wamplers, currently four. They simply do everything I expect and add something lovely that I didn’t expect at all. Sometimes it’s not the latest version, it’s a discontinued model that does the trick; in any case I always buy two as insurance.

Is it because Brian Wampler is a good guitarist whose style I happen to enjoy and whose taste in players I share? Maybe. Is it because his pedals aren’t festooned with dumb trendy graphics and garish paint jobs? Partly. It is because they are quiet and don’t alter my core guitar tone at all unless I want them to? Certainly. Is it because they are consistently musical? Definitely.

Are they always perfect? No. I’ve tried one or two that didn’t light my fire but the rest are all keepers. I’ve never bought more than a single model of any pedal in my long musical life, except Wamplers — even current models like the Ethereal and the Reflection (I just bought a spare on the emporium this morning). I want them in my life and I’m not taking any chances.

They are just that good.

PS: I don’t know anyone at a Wampler and I think their podcast is kinda goofy, but these pedals are among the best you can get and I just wanted to tell y’all about them.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. Colamander

Colamander Member

Hmmm Wampler, you say? Never heard of them

3. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Supporting Member

Which ones do you have that are keepers?

4. David MacNeill

In order of purchase, Paisley Drive V1, Faux Analog Echo (orange silkscreen), Ethereal Delay/Reverb, and Reflection Reverb. I own (or have coming) two of each.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Cool. I really like the Latitude Deluxe. Tumnus and Clarksdale are pretty good as well. The rest have been very meh for me. They are solid, but ultimately kinda boring. Wampler Pedals make me sometimes wonder how much I hear with my eyes. Do they sound kinda meh to me because they look quite boring? I don’t know, but I bet if they changed their design I would give them perhaps a bit more attention.

Felipe Uchida and Blues Wail like this.
  6. abby_normal

abby_normal Member

Tumnus Deluxe is a pretty good clone, actually better with it's active bass and mid controls.

7. David MacNeill

I was actually pricing a Tumnus this morning!

rawkguitarist, HERSCHEL, xcc and 2 others like this.
  8. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I always found them mediocre at best. Decent, but nothing that ever made me go, wow this is it right here! Always down to try new offerings from them, but have yet to find even a single keeper.

9. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

Dear Mr. Wampler,
    Please make a Leviathan Fuzz 'deluxe'/reissue/v2 pedal with twice the output volume and the ability to foot-switch btw germanium and silicon so I can quit buying fuzz pedals.
    Thanks
    p.s.
    Agree with OP

Cgkindler and David MacNeill like this.
  10. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

Sold all of my Wampler pedals except the Paisley Drive. The Paisley Drive is a real keeper, the others were kind of meh. Particularly the Velvet Fuzz. That had to be one of the worst Fuzz pedals I've ever tried to use..

jcshirke and GtrGeorge! like this.
  11. David MacNeill

I don’t seek pedals that draw attention to themselves. I want them to draw attention to me. 8~)

12. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

They seem to me to be really good all around pedals. Drives I’ve always really liked. The Plexi Drive is a classic IMO and one I always keep around for the Marshall thing if I need. Distortions have always worked well for me too.

David MacNeill likes this.
  13. Simto

Simto Member

Love their drive and distortion pedals. I think they're some of the best you can get.

14. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

I had a plexi drive recently and the plexi side wasnt really what I was going for but the boost side which I read was ts style was amazing, I have heard the same about the boost on the thirty something which I believe is treble booster flavored, I wish he would do a tri boost where you can toggle between the plexi boost, thirty boost and a clean boost in one pedal

BenB123 and CarlGuitarist like this.
  15. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

I was impressed with the '65 Black. Very amp-like. Still returned it though.

Chrosa and Pixies2005 like this.
  16. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've had a lot of Wampler stuff. I would love to have a Paisley and a Pinnacle again!

Blues Wail and David MacNeill like this.
  17. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

I have a few, and really like them. One interesting thing / warning is that he often designs them such that a particular knob should be started at 0 rather than noon. One really needs to read the manual with his stuff.
    Keepers I have and enjoy are the Tumnus Deluxe (sold my gold Klon), Plexidrive Deluxe, and Euphoria.
    I also have a Plextortion for when I get an urge to go 80s hair metal.

HERSCHEL and David MacNeill like this.
  18. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Like most brands of pedals, some work great for the buyer, some meh, and some not well at all.

I've had great success with the Euphoria and Paisley v1. They've been my dynamic duo drive section for years now. And my pink Velvet Fuzz I like a lot, but being a lower-gain player, I don't feel comfortable recommending ANY fuzz, there are plenty of fuzz junkies on TGP that really know fuzz.

I DO like Brian's approach to the biz, his contributions to the pedal community, and the fact he's often known to promote competitor's products side by side with his own. He's one of the builders I feel good about giving my money to, if that matters.

19. Seymour Cash

Seymour Cash Supporting Member

I like playing through Wampler pedals because they help me keep my toxic masculinity in check.

Cgkindler, Alton, Bighump and 7 others like this.
  20. rhizomeman

rhizomeman Member

Currently using the Euphoria and Pinnacle . Both are very amp-like with great feel .

Pidgin English likes this.