Wampler Leviathan Fuzz - fantastic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FuzzFaceJ, Jan 30, 2012.

1. FuzzFaceJ

FuzzFaceJ Member

have one of these for a review I'm doing for my website, I'm more used to the traditional transistor based fuzzes, currently own a Monsterpiece NPN and GE, as well a Zvex Fuzz Factory.

this clipping diode stuff sure is neat though, I use my guitar with it more like a distortion pedal, volume typically on 10, and control the gain and eqing with the pedal itself, even with the differences to what I'm used to, I must say, this is fantastic! would have been GASing a lot longer ago if I just knew how much I'd dig this thing

the Germ diode setting, can be very warm, heavy, good for stuff as ranging as The Stooges, to Kyuss and so on, the silly-cone diodes produce a more compressed sound with more gain, still has a very nice tone though! perfect for heavy doom metal

this thing has boat loads of bass, but even with either it or the treble cranked, the tone never gets too harsh for my ears, the treble knob adds a beautiful bell-like treble-ness to your tone, very very sweet

this is my first regular post here, but figured this would be a good way to jump in

opinions on the Leviathan? :munch

2. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I have one on my board and like it a lot. It doesn't seem to get much attention here on TGP though. I find it to be about as distorted as I can imagine while still sounding "musical", and also find that it excels with single coils - though it also is great with humbuckers.

3. FuzzFaceJ

FuzzFaceJ Member

that thing just oozes tone, I really get a lot out of it with my Ibanez RG550 that has a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge, Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues single coil in middle, and Dimarzio Air Norton in neck, both humbuckers are wired with my 5 way switch for coil tapping in positions 4 and 2

combined with the Leviathan, there's literally an ocean of tones, been using it more than any other fuzz lately

4. FuzzFaceJ

FuzzFaceJ Member

and I agree, it always seems to sound musical, even with fuzz maxed out