Wampler Tweed '57 Signal Chain Placement?

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all,

I recently acquired a Wampler '57 from a fellow TGPer (shout-out to cmcrawford) and I'm just wondering whereabouts you guys place it in your signal chain/on your pedalboard?

I know that some people use it out front (maybe after tuner/comp/wah) as an OD pedal, and I know that others use it last in their chain as an amp simulator...

According to Brian, it "works equally well as a dedicated overdrive, or as a 'preamp' or 'tone shaper' that, when put at the end of your signal chain, can make any pedal before it sound and respond like you’re running it through whichever favorite amp of the time period you dial it in for."

Just wondering which you guys prefer? What's the consensus?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I use a decent amount of delay and modulation... Does the '57 handle other effects as well as Brian claims if it's last in line?

Last edited:
What kind of amp? Are you using its distortion? Does it have an effects loop? What other overdrive/distortion pedals are you using?

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
I'm using a stock Fender DRRI (although, I'm going to put an Eminence Rex in it later this week). I generally use it on bedroom levels and get my drive sounds from my pedals, typically, not my amplifier.

My OD/distortion side of my pedalboard seems to be ever-changing, but currently I've got an EHX English Muff'n, Boss DF-2, Recovery Bad Comrade, and a Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer clone. And then the Tweed '57, obviously...

And there's no effects loop in the DRRIs.

What kind of amp? Are you using its distortion? Does it have an effects loop? What other overdrive/distortion pedals are you using?

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Lots of guys don't keep their signatures updated, and you could also be referring to a special context.

I would highly recommend that you use the pedal as your primary tone if you're not going to use the amp's distortion. With that in mind, and also the fact that you're planning to use "a decent amount of delay and modulation", just build your effects chain like you normally would from there, with the Tweed '57 in front of the modulation, delay, reverb, etc., and the amp only being used as a power amp.

Kano6

Yeah, I run my Tweed '57 (and Plexi-Drive, but not at the same time) last in the effects chain before my Princeton Reverb. So that puts it before the amp reverb/trem. If I was using delay, I think I'd have that after the amps-in-boxes as well.

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Not at the beginning with this one, I stack pedals, play one into the other, and this one holds its own Really well with another distortion/drive going into it

Really like this pedal for that

It's also important to determine if you're wanting the final tone to sound authentically like a Fender Tweed or not. If so, then you aren't going to want to put any distortion in front of it. Tweeds were more saturated than the blackface series, but they were by no means high-gain amps.

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, so just to clarify, you'd recommend putting it after all my other drives but before my delays and modulation?
Take a peek at my signature... That is my exact signal chain (although, I did have to omit one or two because I ran out of room).
You can tell me EXACTLY where I should put it in my chain, if you want! :)
Thanks for the input, by the way...
Also, I play clean lots as well, so I don't know if I would call it my "primary" tone, but it will definitely be my go-to overdrive/dirt tone!

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Lots of guys don't keep their signatures updated, and you could also be referring to a special context.

I would highly recommend that you use the pedal as your primary tone if you're not going to use the amp's distortion. With that in mind, and also the fact that you're planning to use "a decent amount of delay and modulation", just build your effects chain like you normally would from there, with the Tweed '57 in front of the modulation, delay, reverb, etc., and the amp only being used as a power amp.

If you want to actually sound like a Tweed, none of your other drive pedals will be relevant because none of the ones you have listed will be on. A lot of what you have is frankly both unnecessary and completely out of place if authentic-sounding Tweed tones are going to be a regular choice for you. I'm talking to the point where you might want to consider just putting together a separate board altogether for when you want to go Tweed and leave the rest on the other board for when you're feeling a little more modern/experimental.

The basic formula would still be Tweed '57 > modulation > delay > reverb > amp. With the possible exception of the Xotic SP, none of the rest really belong with that sound, at least if authentic tone is your goal. In fact, even modulation is going to sound a bit out of place with a Tweed tone.

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
Haha I don't care at all about achieving "authentic" Tweed tones. This is just one of my pedals... It's not going to be on all of the time.
I'm not trying to achieve a tone off a certain album or artist.
I'm not playing Neil Young covers.
I just like the Tweed amp tones and can't justify buying a 2nd amp, so this wonderful little gadget from Mr. Wampler will suffice.

P.S. The "unnecessary and completely out of place" pedals are the most fun!
:D

If you want to actually sound like a Tweed, none of your other drive pedals will be relevant because none of the ones you have listed will be on. A lot of what you have is frankly both unnecessary and completely out of place if authentic-sounding Tweed tones are going to be a regular choice for you. I'm talking to the point where you might want to consider just putting together a separate board altogether for when you want to go Tweed and leave the rest on the other board for when you're feeling a little more modern/experimental.

The basic formula would still be Tweed '57 > modulation > delay > reverb > amp. With the possible exception of the Xotic SP, none of the rest really belong with that sound, at least if authentic tone is your goal. In fact, even modulation is going to sound a bit out of place with a Tweed tone.

Haha I don't care at all about achieving "authentic" Tweed tones. This is just one of my pedals... It's not going to be on all of the time.
I'm not trying to achieve a tone off a certain album or artist.
I'm not playing Neil Young covers.
I just like the Tweed amp tones and can't justify buying a 2nd amp, so this wonderful little gadget from Mr. Wampler will suffice.

P.S. The "unnecessary and completely out of place" pedals are the most fun!
:D
Okay, that's cool. Then it really doesn't matter where you put the thing in your chain. If you're not after anything specific, just try out some different configurations and see what you like. Heck, it would take you less time to do that than it has taken us to get to this point in the thread discussion. Happy experimenting!

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
This is true, this is true...
I had already been doing some experimenting, and figured I'd just ask for the sake of asking!
I wanted to know if there was a consensus on the subject, and was wondering what my fellow TGPers had to say about it...

And let's be honest... If wasting time was my main concern, I wouldn't have made a TGP account in the first place!

Okay, that's cool. Then it really doesn't matter where you put the thing in your chain. If you're not after anything specific, just try out some different configurations and see what you like. Heck, it would take you less time to do that than it has taken us to get to this point in the thread discussion. Happy experimenting!

Last edited:

JeffR

I have my Tweed '57 (along with the W Ecstasy) at the end of my dirt chain, for final tone shaping, before my modulations. I find it works best for me there.

Memphistokid

I use mine last in one of my loops and the last dirt box before the modulations, delay, and wah. I go for the tone pretty much what Brian Wampler gets in his demo video displaying the ZZ Top typeoverdrive. I love that thing!

Pazz

I use my Tweed '57 like others mentioned, the last dirt pedal, before chorus, delay and reverb.

I find the Tweed '57 to be a fantastic base for other pedals to be stacked into. I have the OCD or Rat or Timmy run into it. That said, the Tweed '57 sounds great on its own and provides quite a bit of versatility without anything else running into it.

The right answer is "whatever sounds best to YOU"!

Trending Topics