Wangs 2204 - is this thing legit?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Seems way too good to be true, a hand wired with good component 2204 clone in high quality small box headshell for ~$900?
Anyone with hands on experience?
If so why aren't these talked about vs. the Marshall SC20H, moreso than Ceriatone? Is it just "rep"?

vspeedwell

Seems way too good to be true, a hand wired with good component 2204 clone in high quality small box headshell for ~$900?
If so why aren't these talked about vs. the Marshall SC20H, moreso than Ceriatone? Is it just "rep"?

I would also like to know this.

Big Monk

Formerly EpiLP1985
Silver Supporting Member

They are cheap not because the components are cheap, or the build is subpar, but because of the cheaper labor in China where it’s built.

Biyang/WAUSA

They are cheap not because the components are cheap, or the build is subpar, but because of the cheaper labor in China where it’s built.
Correct,
Components cost about same as USA and Europe.
Legitimate, small batch production and family run, Wangs is 15 year old subsidiary of Biyang which is 18 years old company. And recently added LiveMaster 5 years old.

Attachments

• 2E3D4533-8934-479F-98A1-BB268B398047.jpeg
    2E3D4533-8934-479F-98A1-BB268B398047.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 75
  • B3AF68E6-2D3F-490A-859F-5278C3EFBDA0.jpeg
    B3AF68E6-2D3F-490A-859F-5278C3EFBDA0.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 4BD88798-023E-4C4D-90DB-123FE8828369.jpeg
    4BD88798-023E-4C4D-90DB-123FE8828369.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 788EDCBF-615E-4C7F-AB97-FF0959EAA872.jpeg
    788EDCBF-615E-4C7F-AB97-FF0959EAA872.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 70
  • B88D9011-E0A7-4C23-B4DE-B9315457EB3C.jpeg
    B88D9011-E0A7-4C23-B4DE-B9315457EB3C.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Certain branding (or non-branding) can drastically alter prices of amps as well as country of origin.

Most reviews of Wangs amps I’ve seen are pretty glowing reviews.

I saved a ton buying an unbranded amp recently. It was also a HW amp for really really low price but build quality is very good.

My guess is that you’d love the Wangs amps.

I think Sonic Drive Studio (Jon) has a couple of them he’s reviewed. He’s posted about them here.

tele_jas

There was a guy that lived about 35 miles from me, that is a US Wang's dealer...He's since moved, but is still a dealer. I believe he's a member here too??? But, he sometimes gets suspended, Lol....He can be a little "gruff" on some of his post/replies, but the products really seem good!

From everything I've read and heard, they seem to be top notch for amps even 3 to 4 times their price?

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve looked at them online before too, and had the same interest and concerns. Curious about TGP feedback for them.

gldtp99

These Chinese Wangs amps are a great value

I'm a retired amp builder from Texas and I can build my own 2204 type amps so I won't be buying any Wangs (or Grand) branded amps anytime soon

But you get a handwired 2204 type amp for less money than it would take for someone like me to buy the parts to build a comparable amp

I've looked at pics of their builds (well done, no problems) and watched vids of the amps in action

These are well built, good sounding amps

I don't know why they don't sell more of them here in the USA

I mean, people in China can solder just as well as people in other places

And a Tube Guitar Amp isn't as complex a device as many other modern devices (TV, Computers, Smart Phones, etc, etc) that are made in China

Last edited:

gldtp99

It could be the name.

Then buy this one --- It doesn't have a name on the front at all:

It's a Hiwatt DR504 clone --- made in China

cjs42079

what are the prices on these roughly?

ratedepth

Silver Supporting Member

What’s the difference between that one and this one?

That site could use some work. And some prices lol.

gldtp99

I don't know

I'm not affiliated with this seller

Contact them yourself and make your concerns known

Stand up for your rights and be pro-active !!

Long Live the Consumer !!!!!

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

PS -- I can build my own 2204 and Hiwatt DR504 clones ---- I don't need to buy clones built by anybody

But for the rest of you................

Last edited:

Biyang/WAUSA

Grand is a trade company in Shenzen that use a group of small builders to supply them as a common ‘team’ of OEM and /or brand.

Wangs is the manufacturer of their own amplifiers in a small family run shop 250 kl south of Mongolia in North Shanxi.

Both allow OEM as availability
Wangs allow ODM as a 1st party manufacturer and Wangs use their own proprietary transformer designs and power sections.

I am affiliated with Wangs now and have worked with Grand in the past.
Both provide quality products but are very different companies.

Grand offer no warranty support but are cheaper. Wangs have limited warranty support and are proprietary builds.

Question for @Biyang/WAUSA -

Does Wangs allow for any special requests in builds? Like effects loop, or PPIMV, or an amp without logo?

Just asking because it seems some are interested in unbranded.

Also, with these amps, the PPIMV is really great for getting cranked tones at lower volumes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom