Wangs 2204 - is this thing legit?

Biyang/WAUSA

Wangs has 12 models from 1w to 100w
Most of the PCB line have PPIMV
I’m not sure if #2204HW master volume is PPIMV though.

Custom builds and ODM require MOQ

Badges can be removed pretty easy

Amps are built to order or in small batch form

_7NationArmy_

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW, Wang (pronounces Wong) is the most common surname in the world (means "king").

If someone wanted me to take my family name off my product, I'd tell them: FU

My business card has both Chinese and English sides, and apparently my last name in Chinese is FU, which I find endlessly amusing but makes perfect sense to my Chinese colleagues.

Jkist7

So, racism?
Hes alluding to the fact that the word Wang is a fairly common euphemism for the male sex organ in many parts of the US. Its childish and immature, but yeah, the word is still used that way, often.

All of the youtube titles for these amps should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. All that said, the amps seem killer value for the price. Check this vid out:

The one complaint I hear is they cheap out on the tube sockets, and they will fail. Just what I heard, never owned one myself.

Biyang/WAUSA

Hes alluding to the fact that the word Wang is a fairly common euphemism for the male sex organ in many parts of the US. Its childish and immature, but yeah, the word is still used that way, often.

All of the youtube titles for these amps should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. All that said, the amps seem killer value for the price. Check this vid out:

The one complaint I hear is they cheap out on the tube sockets, and they will fail. Just what I heard, never owned one myself.

Depending on the region the family comes from and the many dialects, the family name ‘Wangs’ could be pronounced several ways.

Wong, Wang, Hwong, Whung, ect…

In this case, it is pronounced WONG
Owner is Wang Qi. “Wong Chee”

Last edited:

_7NationArmy_

Silver Supporting Member
Depending on the region the family comes from and the many dialects, the family name ‘Wangs’ could be pronounced several ways.

Wong, Wang, Hwong, Whung, ect…

In this case, it is pronounced WONG
Owner is Wang Qi. “Wong Chi”

In Darrell Braun's Wongs amp review, he starts off calling it "Wangs" but then shows that the company actually points out it is "Wongs" as well as acknowledging its childish alternative meaning in the US on their webpage.

Given all male guitar players value their wangs much more highly than their #1 guitars, it's really a perfect name!

Another great boutique Chinese guitar brand that none of the YouTubers can pronounce correctly is Shijie (I believe approximately "shh-jayuh", not "she-jee"). My Chinese colleagues suggest that translates as either "World's Best" or "Elite of the World".

The most famous guitar company in China is obviously Eastman. I'm not certain of the origin of the name, but it seems likely it has nothing to do with anything other than marketing, since the company was formed by China-born flutist Qian Ni, who went to Boston University School of Music, to make high-quality violins in China.

Last edited:

12TameMen

Hes alluding to the fact that the word Wang is a fairly common euphemism for the male sex organ

Equality baby!

freidman-pink-taco-head-18_2048x2048.jpg

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
These Chinese Wangs amps are a great value

I'm a retired amp builder from Texas and I can build my own 2204 type amps so I won't be buying any Wangs (or Grand) branded amps anytime soon

But you get a handwired 2204 type amp for less money than it would take for someone like me to buy the parts to build a comparable amp

I've looked at pics of their builds (well done, no problems) and watched vids of the amps in action

These are well built, good sounding amps

I don't know why they don't sell more of them here in the USA

I mean, people in China can solder just as well as people in other places

And a Tube Guitar Amp isn't as complex a device as many other modern devices (TV, Computers, Smart Phones, etc, etc) that are made in China

Because of the name?

12TameMen

What are you talking about ??

It's unfortunately a real thing with marketing in the states. Don't use a designator if even a 10% demographic may be offended by it.

True story. Years back I worked for a Co. that considered naming a new product 'Outcast'. It was targeted at a higher income middle aged bracket and the name got voted down because it hinted at certain verbiage in a certain book.

I mentioned Mike Dawes earlier. He plays a German brand. These would not sell in many parts of the USA. :cool:

Untitled.png

gldtp99

That Wangs might sound too Chinese for some people.

Ok

Then don't buy any of their products

It's ok with me

I'm a retired amp builder in Texas who can build my own clones, if I think I need more

I'm not Chinese --- my ancestors came from Ireland and Ukraine

I was letting people know that these Chinese amps existed

And that I think they are a wonderful value

You guys are coming off like you're got skin in the game

Why is that ?????

Ya'll wouldn't be shills (or Fanbois) for some amp company, would you ?????

Last edited:

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Ok

Then don't buy any of their products

It's ok with me

I'm a retired amp builder in Texas who can build my own clones, if I think I need more

I'm not Chinese --- my ancestors came from Ireland and Ukraine

I was letting people know that these Chinese amps existed

And that I think they are a wonderful value

You guys are coming off like you're got skin in the game

Why is that ?????

Ya'll wouldn't be shills (or Fanbois) for some amp company, would you ?????

I don't think you are getting me right.

I said that for some people the name might sound too Chinese, NOT for me.

I don't care for that, heck, If Putin himself starts making amps by hand and makes the best sounding amp out there, I'll get one and sit down with him and have some vodka while we speak about tone.

gldtp99

Oh

Okay

I'm glad you've cleared that up

And it's not just a case of your personal anti-Chinese bias

And that you support Mr putin, the president of russia

Last edited:

Top Bottom