Wanker vids.....purchasing tool, or marketing ploy?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by skydog, Apr 15, 2016.

1. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

You know the ones. Phenom player taking a for sale guitar out for a stroll. Are these simply entertainment for you, or do you actually see a benefit? After a few, they all start sounding the same to me, especially through my 1/4" ipad speaker.

2. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Not familiar with "wankers vids". Have a link to one?

3. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

If they're reviewing the guitar, I think it's very helpful. N-Stuff music comes to mind. Sure, they're obviously touting a product they're selling, but they're also giving players an example of how the guitar looks and sounds. I've used a lot of videos like that to help inform purchases of guitars I can't play beforehand.

4. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

By wanker, I assume you mean show-off? If that's what you meant, then no, I find them annoying and just watch something else. If it's a tasteful player who explores how the amp can sound at different settings and the video happens to be recorded well, I'll watch it for sure and it might heighten my interest.

5. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Like the Greg Koch stuff. I admire Greg as a player, showman, and comedian! I think the vids he does such as for Wildwood are entertaining. I just can't see basing a purchase on one.

RevWillie and T Dizz like this.
  6. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Like the phil X stuff? Or are you talking more "this model guitar" vs. "this exact guitar"?

7. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Just the normal "demo" ones.