wanna hear something crazy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JStizz, Jan 17, 2008.

1. JStizz

JStizz Member

long story:
    so, my house has a big room with a PA that we use as a rehearsal space and we also let a couple other bands share it with us for free, cuz we like them and theyr great people. well, one day, were sorting through the mess that is everyone's gear and as im sifting through my pile of guitars that i dont use i came across a guitar that i know wasnt mine...

a Fender Jaguar Baritone.

now, we asked all the other bands and our friends that come through the rehearsal space and no claimed it. since i, nor anyone of my roommates, has a need for a baritone guitar we are going to sell it and have it pay for our utilities for a few months.

short story:
    my roommates and i have discovered a baritone guitar in our house and no one has claimed it. we are going to sell it to pay for utilities.

moral:
    can someone please explain to me how to tune a baritone guitar? ive heard of a couple different ways so i am unclear. whats the point of a baritone?

2. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I'd probably hold out for a little while longer and just ask around to see if someone accidentally left it there. It was obviously someones honest mistake since baritone guitars dont come flying out of the sky randomly.

I can understand your motives and making some money to pay for utilities, but if and when the person comes back that accidentally left it there finds out you sold it, they might be a little sad.

Not to mention, its bad karma.

And to answer your question, I think bari's go from B to b.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

That's lame. :nono

Bryan

4. JStizz

JStizz Member

let me say, we found it in September and have been holding out because we were waiting for someone to claim it.

i dont think we're in the wrong here anymore.

5. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I agree with you JStizz...someone should have claimed the gtr by now. Dont worry about bad karma after all YOU are the one allowing other musicians to use the space for free and electricity ain't cheap. The bari is kind of a gift IMO.

I believe a bari is tuned in standard tuning intervales with the lowest string being an A one octave below the 5th string of the standard gtr. So it would be from low to high A D G C E A. I could be wrong about this though as I dont own a baritone but I always thought the bari was tuned above a bass but lower than a gtr.

6. Grandnoise

Grandnoise Member

Wow I wish that happened to me, I'd love a Jaguar Baritone.

7. JStizz

JStizz Member

we're trying to sell it. you interested?

8. JStizz

JStizz Member

i agree. my understanding is that it is a medium between standard guitar and bass. when we pulled it out of the case it was tuned just one octave below and guitar, E to e. but other baritones ive heard discussed are tuned either B to b (a perfect 5th down) or, as you said, A to a. so im stumped.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Setzer tunes his to "B".

10. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I dig then. As long as its been a reasonable amount of time.

Not that my opinion is going to do anything, hahaha.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

So, what have you lost from that pile, that you haven't noticed, yet?
    Better check.

12. JStizz

JStizz Member

we did an intensive cleaning a couple weeks ago and eveything i remembered was mine was there. im not worried. plus, we set some rules to make sure our space never gets that bad ever again.

13. Antero

Antero Member

Traditionally, the moral of a story is a statement rather than a question ;)
    A baritone guitar is tuned like a regular guitar, but a 4th or a 5th lower - B to B or A to A, generally.

What's the point of a bass?

14. JStizz

JStizz Member

alright Antero, i suppose you missed my sarcasm when i said "moral." i was implying "my reason for this post," if you will.

whats the point of bass? i assume to fill parts of the sonic spectrum that guitars and everything else cant. but my real question derives from the concept that a baritone is the medium between the two (guitar and bass) and if you already have a guitar player and a bass player, why have a baritone?

let me use an example:
    you have two players in a band setting: one plays bass or guitar, the other player can choose from what is left or a baritone. what does the other play? if you've already got guitar, whats the point in using it as a bass, cuz baritones cant go as low as a standard bass? and if you've already got bass, a baritone obvisously can't reach the upper range of a standard guitar, so again, whats the point in using it as a guitar?

just a thought. i guess im looking for a baritone player to chime in and say something profound...

15. webs

webs Supporting Member

Viola players have had that same question asked of them for centuries.
    "So, if we have cellos and violins, what are you good for?"
    The correct answer is to sit in between the two to keep them from fighting.

16. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

17. ghoti

ghoti Member

You know how a lot of bands have two guitars, bass, vocals, and drums? Well, if one of the guitars is a baritone guitar, it gives the band a different sound than a "regular" setup would.

It's kind of a "niche" instrument but there are some indie bands these days that use them. Metal and jazz also uses them, except usually they're 7-string baritone models there.

18. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Tuning to A or B are both acceptable and commonly used tunings for barrys.

I had mine tuned to B and it was a delight.