• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Want a Marshall - DLS40CR or save up for (SC20) JCM 800?

Bodhisattva

I have had a plexi 100 watt re-issue and cab and much prefer that for tone and aesthetics but it's just so impractical for me, not to mention so much more expensive.
I tried the marshall in a box pedal through my fender amp and... nah. Had an Origin 50 but traded it toward that fancy ass les paul in my sig. Thought about getting one of those used but seems to me the DLS40 with the master volumes is a bit more flexible with more gain and reverb.

Played the (SC20) studio classic JCM 800 in combo form the other day in GC and that was really nice as well, could probably find one of those used for a little over a grand. I think the DLS40cr is between 6 and 800 used or i could just go to GC and get a new one with the 45 days.

Mostly for classic hard rock. Kill Em All is about as metal as i'd go for playing. Jamming with my brother, playing along with backing tracks and recording. The occasional get-together with the homies but our jam crew has sort of disbanded with the Rona flareup.
Curious to hear from you marshall guys who have spent time with these which would you go for?

Thanks

Last edited:

Standby

Get the SC20 and Boss SD-1 pedal to boost it and you will happy all day long. Loud as heck. So loud you might even still need to attenuate it if the 5W mode is still too much. They really are studio amps, not small room amps. Can gig no problem. Will be louder than the loudest drummer in the room. The only thing you won't be louder than is the guitarist with the 100W amp version of that amp or another 100W beast.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I have both a DSL40C and SC20 (I think that’s what you’re talking about), but both are heads. I used to have a 100W Plexi too (yeah, it’s big and heavy).
  • The DSL has more gain, so for heavy music you’d need a pedal with the SC
  • Both are loud enough to hang with a band
  • Doesn’t the SC combo have a very small speaker, which would limit the low end?
  • For TV level playing both need an attenuator so you can crank the power tubes for full girth tone (otherwise the master volumes on those amps thin out the tone)

KennySchtillrokken

Why the higher (tad more than dbl) pricing for the Marshall SC20c over the DSL40CR? I have the latter, but always wonder brightly about the former.

Bodhisattva

I have both a DSL40C and SC20 (I think that’s what you’re talking about), but both are heads. I used to have a 100W Plexi too (yeah, it’s big and heavy).
  • The DSL has more gain, so for heavy music you’d need a pedal with the SC
  • Both are loud enough to hang with a band
  • Doesn’t the SC combo have a very small speaker, which would limit the low end?
  • For TV level playing both need an attenuator so you can crank the power tubes for full girth tone (otherwise the master volumes on those amps thin out the tone)
Thanks, yeah that's the one, edited post with the right model info.
Believe the combo has a 10'' speaker. Good point.

Aahzz

I love my DSL40CR. The nice thing about the DSL40CR is that it has 2 channels, each with 2 modes. If you use the included 2 button footswitch, you can switch channels but not modes. However, if you buy the available 6-button footswitch, you can effectively turn it into a 4-channel amp, because now all the modes are switchable. Also, the 2 master volumes can be controlled with the big footswitch, giving you a built-in boost, or you can assign different channels/modes to either master to level volume (and it remembers where you last had it) - it's just ridiculously flexible and sounds really good. The masters are also very effective, even in 40 watt mode you can get it down to apartment volume levels, yet it's still a loud beast when you need it to be.

John(aka: Moby Dick)

Silver Supporting Member
I have not played the SC20 but I have used a dsl40 and a guy I play with has a dsl40.
I have vintage(ish) Marshall’s I use and that dsl 40 hangs with my Jcm 800, jubilee, 6100 and 2150 amps very well in a band environment.

I think a used dsl40 is about the best tube amp value going.
They can be found used for under $500.

Last edited:

Standby

I have not played the SC20 but I have used a dsl40 and a guy I play with has a dsl40.
I have vintage(ish) Marshall’s I use and that dsl 40 hangs with my Jcm 800, 6100 and 2150 amps very well.

Yeah, the market was so flooded with them you can get them near-mint in some cases.

However, the Origin series should not be underestimated. It is Marshall's pedal-taking platform, very affordable, and has the crunch when you dial up the master.

As others have pointed out, the speaker size of the new Marshall combos is a bit off-putting for a lot of people. Personally, I would get the heads and not the combos because once you are in for one Studio head you more than likely will be considering another at some stage because they are exactly what people have been screaming for in the last two decades, lol. Marshall obviously just had to bite the bullet, recognize they couldn't keep pushing everyone to get the full-size amps, because of the competition, and finally caved in, giving people what they wanted.

Now we are all wondering if we should or not. :jo The answer is actually there in your past. Of course, you did.

Aahzz

I have vintage(ish) Marshall’s I use and that dsl 40 hangs with my Jcm 800, jubilee, 6100 and 2150 amps very well in a band environment.

The older 40C is easy to find under $500, the newer 40CR seems to go more like $600-ish when I've found them - though I admit I got mine for $400, because the seller listed it as a C rather than as a CR, and with no pics (Craigslist).

gtrguru

The DSL40 wins for price but the SC20 wins for tone. The matching SC cab makes a great sound of thunder. Haven't tried the 10" combo but I can't believe it would have the same monstrous tone. I thought the DSL was good but the SC is great

gtrguru

All of the combo reviews I've read are positive. Sometimes a 10" speaker does what is needed. I know my family would have preferred I got the combo instead of the 2x12.

Toby Krebs

The DSL40c is an excellent all around gigging or home amp.
I have a 50 watt Origin head that I like a lot.But for me at least it has to be turned up pretty good and have the right pedals in front of it to shine.
My little DSL40c doesn’t need anything to shine it’s a great tone generator without any pedals.I did change the speaker though the stock one is below average.

InkStained

This post should be a sticky response for these kinds of questions.

When in doubt, remember: 20 watts of Marshall is loud.

Get the SC20 and Boss SD-1 pedal to boost it and you will happy all day long. Loud as heck. So loud you might even still need to attenuate it if the 5W mode is still too much. They really are studio amps, not small room amps. Can gig no problem. Will be louder than the loudest drummer in the room. The only thing you won't be louder than is the guitarist with the 100W amp version of that amp or another 100W beast.

Bodhisattva

I have the DSL40CR and the six-button switch. As has been said, extremely versatile with sound options. Another thing I find is that the DSL40CE sound great both loud AND at low volume too, something I think that is important to the OP.
yeah looking for something i can jam along quietly (ish) at home or blow it out with friends here and there. Appreciate your response.. and from what i gather the "CR" is the one to get, since it has the MV. I saw a used C here at the local guitar center for about $470

Trending Topics

Top Bottom