Want a new piece of weight equipment - what to get next?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by zekmoe, Apr 29, 2016.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'm enjoying my home gym and want to add another work out station. I currently have:
    A good bench with leg extension and preacher curl attachments .
    A leverage squat machine. I don't want a traditional squat rack.
    A lat pull down with low row.
    A bike and elliptical machine
    Various good bars and free weights.

I'm thinking of either a body solid pec deck machine or a t-bar row. Should I consider something else? I probably don't have room for a cable crossover.

2. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

Best home gym equipment I've bought is a set of PowerBlocks 5-90 lb dumbbells and 3-position bench.

3. pepedede

pepedede Member

I think you would get the most benefit from the body solid pec deck machine, that is the machine I get the greatest improvement from at my gym. i don't know of any other machine that works the same group of muscles so effectively.

4. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

you need a new clothes hanger? o_O

StanG likes this.
  5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

pull bar
    plyo box
    some kettlebells

geek-mo and Wrmbrnr like this.
  6. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

What's a pull bar? A search comes up with stuff I don't think as gym related.
    I don't have the ceiling height to use a plyo box I think. I'm intrigued with kettle bell workouts but need to research how to use them. I'm not the Zumba type if they're used in that sort of context.

7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Sorry, meant a pull up bar!

Kettlebells - not zumba. Maybe the tiny ones. But get a couple 25lb or 35lb for starters and learn some of the basic exercises. Great workouts.

8. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I have dumbells in pairs to 55lbs each. The bench I have adjusts for incline and upright for shoulder presses. It doesn't offer decline which I miss from an actual gym.

9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'm considering a combo pull up/knee raise thing as well. I have to figure out whether it fits and I can do the pull ups without hitting my head as its in a finished basement and I'm 6ft3.

slowerhand likes this.
  10. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

They're probably expensive, but a cable cross machine is great. You can do so many things with that, and it's functional strength (working entire muscle groups in natural movements).

Maybe not what you're looking for, but a Concept2 rower is great too. It's a great aerobic workout, while working your legs, core, back and shoulders, biceps simultaneously... Like swimming, I think it's one of the most complete single exercises you can do. About 15 years ago, after years of only running, I started doing that and within weeks started getting more sculpted in my arms and deltoids, etc. It's a much more complete workout than the bike, and a top-quality machine can be had for 1000 bucks.

11. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I'm of the opinion that the next piece of gear isn't going to make you any better of a player. Focus on practicing.

oldhousescott likes this.
  12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Kettlebells!

Lifting with kettlebells has made it fun for me again.

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'll have to look closer at the kettle bells concept it seems.
    I have considered a water rower as well though wanted a strength piece as the bike and elliptical cover the aerobic side. I could possibly dump the bike for the rower.

14. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

In my experience you only need 3 things to work your entire body harder than it's ever been worked before. Post Hole Diggers, a Shovel and a Wheelbarrow.
    Makes me sore typing that out.

Tony Foran likes this.
  15. Porrig

Porrig Member

Best thing I ever got was a good set of TRX straps and a pullup bar.

16. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I suggest buying stuff through CL. The difference between new and used exercising equipment is staggering!

StanG likes this.
  17. AD1982

AD1982 Member

Dip station or conditioning ropes would be my step. When I actually cared about working out, these were my two favorite activities. Plus, they did wonders for my stamina.

18. Brutus

Brutus Member

Bench presses will give you all the chest size you need once you start moving some serious metal. A pec deck machine will get your pecs sore and fry your front deltoids, but not much else. If you must you can do flys on a flat bench with dumbbells. Whatever you get out of them will be basically the same as a machine and you'll save money.

19. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Peck deck = peck wreck for many users, just sayin.

20. Brutus

Brutus Member

You can do a lot more with a squat rack than just squats, but you'd need a pretty substantial piece of equipment. Hard to go wrong with a t-bar row. Heavy back work is key to building your upper body. Lots of muscle to be had there, and it tends to leak to other areas as well.