Want more "definition" from wound strings...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by BluePat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. BluePat

BluePat Member

I have a Marshall Master Lead 2204 that I like very much, but it seems to lack definition/clarity on the lower register of the guitar (wound strings), compared to the higher (unwound strings) Think woofy bass.

Kevin O'Connor's site mentions changing (reducing value) coupling caps between the phase splitter and the output tubes, but doesn't mention specific values. The theory is by decreasing the power of the fundamental frequencies, allowing the harmonics of the low notes to come through at full strength.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Pat

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Try going to the next smaller value. Say, if you have an .022uF, try replacing it with an .01 or even .015. You don't want to go overboard. :)

Mike

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Speakers can make a world of difference

4. WaltC

WaltC Member

I'm with RussB. 2204's generally speaking have a good, bright aggressive sound from low e to high e with the stock values of coupling caps. Have you been able to try the amp on a variety of cabinet and speaker combinations? It can really make a large difference...

5. BluePat

BluePat Member

I do notice a difference when switching between my 4 X 12 loaded with 25 watt greenbacks versus my 4 X 12 with G12-80's, the 80's have far better definition in the lower frequencies, but I really like the overall sound of the greenies, aside from the lack of definition on the wound strings they portray. I should also reveal that I use a far bit of gain (7 on the preamp) with a Boss SD-1 tweaked to give a clean boost type of thrust, so that may factor in as well. I might try Sozo's next lower value, as TweeDLX suggests.

Also to note is the Sozo's that are in there haven't had their requisite 100 hours of break-in, so maybe I'm being hasty in my analysis?..

Thanks,
    Pat

6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

You just said it yourself, it's the speakers! ;)

7. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

What guitar are you playing and what kind strings? I had a 2204 for a long time and I always had great definition on the low strings, no woof or fartiness at all, through all sorts of speakers. I played Fenders and a les paul copy. Also, when you mention caps, are you saying there has been recent work done on the amp? Could you describe what was done?

8. BluePat

BluePat Member

I have 3 Les Pauls, and they all have humbuckers in them, with average DC resistance (7K-9K ohms) Strings are generally GHS and I thought about the age/wear/gunk factor, but new strings have pretty much the same effect. The recent work done was I replaced all of the caps with Sozos, and before that I replaced the electrolytics with F & T's. New tubes equipped, biased to spec.

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Try lowering your pickups (or adjustable polepieces, if they have them) on the bass side.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Before you go hacking up the amp, check the bias and try a new set of tubes. Underbiasing, old power tubes, old preamp tubes, or just poor quality tubes all cause muddiness and lack of note definition. Turn the preamp down a little too. People seem to love to run those 2204's wide open, and sure enough, they lose definition.