Want somethink like Tone Pump chan 1...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mbratch, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I'm looking for a pedal that's something like channel 1 of the Barber Tone Pump, but I don't need two channels. So something just like it, or similar... Any ideas?

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I've asked Dave Barber that question, and there really is no single channel Tone Pump in the Barber line. I had one, and didn't need the 2nd channel either. It's pretty tube-screamer-ish, so any of the more transparent TS variants should do the trick. MI Audio Blues Pro seems pretty close, and so does the Analogman Silver TS.

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks popsongsmith. I will check those out.

I found the Tone Pump different than a TS in a couple of ways: (1) it's more touch sensitive, and (2) it's got more harmonic content.

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Have you tried the LTD? Maybe I,m not as picky but my LTDv1 w/mod sounds pretty close to my Pump. They're definitely in the Barber camp of sound. Also if you gotta have it, talk to him. He does custom projects from time to time.

6. fazen

fazen Member

I think they have a Direct Drive LG, which is a lower gain version of the Direct Drive.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

I've got an LTD. Great for classic, American, light distortion.

The Tone Pump is much heavier/thicker distortion, and sounds more "boutique" to me. So looking for something more like that, single channel, to complement the LTD.

8. lawrenh

lawrenh Member

Exactly what (if anything) is the difference between the two channels?

Also, is there a way to modify the pedal to connect the channels in series, to allow for the use of either one or both?

My reasoning is this: If I have 2 channels, and can't use them both together, I'm probably better off with 2 seperate pedals, right?