Want spitty fuzz: Fuzzrite/Astrotone/Univox Square Wave into dirty amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TJT79, Apr 20, 2015.

1. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Hi

Most fuzzes into a dirty amp get swamped by the amp's breakup and sound more like a drive or even a boost.

Looking at something quite spitty and spattery to keep some fuzzy character, going into a dirty 18-Watt clone. Something without too much bass frequencies to avoid muddiness, but with a rough, spitty texture. Not smooth fuzz!

Fuzzrite has been recommended, and sounds promising.

The Univox Square Wave was also mentioned, but I can't find much info on these.

Lastly the Astrotone was also mentioned - sounds great but may be a bit too polite and sound too much like overdrive?

I will be potentially mixing this with a Naga Viper which I have on the way.

Comments?

Thanks,
    TJT

Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  2. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I started out looking for a spitty, Velcro-ish type fuzz, just before the fuzz scene blew up and there were thousands to choose from out there. Analogman knows fuzz, and I ended up with a Peppermint. Couldn't be happier with it.

3. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Out of those you mentioned, I like the Fuzzrite the best, although I thought that the Univox Square Wave does the nasty spluttery thing better.
    But as far as nasty spluttery goes, the Diaz Texas Square Face takes the prize.

I should note, that I didn't try the originals, I'm going by the clones that I built.

4. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Basic Audio has a few fuzzes that fit this description.

5. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I will also be building clone(s) of whichever of these I decide upon.

Comparing the Fuzzrite and the Square Wave, which do you think would work better into a reasonably dirty amp? The Fuzzrite sounds a bit thinner so I think it'll cut better?

Have you tried the Astrotone/Sam Ash?

Thanks all for you input.

6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

The fuzzrite is a good choice, and the fuzz factory can do pretty well into a dirty amp too. The Naga Viper will be awesome, both alone and with fuzz.

I'm currently using an RML Electron Custom into a dirty amp, and it's just amazing how well it thrives into a dirty amp. At a certain setting, it's incredibly fuzzy and cutting, which usually isn't the case with other fuzzes into a dirty amp. It's a very particular sound though, and it probably wouldn't be a good choice for a DIY build, but it is great

7. BoTheMu

BoTheMu Member

The astrodome is silky smooth and not what you're after. I really like the fuzzrite and may do the trick. Can't help on the square wave as I've never played with one.

Don't forget the fuzz factory though as it's perfect for spitty sounds.

8. JesterR

JesterR Member

I think, that Catalinbread Merkin is great for dirty amp. Texture knobs gives you different shades and volume knob with a lot of boost helps to get more thick or more thin resulting tone.
    Do not think, that Merkin is the best, but definitely worth to try. A little bit underrated fuzz.

9. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

I always run with a clean amp.
    Don't recall running either of those on a dirty amp.
    But I think I would go with the fuzzrite into a dirty amp.

Sorry, never tried the Astrotone/Sam Ash.

10. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Basic Audio Squarewave+ can get very spitty if you want it too, based on the Univox Squarewave but with nice features, small size, gets along with other pedals, etc. Works great into a dirty amp. Fuzzrite is nice too, but into a dirty amp, those buzzy fuzzes sometimes create a really boomy low end. Just my experience.

Here's a couple of clips of mine with the Squarewave into a dirty amp..

This first one has a kinda-spitty lead sound at 52 seconds in that was through a dirty channel (volume rolled down a bit):

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/mattmasu/squarewave[/SOUNDCLOUD]

This one was into a dirty amp the entire time:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/mattmasu/basic-audio-squarewave-demo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

For something more wild.. BA Double Beat, you can hear how dirty my amp was at the beginning (breakup sound, not crazy heavy gain though).

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/mattmasu/ba-double-beat[/SOUNDCLOUD]

11. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Do you mean the Astrotone?

Yes, I'll look into the Fuzz Factory, although I usually avoid Germanium-based pedals and I'm more of a set-and-forget player so 5 knobs seems like a lot! Not interested in playing with/tweaking settings; I just want this to work!

Thanks for all your comments - I'll investigate new suggestions.

Sounds like the Fuzzrite will work best. Shame there's not more info/experience with the Square Wave fuzz...

12. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I've just seen that the Merkin is actually Fuzzrite-based. So far that seems to be the winner.

13. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Thanks for the clips, Empros. Sounds good.

14. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Is the Astrotone definitely too smooth for this? Even with the Tone knob clockwise?