Want to change the pickups for my Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by darkinners, Feb 22, 2012.

1. darkinners

darkinners Member

I am using a Warmoth Strat (Swamp Ash Body + Flame Maple Neck and Fingerboard 3 single coils)
    having Fender 57/62 pickups on it.

overall, I love the sound but I found them also lack of low end(in terms of tightness and volume), worse when my Keeley 4 knobs engaged.
    and the dynamic response can be better for my taste.

this is the sample clip I recorded with the guitar(sorry for my sloppy playing :D)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/958350/upload/strat%20test.mp3
    so you can hear, the low end of the guitar really too little there.

now I have few pickups in mind,
    1. Bare Knuckle Mother's Milk set
    2. Lindy Fralin Blue's Special set
    3 Jason Lollar Blackface set

Can you guys who has experiences on these can give me some headlights?
    I am after the tone for Funk, Blue (AKA John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, SRV), ballsy and woody tone with great spanky treble.

also do you guys think I want RWRP or normal wound and phase for my purpose?

what do you think for these 3 sets of pickups for my purpose ? which one would fit better?
    or you guys have other pickups I didn't list in mind that would fit the tone I after?

Thanks a lot guys :p I am a total single coil guitar noob :D all of my guitars are humbucker before

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

Slider's Pickups. They'll be the last set you ever need. Unless of course you like wasting money.

3. darkinners

darkinners Member

Thanks for the input, any particular model you recommend and any more details on the sonic character? Thanks!

4. QQQ

QQQ Member

I don't have any experience with the Bare Knuckles, but you can't go wrong with either Fralin or Lollar for classic strat sounds.

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I know it's very common practice around here, but I absolutely wouldn't go replacing pickups while chasing a recorded tone... there are so many other variables that happen after the amp...

For what it's worth, Frusciante has replaced his stock vintage on a couple of his strats with Duncan Antiquities which happen to be my favorite set, along with the CS54s.

I would say I sound absolutely NOTHING like Frusciante though I really like him as a player and further, among all the Fender pickups I've used, I'd say the 57/62s and the CS54s are extremely similar.

In fact, I had 57/62s in my #2 strat for a while but found that, while I really liked the clean tone of the 57/62s, why I changed them was I felt they had too much bottom end when used with gain, esp on the neck pickup. I'm a tweaker and I tried changing the heights and the slant of the pickups but they always sounded like they had slightly more bottom end than I find ideal.

There are so many great pickups out there though... I own, owned or have tried for extended lengths: Fender CS54s, CS69s, 57/62s, Fat 50s, Vintage Noiseless, Duncan Antiquities with the hot/special bridge, Duncan SSL2s, SSL2s, APS1s, BG Vintage 60s, BG Phatties, Fralin Vintage Hots, Lace Hot Golds, Dimarzio HS2/3s and I'm sure a few more I'm forgetting. All of them sound decent, most of them have something about them I don't find quite ideal but like I said, I found the 57/62s to be some of the more bass-heavy along with the 54s and the Antiquities. They are the spankiest or the most sparkly though.

I'd honestly recommend playing with the heights a bit more and they don't have to be level you know... you can have the bass side a bit higher. That changes more than just the balance, but it's free to try.

6. darkinners

darkinners Member

Thanks for the input man, yeah I tried some Bill Nash Strat with Lollar and Fralin, loved the tone very much, especially Fralin.

I guess you are right, recording is not really a big deal, as I can recompress, EQ and stuffs
    but I am changing for gigs and band practice :D.

I know John use Duncan Antiquities as I read that somewhere. I thought about that too but I currently want to try some boutique pups for my strat, I agree the 62/57 set sound bass heavy on neck pup but don't know why the bridge pup sound really thin after my Keeley 4 knobs compressor.

I tweaked the pups height yesterday night it sounded better but still, can be better and I love my 62/57 set too , I the spankiness on them and the overtone ring really well.
    just want some more bass on bridge pickup and more dynamic response.
    don't know if it's my guitar or the pickup though.

Thank you so much man! you gave me a lot of insight :p

7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

You could also wire it so that the second tone pot also works on the bridge pickup so you could roll the tone back just a tweak, then add a little bit of brightness on the amp end. That would effectively increase the bass without radically changing the upper end.

8. darkinners

darkinners Member

good call!!! Thanks man I will try it tonight :p

9. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

10. LarryN

LarryN Member

I was very surprised at how good the Fender CS69's sounded.

11. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

Why don't you shoot Rod a email and discuss it with him. I'm sure he can wind a set to meet your criteria.

sliderspickups at bigpond dot com

12. ianb

ianb Member

The sound you seem to be after is more often associated with the rosewood/alder combination, which is slightly darker and woodier. I would say that due to your guitar's wood combination, you need a set of slightly warmer and fatter pickups.

Suhr V60LP's are very good, as are Voodoo ST60's, these pickups are both slightly warmer. My absolute favorites would be Don Mare Super Sports for that tone. Not sure I'd go Fralin, they might be too bright for you, I like them better on rosewood/alder.

13. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

+1

Actually, your recording sounded like a good Strat sound.

You talked about wanting more bass in the bridge position. There really isn't much bass in the bridge position on a Strat.

If you have to change pickups, you might want to look at a single coil size humbucker in the bridge. Most humbuckers, by design, will give you more bass frequency output and are a great pickup for lead soloing. Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have many options for Strat humbuckers.

14. paulscape

paulscape Member

Sounds like you need a slightly hotter set? Any of the companies suggested all make good pickups - for me getting the strat tones I wanted meant I had to learn more about output of pickups, distance to strings and how that all interacts with the guitars I was using especially in the neck and middle positions. As for bridge (which are naturally bright anyway as mentioned above) I would suggest either playing around with pickup height and poles, trying a humbucker or simply knocking down the tone controls. You could even wire your bridge to a seperate tone control. Live I sometimes flick to the bridge and if its too bright I quickly adjust the volume or tone knob. I also had some luck getting more balls into a bridge position by using a SD cool rails single coil sized humbucker. It's not a flat out humbucker - it still has some SC dynamics.

15. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

For better dynamic response you could move the pup farther from the strings. Or use a light top / heavy bottom set.

When I think of SRV tones I'm reminded of Lollar Blackface pups.