Want to convert lo-z to hi-z for range master

cisspcism

So if i need to use an always on buffer first in pedal chain, is there
A way to convert a 100 ohm output back to 17k ohm so things like
Range masters and fuzz faces see the right impedance?

midwayfair

yes --- put a resistor in series with the output of the buffer. You can stick it on a switch.

output of buffer -> 18K resistor -> [switch lug 1 - switch lug 2 ->] output jack.

However, depending on the buffer, you may actually want something larger, like 33K or even 100K.

You can get fancy with the switch and use an on-off-on toggle. The center goes to the output jack and has e.g. a 47K from the output of the effect to the center lug. When the switch is in the center, the 47K goes right to the jack from the output of the buffer. One outside lug is connected to a 27K resistor, the other end of which goes to the output of the the buffer. When switched, the 27K will be in parallel with the 47K and you'll get about 17K. For the other outside lug, connect it right to the output of the buffer. When switched that way, you'll bypass both resistors and your buffer is back to a low impedance output.

Keep in mind that you still aren't going to have behavior identical to plugging straight into the guitar.

Another way of handling what happens to a Rangemaster with a buffer in front is to simply put a low-pass filter on the output of the Rangemaster (4.7nF-10nF will be accurate but depend on the boost level), or on its input (you'll need a resistor, so say, 10K+4.7n), or between the base and collector of the transistor (try 100pF for a 3KHz cut, or 150pF). The guitar loading creates a treble loss, the buffer removes the loading (hence the "harshness"). The distortion isn't high enough that intermodulation is a big issue to really require the treble loss before the boost, so it really becomes a question of what's most convenient.

Blues Lyne

Midwayfair has some great information for you. The other option is to put the buffer after the rangemaster or fuzz face. Assuming they are true bypass there shouldn't be an audible difference with one or two true bypass pedals in front of the buffer.

cisspcism

I think i will just get a 25k pot put it in a box and use it in gcx loop the i would put range master in. This way the buffer is unaltered for everything else and only affects range master

shoepedals

So if i need to use an always on buffer first in pedal chain, is there
A way to convert a 100 ohm output back to 17k ohm so things like
Range masters and fuzz faces see the right impedance?

Put the buffer after all your fuzzes. The cable length between those pedals will make virtually no difference to the overall sound if you have decent cables.

cisspcism

The issue is that my isp prorackg noise gate will be placed before any pedal. Except wah.
Thats how i want it. So i can control feedback and noise. So i will need something in the true bypass loop with the range master and before it to increase the 100 ohm output to 18 kohm before it hits the range master

Top Bottom