Want to get back into a Les Paul

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
My first guitar was a Les Paul studio, a 93 wine red model. It was great. Many years later I bought a Historic VOS R7. Great guitar, but it cost me so much money that after 2 years of owning it and pampering it, I realized that I had a closet queen on my hands, so I sold it and bought a nice Explorer and a Martin D-28. I still love the Explorer, however I’m feeling the pull again to another Les Paul.

I do not want a Custom Shop or any kind of Historic or whatever they have these days.

What I do want is a solid mahogany back, with a bound maple cap and a long neck tenon.
Something used less than 6 or 7 years old.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Falsecrack

Gold Supporting Member
OP, I’m in a similar boat. At one time, I had a few Gibsons in the stable, but got rid of them for various reasons. I found that I favored 25.5 scale, and I honestly never fell in love with the LP sound.
Anyway, fast forward 10 yrs, and now I have the itch for one. However, this time I’m in the market for a vintage MIJ number (probably Greco or Tokai) because,...we’ll because I’m a cheap ass. (yes, I am fully aware that some of the vintage MIJ stuff is quite pricey, especially Tokai. But I’m not looking for a ‘80 LS 120, or an EGF 2000)
Now I know you mentioned wanting something a bit newer, and if that were the case with me, I’d still be looking East for such a guitar, as I understand they still make a hell of a guitar.
Either way, I wish you luck in your search. Post whatever you end up getting, id love to see it.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
No Custom Shop and you want a long neck tenon? Not happening.
Yeah, that’s what I’m coming to believe. I thought there might have been some early 2000 Standards or Traditional line that had it, but I’m not seeing it. Maybe a used R8, I dunno.....

Jabby92

You won't find a long neck tenon outside of the custom shop. Personally I don't believe it makes any difference, not sure why people are obsessed with it.

1 piece solid mahogany bodies are rare, I would say maybe 5-10% of Gibson USA Les Pauls have them. My 2002 LP Standard is a 1 piece back but I don't see them often on newer model years.

Bound maple cap is universal across the board, almost all other LP copies use a veneer instead of a full carved cap.

C-4

If you want a long neck tenon, look at LEs Paul Custom Pro models. LP Standard configuration with custom shop build, long neck tenon, great feeling round medium chunky neck like an R9, push/pull pots for single coil, out of phase, and kill witch action.

I have one and play it as much as my R9. Terrific guitars, flame tops, single piece mahogany backs, the whole deal.

Steadfastly

That Agile looks nice!
Yes, there are lots of excellent reports on them. They are made in South Korea. Some dis them because they are not a Gibson but when you compare spec for spec on the top of the line Agiles, you would have to get into a custom shop Gibson to get those. They also have models with a 1 3/4" neck which I, Mr. Big Hands, prefer.

Surgeon

I tried to get into a Les Paul once, but I didn’t fit. ;)
I came here just to post that it might be a tight fit even with chambering.

Back to topic: there are plenty of amazing guitars out there so just try a bunch. Personally, I wouldn't sweat the long-tenon though, whatever tone/sustain change you may think you hear, it'll disappear as soon as you don't play by yourself.

singlecutarmy

You won't find a long neck tenon outside of the custom shop. Personally I don't believe it makes any difference, not sure why people are obsessed with it.
Because Gibson has convinced you that you need all the bells and whistles to have a "complete" guitar and the only way to get it is a custom shop. It's pure strong arming of the FOMO phenomena to get people to spend more money than necessary.

sunking101

Because Gibson has convinced you that you need all the bells and whistles to have a "complete" guitar and the only way to get it is a custom shop. It's pure strong arming of the FOMO phenomena to get people to spend more money than necessary.
Agreed. My heroes all played Standards and Customs. No Custom Shop in existence at the time. Hide glue, long tenons? Meh. Tell me that you can hear the difference when someone's playing with their back to you.

singlecutarmy

Agreed. My heroes all played Standards and Customs. No Custom Shop in existence at the time. Hide glue, long tenons? Meh. Tell me that you can hear the difference when someone's playing with their back to you.
You can totally hear it!... when you've spent $5000 on a guitar you have to justify to others because people are too insecure to just say, "I have this voice in the back of my head where I won't be happy unless I have the top of the line model."

And that is a perfectly fine reason to do it. Like, if you feel that way, you can spend your money however you want, and no one should shame you.

But as soon as you start pulling some, "It sounds better than yours because of these minuscule features" you're just talking down on other people for not wanting to spend what you spent.

Surfreak

On the long tenon debate: it is a structurally superior construction technique for the neck joint, when executed properly, ie without large air gaps which are then filled with glue, but nobody will ever be able to demonstrate that it adds superior tonal qualities to a guitar.

To the OP, I suggest you look for a great LP standard, that really speaks to you tone-wise, and don’t worry if it has a short tenon.

Trending Topics