1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

want to hear the celestion heritage g12m greenbacks,VH clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bmf5150, Jan 7, 2006.

1. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

i love these new celestion heritage g12m greenbacks,best speakers i have ever played!the amp i used for the recording was my 12 series plexi clone.it does have mustard caps and an original late 60s dagnal self lead output tranny.i used a clean boost to push the amp a little. the guitar was a northern ash body with the tom holmes 455 pickup.first part of the clip is me playing,the second part is VH!

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=18856

2. 62sg

62sg Member

3. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

its a metro amp cab with the new celestion heritage g12m greenbacks!

4. jim dandy

jim dandy Member

That sounds great! Some flanger and hard panning would nail it. The G chord sounded very VH-ish.

5. 62sg

62sg Member

A 4x12, though, right?

6. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

yes its a 4-12

7. Roe

Roe Member

metro cabs are made by mojotone?

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

So let's hear the details on the entire rig, Stan! WTF? :)

Amp head?
    Tubes?
    Guitar?
    Speaker cable?
    Speakers (already covered)
    Cabinet? Straight or Slant?
    Grillcloth type?
    Casters on the cab? Yes or No?

Come on now...details!

9. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Yup

10. wreckboy

wreckboy Supporting Member

Aloha,
    I really liked that sound clip. The Celestion Heritage 20 Watt was my favorite speaker in the speaker Shootout that has posted on this board a few months back.I just got a Heritage G12M and love it. Before playing the Marshall 1960HW cabinet I disliked the Heritage G12H (upon hearing the sample posted in that Shootout), but after hearing and "feeling" those speakers in action with the Marshall and my Wreck I think these are really great speakers especially in a 4x12 context.
    I own/or have owned vintage, reissue and standard model Celestions.
    Also, have also owned and played a number of other Celestion type speakers including the Scumbag/Southbay, McGourty, Weber and Eminence.
    My ears have been tuned to the classic Celestion tone. I think that Celestion really have done a great job, especially with the Heritage G12M.
    IMHO the Heritage speakers are the only speakers that "quench" my thirst for the Classic Vintage Celestion Tone.

11. shg

shg Senior Member

That was a really nice tone. Properly engineered and with some production tweaking, that would be almost bang-on VH1.

PS you're not playing the riff correctly

12. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

well its a plexi cloned to the 12 series specs.it does have mustard caps and an original dagnal self lead output tranny.other than that its all clone.the guitar is a northern ash body with a tom holmes 455 pickup.the cab is a metroamp cab load with the heritage greenbacks.it was recorded with a sm57 mic into a $30 behringer sound board pluged into my soundcard line in with sound forge.no eqing at all.

13. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

yeah,im not the greatest player!

14. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

i agree,i have had reis greenbacks,reis g12h30,scumbag g12h30,and mcgourty speakers.these heritage are my favorite!

15. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

the tube where jan/sylvania 12ax7wa and 6ca7s.the cab is straight made by metroamp with no casters.standard grill cloth.

16. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hey stan,
    Paul from the metroamp board.

Are you using the 20 watters or the 30 watt heritage speakers?

Is your amp still Ralle spec or is it george's 12 series specs. (did you give in to to 12 series 400volt pt option)

17. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

is the 12 seires spec i got from masterkeepers amp.the heritage are the g12m greenbacks which are rated at 20 watts,15 ohm

18. JWR

JWR Member

Sounds good. No doubt a fine product. Lately I think Celestion has lost the recipe, these may be the best sounding Celestions made today. That said, I still decided to go with the Scumback M's for my "greenback" cabinet though.

19. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

dave from legendary tone sasy they sound the same as his old greenbacks and ed from thd likes them better than his greenbacks.sounds like to me from what people have been sayiing that there as good as the originals.its a mater of choice what you like.

20. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I have to clear up one thing about your post, Stan.

I can't speak for the other speakers you've had, Stan, but I know for a fact that you didn't have one of my "Scumback" recones done to your G12H30 or Weber framed speaker, as that is a proprietary treatment, and we covered that last year when you originally posted some soundfiles on the TGP. What you got from Weber when you got that reconed is whatever you or Weber worked out to have done, perhaps a "Pre-Rola" treatment, or something else, I'm not sure. I only authorized a limited amount of recones to be done last May, and yours wasn't one of them, nor does Weber offer a "Scumback treatment" to people sending in recones to him.

I just want to make that clear, OK?

You did a good job of replicating the sound of the VH in your clip, although for most, finding an original Dagnal OT, yellow mustard caps, etc., etc., will be a pretty time consuming (and I'll bet costly) adventure, but nonetheless, nice job.

What would be interesting is if you'll be able to replicate the same tone without the attenuator, the tubes, and the amp head in a live club situation. Now that would be the real test for your rig... any plans of doing that and doing a recording?