Want to hearyour amp at it's best- Solid Cables!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve Snider, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Wow!!! Nial at Solid Cables has a home run here. Priced around the same as the Evidence and Vovox stuff, which I am a fan of both, I am hearing better balance and definition and clarity when using this stuff. Check it out.

http://www.solidcables.com

2. RandK

RandK Silver Supporting Member

Maybe they changed them recently ? I've had one for a couple of years and it was much better than a Monster until I A/B'ed it with a Two Rock cable. The TR cable isn't nice and flexible but the tonal improvement was huge.

3. Free

Free Member

I've been using Monster "Standard 100" cables for a long time now and never noticed any obvious shortcomings. What would I notice going with something like these Solid Cables? Can you please elaborate a bit? Thanks in advance!

-Mike

4. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I just bought a Monster Cable Studio Pro which sounds better than my regular cords, but must have improper shielding because the RF signals are unbelievable. In between songs a preacher at about 120 db. told me I needed to repent. Maybe so but not very good timing. Swithed to my Gibson cable and preacher and company left. Have you guys experienced this with higher quality cords? I mean the Monster Cable did sound considerably better but due to the Rf signals totaly useless. Steve have you noticed any RF problems wiith the Solid Cables with the FET engaged on any of your amps?

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Solid Cables are the best! By far the most natural sounding cable I've heard.

Plus Nial is a great guy!

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I have no idea if they've been changed. FWIW, I've never tried a VDH...

7. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Steve,

No RF noise here with any of my cables, Vovox, Evidence, Fender,Two Rock or Solid Cable.

SS

8. eru

eru Member

I finally admit that cables make a difference. I hear a difference between Mogami, george ls, and cheap cables. And I just ordered some Canare cable at the recommendation of a Friend. What's interesting is that for short runs, cables using specific twisted pairs in Cat 5e gigabit network cable sound better than anything else I've got.

(Though, as long as the fidelity is good enough, you can make the cable work. Capacitance and inductive loading don't matter as much as people think they do depending on the electronics in your guitar, and no I'm not talking about buffered active electronics.)

But I can't believe that cables are worth some of these prices.

As for Monster cables...they're a joke. They have all these "technological advancements" that make them sound worst of the bunch to my ears. I admitted that monster cables sucked long before I admitted a difference between anything else, and so will you if you take the time to listen. Live Wire and Hosa cables can sound better. It's kinda like how people believe the marketing that Bose equipment doesn't suck until you put it up next to a well designed traditional PA or home entertainment system that often costs much less and you realize that they use tricks to extend their frequency response and over-compress everything. Monster and Bose are two audio companies I can't stand and as far as I'm concerned endorsing them means that you flat out can't hear.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Interesting. I bought a Mogami and a Monster Rock 100 cable to try out. The Mogami was softer sounding less defined. The Rock 100 seemed brighter,clearer and more defined. Didnt seem like a joke rather I was amazed at the difference. I think its a great guitar cable compared to the Mogami. Bob

10. MILLS Acoustics

MILLS Acoustics Member

Yes, they ARE that good...especially in a hi-power rig. They are what we run in our demo setups. Great guys with a great product.

11. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Steve,

Have you had a chance to compare these against Van Den Hul cables yet?

:BEER

12. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Cables are Suposed to be neutral not brighter, clearer more defined.

Yes the signal can be manipulated by use of different dialectrics, shielding methods and connector materials.

Get some belden 14 or 16 gauge six 9's copper cable google DIY cable and knock yourself out.

The rest is all patent medicine

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records
    Listening to the Small Faces-Amen Corner

13. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Simply switching to one higher guage stranded cable would provide the same benefits and be easier to work with. As long as a cable is truly copper and is properly insulated and is not too long, it will be fine. Everything else is just snake oil.

14. eru

eru Member

Your comment reminded me of Snake Oil Strings. Do people still like those things here or have they caught on that he's probably laughing quietly to himself every time he gets an order?

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

This is exactly what I get out of SolidCables. Evidence sound like the high end is hyped in comparison, the SC sounded most like how my guitar sounds un-amplified.

16. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

How do the TR's compare to the VDH's?

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Snake Oil Strings actually turned me back on to nickel strings. I found the SOS to actually last a bit longer than trad nickel boomers but to be fair, they also cost alot more. Still, I would definitely give those a thumbs up.

$140+ guitar cables :rotflmao I give a resounding thumbs down to.

18. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    How did snakes get such a bad name anyway LOL

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well the Monster rock 100's sounded better than the Mogami to my ears and I guess thats what counts. I figured the Mogami's were taking away singal but whatever I could be wrong(again)!
    :BEERBob

20. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

Only one voice of reason here? This is starting to sound like a HI FI geek site.

Pure snake oil! What do you think you'll hear after dropping big money on a lousy cable? -That's right sports fans, you'll hear exactly what you think you need to hear to support your decision. -If your hearing is that good then you should put your guitar down now because you're only going to ruin those golden ears!

Interesting about the Snake Oil Strings. I use them too! They're not anywhere near expensive like these cables. There is something to Nickel strings.