Want to record my guitar but need some help :)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by picassographic, Aug 14, 2008.

1. picassographic

picassographic Member

Hi folks.Lately I've gone really nuts about creating a home studio , mainly to record electric guitar.I've done my homework and read LOTS of Threads in this forum.Really thank you for this....:D

First of all I have nothing to record.(Have Valvestate-Avt amps; ESP, Ibanez guitars some pedals etc..)....No mics, no preamps, no Cards, have Windows based notebook and PC ...I have recording experiences as I had been in recording sessions with my brother's band (In a semi-pro studio environment and in their's bassist's home studio).

Let's start with the mic.First, I am thinking to buy a SM57 as it's the industry standard mic for guitar cabinet.Then maybe an Sennheiser e609, or even a CAD Trion 7000 ribbon mic or some Condensers.....

As audio interface.....Really don't know this section....I need some help about them...

PCI+Mic Preamp Systems???: I have experienced M-audio 24/96 with Studio Projects VTB-1 tube mic preamp....I played directly plugged to this system with Amplitube plug-in...I was blown away..But I really want to record my own amps as I will learn recording better this way.

All in one systems like Presonus Firebox, Audiobox: I didn't experience them.They cost less I think,Easier to setup, But not sure about thier preamps and sound quality??? Heard about their latency.Do they satisfy? Also USB and Firewire models are available.What differences do they have?

I didn't think about monitors really....

Which system would be better for my purpose? I am picky about sound quality.But I am on budget...

That's all for now....Thanks for all replies:)

2. stump

stump Member

I've made some nice recordings with a Line 6 UX1 with the amp models and by using a SM57 and micing my amp. I use Reaper software and it works great. I don't notice any latency or other glitches with this setup and the cost of the UX1 and Reaper is dirt cheap. The UX2 has phantom power and additional inputs. I also use Behringer Truth active monitors which work fine for me. I've also recorded on a friend's system that uses an M-Audio card, expensive preamps and so forth. There was no discernable audio improvement over my "cheap" setup. I've learned to get the best from what I've got and to use it to it's full capabilities. I used to think that I "needed" all of the high end stuff but found that I was shopping with my eyes and GAS. I am now very content to work with what I can afford. When I feel that I need an upgrade, I just break out my old Tascam 4 Track cassette unit, my GAS disappears and I am thankful that I have what I do. Good luck in your quest.

3. Yossi

Yossi Member

I am not going to give you advice on anything complex, because that would be out of my league. What I will share with you is my personal experience with going with a Sony PCM-D50 digital recorder. (There are many other similar devices as well). I found that the main reason that I was recording was simply to hear myself play and hear my jam band play. I was not doing writing or looking to record multi-tracks. I did that for a while and wound up selling my multi track unit/cd burner. It was a fun time for a while but I bored with the tinkering and never got into the technical aspect. I have a Garageband on my MacBook and I can record there as well. That is a lot of fun if you want to download some backtracks from TGP that members have made and put yourself in the band.
    Back to the PCMD50. It is so easy to use. Plug it in and turn it on. When you finish recording you attach it to your PC or Mac and download the files the same way you would a digital picture from your camera. There is SoundForge software that comes with the recorder and you are given a web address on Sony's AcidPlanet.com to upload your recordings. Here's mine, FYI, http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=660719&T=8866
    This allows me to post the recordings and anyone who's interested can log on. This may not be what you are looking to do, but it is my recommendation for someone in my situation. Someone with limited time to play and even less time to tinker in the technical realm.

4. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

If you want to do it on the cheap, I've gone so far as to plug a 58 Beta into a series of adapters to get it down to the 1/8" input on your sound card. Probably not the ideal thing for the serious pro, but it works fine if you're just trying to get the guitar recorded.

I've also plugged the recording mic into a Demeter tube bass preamp, and then into the line in of a sound card with pretty good results. Kinda "audiophile on unemployment" style recording, but whatever. :D

5. picassographic

picassographic Member

Thanks..But I am looking more for Track recording using Cubase.I will make my own drum tracks using software, add bass,electric guitar maybe vocal.

Can you compare the systems I mentioned ??

PCI card+Mic preamp system (not more than M-audio 2496 with Art or Studio Projects Preamp)

OR

All in One system: Presonus Audibox or Firebox???

6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

A Shure SM57, an M-Box with ProTools LE, and a set of studio headphones...not only will you have all the tools necessary to start recording, but your ProTools sessions will be compatible with every major recording studio on earth should you ever want to expand on your home recordings.

It's just one option in the endless money-pit that is the home studio...good luck!

7. picassographic

picassographic Member

I think It's better to start with Presonus stuff...Maybe in the future I can use it hooked with a nice mic preamp..Thanks

8. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I can't recommend enough for you to check out Tweak's guide to home recording. It's got step by step guides, gear reviews, gear suggestions for all budgets and needs. Whether you're looking for basic guitar recording or a full on whiz bang set up.

I found this to be an invaluable resource:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

as always.... no affiliation at all... just a great site that I've gotten a ton of value from.

Good luck!!

Rick

9. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

You know what's relatively cheap and high quality? Paying for the hours at a good recording studio! Rehearse and nail down your material (a really cheap recorder can help because you get playbacks), but go somewhere professional for the serious recording. You can sink hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into a home studio easily, and still get nowhere near the results of a $50/hour pro studio.

Don't go the home recording route to "save money". It's foolish, if not outright crazy. ONLY do a home studio if you're really serious about DIY or plan to spend hundreds of hours recording.