Want to ride a motorcycle. Where to start?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GuitarKidd, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

We call'em organ donors.

2. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

I've been riding since High School (I'm 65) For a first bike that will do 90% of everything, I would buy a used Triumph Bonnevile with under 16K miles. Enough power and light enough to handle easily.

3. 84superchamp

84superchamp member in training Silver Supporting Member

if you're riding in tight spaces or congested areas, the smaller the better. if you want to regularly ride through 2 or 3 states, get a 750cc road bike or bigger. i recommend HD, in spite of ignorant comments from the peanut gallery. comfortable to ride over long distances and more stable and reliable than Indonesian plastic junk.

4. MVrider

MVrider Member

AMA is dead as far as roadracing is concerned. There is a news series called MotoAmerica with with great people running it and and good backers behind it. They will race this weekend at COTA, Austin TX at the same event as the USA round of MotoGP.

As for Ben, Lots of politics in GP. The series is run by a Spanish firm, the big sponsor is a Spanish oil company and they plow huge amounts of money into the young Spanish riders by way of the national racing series in... Spain. In the big leagues (MotoGP) all sorts of games are played in terms of who gets the best mechanics, the latest parts, etc. Not sure how much of that figured into Ben's success or lack of it but the injuries made all that moot.

5. MVrider

MVrider Member

Good point. Like they say, 95% of all Harleys are still on the road. The other 5% actually made it home.

6. joel

joel Member

geta guzzi. guzzi. gettaguzzi.

[​IMG]

7. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

Imagine if you could have a bike that handled well AND was comfortable to ride across the country...on any route you chose...

8. MVrider

MVrider Member

Or a bike with an actual THROTTLE on the right handgrip instead of just a volume control. ;)

And whatever you do, don't tell him about the "Harley Death Wobble."

9. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

10. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

FZ1

/thread
    ;)

11. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Beware of which street Harleys you engage. Some will embarrass you. :wave Here's a street legal Harley doing an 8.53 at 160mph pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8r1AVg5mvY

12. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I've never had a Harley beat me from Boulder to Nederland :D

Or really... Boulder to 200 yards up Boulder Canyon let alone 17 miles. ;)

13. MVrider

MVrider Member

Lost on me.

Going in a straight line on a motorcycle became boring as $#&^ about two minutes after I got my first bike. Cool if you like it, but to me, there's a LOT more to motorcycling than just that.

And, no, I won't be embarrassed by that guy because... a) you won't find me at a drag strip (see above) and b) I leave street racing to the idiots.

My idea of fun is watching the guys on the antiques get the $#!+ scared out of them when the bicycles pass them in the canyons.

14. MVrider

MVrider Member

HARLEY DAVIDSON BREAKS THE SOUND BARRIER!!!!

(Milwaukee, WI) Harley-Davidson today announced what they term “The greatest scientific achievement in the history of motorcycling,” the 200 cubic inch Harley-Davidson FHdBL which stands for “Fantastically High Decibel Level.”

Head of Engineering Joe Sordino announced, “We’ve succeeded in turning virtually all of this motorcycle’s power into noise. And that makes us the first manufacturer to offer a motorcycle capable of putting out more than 200 decibels of sound. After decades of trying, it gives us great pleasure to say we have finally broken the sound barrier.”

Once thought to be an unattainable goal, Harley engineers consider the 200dB mark to be their crowning achievement. And it’s not just the engineers who are excited about the breakthrough. Marketing Director Larry Dumas proudly announced, “Louder than a dozen Boeing 747’s taking off at the same time, this motorcycle is sure to attract attention - and buyers. We’ve got the magic numbers. 200 cubic inches, 200 decibels, 200 dollars down and just 200 dollars a month for 200 months. Good credit, bad credit or no credit at all, if you’ve got 200 bucks for us, we’ve got a bike for you.”

But as Sordino points out all that sonic success comes with a price and that price is a very slow motorcycle - even by Harley standards. “When your goal is to turn 90% of the energy in a gallon of gas into noise, there’s not a whole lot left to turn the wheels. After subtracting for power required for turn signals, lighted skulls and other essential accessories, we’re down to about 6hp at the rear wheel. That’s not much for a motorcycle that weighs as almost as much as a dumpster in New Orleans after a hurricane.” When asked about 0-60 times and top speeds, Sordino replied, “Let’s just say we won’t be breaking any speed records. Of course, that’s not really a problem for us because we never have.”

Despite the meager power output, acceleration will be “reasonable” and “in keeping with the desires of the aging Harley demographic” at least according to Harley execs. Director of Product Innovation John Douschebahg said, “Fortunately for us, our customers aren’t concerned about any of that new-fangled crap like performance, handling or computerized wheelie control. Our riders want to HEAR their bikes. And as old as our riders are, that’s not always easy.”

Harley riders were clearly enthused. After seeing a mock up of the prototype at a Milwaukee dealership, one long-time Harley rider stated, “I don’t care what it costs. I just want to hear the roar of the pipes again.” His wife and riding partner of 35 years simply said, “What? What???”

Another rider, browsing a rack of assless chaps and other S&M gear said, “Now I don’t need to drive around for hours just so everyone in Sheboygan can hear me. With a bike like this I can just sit in the driveway and rev it up all day long. And I won’t need to worry about not being able to see the stop signs anymore.”

Meanwhile a Honda engineer, who asked to remain nameless, could only comment, “Do those ^&^%^%$# idiots even know what the sound barrier is?”

15. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

16. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Close...FJ-09

17. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I know a guy that likes to race them on his back tire ;)

18. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

They need to do that with cars... there are a lot of people who have absolutely no business behind the wheel of an SUV, or a high-performance car (like all of those celebritards who buy Ferraris for their teenage kids, WTF??!!??!).

We have special tests and licenses for motorcycles, for big rigs, for a few other specialty vehicles... why not for things that are not "standard" cars?

19. Bix

Bix Member

I loved my Kawi 900 Vulcan. Not too much power. Fuel injected and belt drive. Low seat height but can stretch out. Super reliable and a good looker. I'd highly recommend it after taking an msf class.

20. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

MVrider, your hatred of Harley Davidson is well documented. And stale.:wave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.