Want to see everything you have ever Googled? Here's how...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CyberFerret, Apr 20, 2015.

1. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

This article explains how you can download a list of everything you have searched for on Google:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...uve-ever-googled-if-youre-so-brave/?tid=sm_fb

Of course, this only works if you have been signed into Google (Gmail etc.) while searching. Incognito mode or various blocking software will not yield any results.

Interesting to get an overview of how the Google machine uses your search history to target ads that you see - Yes, this includes the ads you see at the top of TGP too... :)

2. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Note to self: Switch to Bing.

3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

4. Brazen

Brazen Member

I had my web history turned off. :)

5. roundaboutmusic

roundaboutmusic Member

I've had my history turned off ever since they announced they were going to be holding on to it. That said though I didn't realise they were storing my youtube searches too - so a timely reminder to clear that as well. Thanks!

6. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

Always log out of everything. That way all they can consistently use is traffic that comes from your IP. Not tie it directly to your person.

7. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

So how does one get their web history turned off, and for that matter, I'm not 100% clear about "logging off"

...call me old fashioned (well, just call me old) but I just don't like anyone following me around like that.

8. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Doesn't deleting you Google search history eliminate it?

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Don't log on in the first place. You can also use proxy servers, a VPN, an anonymous search engine or anonymizing software.

10. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

I don't believe DuckDuckGo or Startpage track you.

11. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

No. As soon as you search and press enter, they know your IP and what you searched for. But, I guess you probably know this and what you said was tongue-in-cheek.

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's been said before, but remember, since we don't pay google any money, we are not google's customers, we are google's product.

13. eppanhanga

eppanhanga Member

I've had my history turned off ever since they announced they were going to be holding on to it.[​IMG]

14. teledude55

teledude55 Member

lol. it's all in the hands of the NSA. If your name ever hits the Gov's radar they will know everything about you in about 4 mins. It's a new world we live in.

15. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Thanks, rickard. It wasn't really tongue-in-cheek. I asked because after I Google something - guitar strings, for instance, I'll get guitar string pop ups on most of the sites I visit - news sites, email, etc., sometimes for weeks after my search.

But as soon as I delete my search history (I use the "back to the beginning of time" option) the pop ups become generic - ads for insurance, cars, etc., and the guitar string pop ups stop appearing. I know my IP is out there, but I'm not sure why the pop ups switch from guitar string to generic.

16. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

Google Web History is so helpful with my CRS, although it's probably half the cause of it too... I can't even count how many times I was looking for an article I'd already read months ago and Google History helped me find it again. After that it gets bookmarked in Delicious.

17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Whoa, there's a lot of pr0n to be had on the Net...