Want to try to turn my strat into a Les Paul tone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Whiskeyroad, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Whiskeyroad

Whiskeyroad Member

I have run the gambit in pickups searching for something that will turn my chimey bell like strat tone into something with huge bottom and a kind of Gibson LP tone.

I have even considered routing and installing Gibson pickups to check it out. It worked for Eddie Van Halen...lol.

Seriously, anyone have some ideas on how I can reach what I am shooting for?

2. Luke

Luke Senior Member

It is impossible. The body woods are all wrong, as is the scale length and neck attachment method. As you move one variable away from the Les Paul form, you lose a little bit of that tone you seek. When you have ten variables different, it becomes very hard to be convincing IMO. You can overcome the scale length obsticale by tuning down to Eb and thus reduce the string tension to mimic the shorter scale length.

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

Easy... sell the strat and get a lester...

4. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Good luck with that.

5. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

took the woids right out of my mouth... nyuk nyuk nyuk

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

C'mon guys. He didn't say "a 1959 Les Paul with the long tenon and non-figured maple top tone", he said "huge bottom and a kind of Gibson LP tone". I'm guessing from that and the whole idea of your project that you're not exactly a purist, right Whiskeyroad? I'm also guessing, since you talk about routing, that the guitar is currently routed for s/c's. Ok, start with this:

- DiMarzio Pro Track in the neck position and Tone Zone S in the bridge position. If you want the Neck + Bridge LP combo too, you will have to rewire the switch and/or add a push/pull to get it. Drop a line if you need help there.

- Not close enough? Route for humbuckers, get an HSH pickguard and exchange the Pro Track and Tone Zone S for an Air Norton (neck) and a full-size Tone Zone (bridge) (see the pickup FAQ in www.dimarzio.com, "warranty and exchange").

- Still too Stratty for your taste? It's getting more difficult and expensive, but there's still some room for manoeuvre: get a mahogany 24.75" conversion neck from Warmoth.

I know, I know: It's still a bolt-on neck, alder body, tremolo, etc., but in the range between pure Strat and pure LP, I bet it will be much closer to the latter than the former.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a friend here in South Florida who plays a Strat and gets that kinda tone-he uses a hardtail strat, a SFSR,Barber Tone Press into a Barber Burn Unit.He has WCR SR's in his Strat.He can do a convincing Santana...:cool:

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

You might be able to get a bigger bottom end, but you likely will not get LP-style tone. The scale length won't get you there, if nothing else.

Try an overwound set of pickups in your Strat. They won't be as clear as your stock pickups, but they should have more output, and be generally "fatter" sounding.

9. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

Isnt there a circuit you can add to a Strat to give it a LP sound? I saw it somewhere.

Found it. Stewmac.com, under pickup electronics. Part#1622, for the LP sound as it says at the bottom.

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The interesting thing to me is I think of Strats and Teles as having more bottom end and Les Pauls as having bigger mids. IME, maple necks generally have notably bottom than mahog, limba, koa or rosewood, IMO. What gets a lot of Les Paul players of note the big, tight bottom end we associate with them is the SS-rectified, Marshall into a 4x12 closed back cab ;). Conversely...put a strat into a raging Deluxe Reverb open back cab with an Oxford (whatever) speaker and you've got instant flub.

All that being said, there are plenty of companies that make great H-S-H guitars. I don't know what kind of strat you have, but unless you think that there's something totally magical and irreplaceable about the neck of the way it plays or something, I'd suggest buying a different guitar--perhaps an H-S-H--rather than hacking up the one you've got (and potentially lowering its value, perhaps significiantly).

11. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i like a duncan custom custom in a strat

12. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Lots of great ideas. For me, I have finally come to the point that I don't put money into conversions. Just never seems to quite work out. I vote save your cash, leave the Strat a Strat and save up for a LP.

13. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Get the Clapton Strat Electronics, or a Clapton Strat. Someone mentioned a circuit from Stewmac, it might be a similar device to the Clapton midboost circuit.

14. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Alchemy may be the answer.

15. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

Duncan hot rails will get you a lot of the way there.