Wanted : a clean, fat and warm sounding TUBE preamp ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitman, Sep 18, 2018.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple of things that might work, depending on budget and how fussy you are :)

1. Red Iron Amps makes a tube preamp called the Pedal Push'r, it has a nice range from full to bright. He's a custom shop, so if you needed a different EQ or even the XLR output from the Buffer2 I'm pretty sure he could do that. All that said, it ain't gonna be cheap!

2. If you can live without tubes, the JHS Colour Box does everything you want-warm tone, clean, great EQ, XLR or 1/4" output, HPF to adjust the low end (which actually allows you to boost and cut at the same time for some very interesting low end sounds).

3. The SIB Varidrive is a nice tube pedal that can be an overdrive or a preamp. They're not currently building them, but I know a guy.

Everything else I've got is 19" form factor, sorry.

davidespinosa and gitman like this.
  2. Pazz

Pazz Member

This suggestion sorta fits.

An old Zendrive 2 has a tube in it. The Zendrive is a very smooth circuit and even though it isn’t clean, you might not notice the Overdrive because of how smooth it is. Great for jazz.

The newer ZD2s are not tube, so you’ll have to hit eBay.

Kenny Burrell is one of my favs. Man he has great tone!

3. jojogun1957

jojogun1957 Member

4. gitman

gitman Member

Yes, the Yamaha G-series amps from the early 80's are indeed great amps, the very best solid-state amps at the time. I saw Robben Ford playing through one when he was in Montreux/Switzerland with the Yellowjackets and an All Star Group, Barry Finnerty used one with The Crusaders, numerous Jazzers are still using them. Heavy mothers but great cleans and smooth overdrive !