1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to re-tube a Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PRSman25, May 21, 2011.

1. PRSman25

PRSman25 Member

I'm looking at getting a matched set of Ruby Tubes because a guy I talked to said it might get allow the Twin Reverb to attain a more modern kind of distortion out of my POD XT Live.

Any opinions on this statement?
    Any previous experience with this kind of swap?
    Any more tube suggestions?

Bear in mind, I don't mind throwing out a little cash to re-tube it, its my baby and I want it to sound its absolute best.

2. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I've swapped tubes in my Bassman a couple of times. I've tried jj's, ruby's, and most recently the winged c's. I liked all of them, but the differences were pretty subtle for the most part. Getting the new tubes properly matched and biased will make the most difference.

Honestly though, if what you're looking for is a more modern type of distortion, the pod and twin may not be the perfect match. The twin just has so much clean headroom that you won't get any natural sounding blend between the effect and natural amp breakup. Definitely do a tube swap if you're running the stock tubes, but it may be worth considering a pedal search too.

3. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Firsh thing what is the problem with the sound? Where is it not cutting it?

But if your going to look at retubing my advice for the power section would be Winged "C" Svetlana tubes they are the best for a clean sound and thats what you need.

Also if you have had them for a while (ie a few years) you may want to look at the preamp tubes.

I dont know what to advise at the moment for clean preamp tubes as the JJ ones have changed and I'm not familiar with the new ones.

three things ask

1, do you know what make of tubes you have in at the moment and how lond they have been there?

2, is the power section biased properly.

3, You do have any cab/speaker simulation off on your POD... that can seriously kill the tone.

4. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Modern hard rock or metal distortion does not get generated within an amp's output stage. It's more of a high-gain preamp (or high-gain distortion pedal into tube preamp) kind of a thing. Twin Reverbs generate very little distortion within the preamp, even with volume on 10. (Actually, when turned up loud, most of the Fendery crunch you get out of blackface amps is coming from the phase inverter tube, which is the 12AT7 tube that is adjacent to the power tubes (and which is part of the power section).

So, to agree with the others, re-tubing your Twin Reverb may make it sound better, but I doubt it will do much to help with the particular high-gain sound you're chasing after.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, I think you will only hear a huge difference between different output tubes in very high volumes. I would also suggest considering other pedals... the POD might get some interesting noises, but really good tones take a little more IMO. What is a modern sound to you?

6. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Throw a Muff at it.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

When I think of a 'modern' distortion I think of closed back speaker cabs.
    The differences will be subtle with new tubes. I would experiment with the cab sim on the POD, if possible going direct to the poweramp in on the Twin.

8. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I'd recommend Winged C's and JJs as previously mentioned for tubes. As far as pedals to try that I know work well with a Twin Reverb, I really like the Wampler Paisley Drive, Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, and the Way Huge Green Rhino (although the GR isn't on my board yet I did try it in store with a floor model TR but my Rhino is being shipped this week). All of them are great drives. But not exactly high gain. For a really high gain pedal, try the MI Crunch Box, or perhaps the Wampler Plextortion.

9. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

this.
    i'd just get a set of decent tubes in your price range. svetlana, jj, tad are all good and should last awhile. i've been using unlabeled cheapo tubes in my twin and haven't noticed a significant tonal difference from the jjs i had in before.

10. darkoking

darkoking Member

Hey I own a twin reissue I find itsa very picky amp but I have found that the boss od3 handles nicely tone wise and I found that you can get a hi gain tone from fulltones ocd pedal its one of the best complimentary pedals I've used also there's the tsdx10 from ibanez which has multiple gain settings. Tbh I've digital processors to be cumbersome for the twin they sound very unnatural although fine for effects and modulations. Just some food for thought also big muffs are awesome as well

11. hoochiecoochie

hoochiecoochie Member

I know this is a little late in the game, but IF I recall correctly the ruby tubes were/are trying to copy the old sylvania STR 387( ? ) originally made for Fender.. The rubys may actually increase the headroom somewhat once biased. In other words you may have less distortion. The JJs or those baseless Sovtek 5881s or the small bottle TADs may work better for what you are seekinig. The Twin is a loud and clean amp!!!! Tune it up and use a pedal.