Warehouse Guitar Speakers $$$ up, up & away

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DaBreeze, Jul 11, 2008.

1. DaBreeze

DaBreeze Member

Anyone been to the WGS website lately? The speakers that started out at $20 , and then went to $45, are now selling for $65!!! I wonder if those of us who supported him early on would be eligible for some sort of discount???

2. xStonr

xStonr Member

Those new prices are not that far off from the speakers they started out copying. I'll think twice before I buy.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

If you are a speaker cab builder, you can probably get a discount. Otherwise buy them used if you don't like the price.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

They cost about the same as Eminence now, which are made in the USA. I'll stick with Emi :)

5. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Eminence are now up around $90 and celestions are generally around $110. $65 still feels like a bargain to me. I've tried the vet 30, lead 80, and et 65 and don't feel like I was cheated on any of them. If I'm not mistaken the WGS's are made in the USA and celestions are made in China? I could be wrong?

6. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I've been very impressed with the Green Beret and ET65s.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I happen to really like the Veteren 30, it's probably my overall favorite speaker. The materials are from England from I remember and they are put together in the USA.

If you don't like the speakers that is one thing but if your shopping for stuff just based on price I don't see it as they are just as good as anything else out there if not better.

8. KBN

KBN Member

So let me get this right: You already got a hell of a deal so you should get another one? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

9. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Given fuel/shipping prices, everything is going up by the day. On the news last week they showed three different companies that are moving production out of China and back to the USA due to shipping costs. Strange times!

10. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Damn fine speakers and still a good buy :banana

11. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Yep...and I'd pay double for a WGS V-30 if I had too. It's not about how cheap they once were, it's about how much they are worth to the end user.

I'd bet the manufacturer's costs on this is considerably higher than it was when they first starter (i.e, they likely got a good deal on some materials at the start).

12. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I gave two B& B Alnicos a try
    and like em...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Eminence Texas Heat = $70 shipped.
    Most WGS = $78 shipped.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-822

Want more of a V30/WGS Veteran? Get an Eminence V12 for $70 shipped. $8 CHEAPER than WGS.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-490

Now which is the bargain?

And one of the beauties of Eminence is that since there are so many of them, you can get just about any of the models for around $50 used.

I don't think the WGS speakers are made in the USA. The owner was asked here several times if they were USA made and he just kinda skipped around the question saying that some of the parts were USA made. That could mean the glue and wire for all we know.

BUT for a moment lets pretend that Eminence does not exist. If it comes down to WGS vs. Celestion, I'll go WGS all day long. All the WGS speakers I've used were far better than any Chinese Celestion I've ever used.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  14. DaBreeze

DaBreeze Member

I guess I am showing my age; born in 1951. When I grew up people remembered who their friends were and who help them go into business. Now I guess everyone screws over everyone else, then they complain about half the jobs going to China and the other half being filled by illegals. Nice world guy!!!

15. gearboy

gearboy Member

I love WGS....just got a pair of Green Berets delivered the other day.

16. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

The emi governor and private jack were $89.97 at parts express. I think the emi v12 is a good speaker but doesn't sound as close to a v30 as the wgs version does. Thanks for the tip on the v12 though.

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If I wasnt so lazy I'd sell my CL80 clones for what I paid for them-29$. They just dont cut it for my ears. Celestions are still my favorite speakers all around. Bob

18. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Forgive this,
    But I forgot the name of that gentleman from WGS. I remember when he first started introducing those and was offering them at low cost to optimize company exposure.
    I remember him bending over backwards and helping everyone out so much.
    Seems like a wonderful guy in that respect. Now that his business is propering, I wish him the best.

19. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I pulled the CL80's out of my 1960B and put in NOS Brit G12T-75's---- now that the G12T-75's are pretty much broken in, i can say that i like the Celestions much better in this cab----- a talented jazz player was over yesterday demoing a bunch of different heads and he liked this G12T-75 cab for clean tones (that's all he was playing)----i like the G12T-75's for distorted tones, mostly--- and i don't have to worry about the speakers blowing out when i demo/test hi-powered heads.
    I think i'm going to put the CL80's in a Sound City front-loaded, ported 4x12---- replacing the old square magnet Eminence's.
    I still have another unused quad of the CL80's in the boxes, bought when they were $29/ea. No, they're not for sale---- they are good speakers that i'll find a use for one day.
    The CL80's are good speakers---- so are the Vet 30's---- i sold a 4x12 with them to a guy who's pushing his '76 Marshall 1959 thru them.
    I just like G12T-75's better----- many people don't care for G12T-75's all that much----- different flavors................gldtp99

PS--- i put a WGS 15" cast frame bass speaker in one of my Gibson Atlas 1x15 cabs---- replacing a 15" Weber that a total turd, cab sat collecting dust--- sounded horrible for guitar or bass no matter how much break-in (weird cone flapping and overall poor tone)----- the WGS speaker allows use of this 1x15 cab for either guitar or bass---- i've got another similar Gibson Atlas 1x15" cab (with another different model total turd Weber---- i've got some 12" Webers that i really like but not these two 15") that i'll put the other WGS 15" speaker into that i got when they were CHEEP---- Thanx WGS !!!!!

20. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I've owned a lot of Celestion speakers, a few Eminence speakers, and own WGS CL80s, V30s, and ET65s. I've never liked Eminence speakers. Celestion has been hit or miss. I love the sound I'm getting from the WGS.

I've never seen them as a good speaker for being cheap, but as a GOOD speaker. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't have replaced all my made in England Celestions with WGS speakers.