Warehouse Neo Speaker review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

This is a placeholder since I don't have time to go into a huge amount of detail but I am beta-testing a neo version of the reaper speaker. Actually, they sent me 2 different versions. It's one of the sweetest sounding speakers I have heard. Absolutely *ZERO* fatiguing mid-range spike the others ones I have tried (and I've tried almost all of them). This is the first one that I would actually use because of the tone and not because of the weight. They weight about 4lbs each. I have only tried the variation "A". It seems slightly less efficient than the HV Reaper I was comparing it to. Not sure yet if it sounds like the reaper speaker. I'll do some more comparisons but it sounds gorgeous for clean and very hendrixy for fuzzy leads with my KR Gypsy Fuzz.

More later...

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I already want one :D

jon

3. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

ack! Now I'm going to have to try one!

4. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yeah that's something I too would like to hear. If you grab one, let me know.

5. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

I'll give em a call after the holidays.

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Bring it up to AG&B Wes, I have to hear this too!

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I dont see it on thier web site? Bob

8. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

WGS is pretty busy crankin out great speakers...let's just say they've got a bunch of new stuff coming down the line very soon!

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Formula for success - a great product at a great price (assuming their neo is nicely priced, like the ET65 :) )

jon

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The only neo I've personally owned is the Jensen Neo 12-100. I experience no "fatiguing mid-range spike" in that speaker. To the contrary, I hear it as remarkably balanced. Putting aside for the moment the question of who's hearing more accurately (indeed, depending on the amps used, music we play, and other contextual factors, we may all be describing what we're hearing correctly) and responding based solely on my own experience, if, as compared to the 12-100, the new WGS neo is as described here, I might well hear it as mid-scooped. That could be good or bad - further I couldn't say until I personally try one.

11. jzucker

Not sure I've heard that particular Jensen. The one I tried was a 50 watter I believe and was probably one of the earlier runs but it was plain awful. Then again, as you point out, we all have different preferences. I tend to like a very clear, natural sounding clean tone ala SRV's Lenny. My tastes for overdrive tones tend to be ala Landau "Tales from the Bulge" and/or Eric Johnson. Frankly, no speaker can cover that latitude. So, therefore I usually compromise favoring the clear, clean tone.

But, I've heard folks on this board say that the weber california sounds like a JBL and that the Michigan sounds like an EV and neither of those are true at IMO all though admittedly, every weber I've ever tried sounds completely different even within the same model #...

12. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Jack,

Does either of the new reapers sound like it would be a good choice for a Mk1 boogie?

gb

13. Guitar_Dude

Guitar_Dude Member

Which ones have you tried? The only one I've ever tried (and have) is the Celestion Century and I can't hear a fatiguing mid range spike.

I'm really interested in these, mostly because of the weight in a 4x12 cab.

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I Agree. The Jensen Neo 12-100 is probably the most pleasing, smooth sounding, uncolored speaker I've ever heard. Had a MM Bassman output tranny put in my TopHat Ambassador and my tech had several cabs with Neo's. I went between my cab (with a Weber JBL look-a-like and a Emi Private Jack) and a couple of his cabs with two different Jensen Neos. The 12-100 was amazing to my ears and sounded a tone better than the more expensive Tornado Neo (i believe this was the other one...). Now, the upper mid spike in Celestions is why they're so popular with rock and lead players. But to my ears, they've started irritating me. I don't know about you, but most of the time when I'm gigging, the song's don't consist of 90% solos... So why have a speaker that sounds best for lead guitar?

It sounds like this Warehouse Neo is similar. :cool:

15. jzucker

The one I have is only rated for 30 watts. I'm going to check and see if it's available in a HV version. It'd be interesting to see if they can make a Vet 30 neo speaker. The other thing that bares repeating is the efficiency of these speakers. The emi neo speakers I've tried are extremely inefficient. These ARE LOUD!!!

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Including the Tonkerlite? I ask because I'm having a new 2X12 built for me now that I'm going to load a pair of neos in. My gut is to go with a pair of Jensen 12-100s, but am also considering one Jensen 12-100 and one Emi Tonkerlite. The Jensen is only rated at 98 or so db but it is louder to my ears in my Tone King than the higer-rated Emi GB12 it replaced (also a fine speaker). The Emi is rated higher but my experience with Emi speakers is that they, in contrast to Jensen, inflate their speakers' efficiencies. In any event, the search I did here for Tonkerlite suggests many users view them as fairly well efficient.

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Neo Speaker Review > "...it sounds gorgeous for clean and very hendrixy for fuzzy leads with my KR Gypsy Fuzz..."

Veteran 30 Review > "...If you like Hendrix you will *LOVE* this speaker. To me, it nails the best of Jimi tones..."

ET65 Review > "...This setup gets a great variety of tones from SRV to Robben Ford..."

Reaper Review > "...the Reapers have a full bodied frequency responce including the HUGE bottom end (think Jimi's Voodoo Chile)..." "...the tone was a cross between early SRV and Jimi..."

Blackhawk Review > "...Though they sounded great with just about everything I tried, the sweet spot seemed to be clean and semi-clean maple neck strat sounds. Think SRV's Lenny!..."

Do the WGS speakers do anything other than Jimi and SRV?

:wave

18. jzucker

Must be that Gypsy/Voodoo cab i'm putting them in. ;)

19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Jack, any more time with the Warehouse Neo? Curious how it's holding up for you. I'm really wanting a couple of Neo's for my very heavy 50 watt 2x12 TopHat Ambassador. I have a Patriot Lil Texas in there already, but am interested in other options. The Lil Texas still sounds more like a celestion to me...

20. jzucker

Unfortunately, no. I have too many speakers and not enough cabs. Currently, my 1x12 cab is occupied by the Reaper 55hz HP. I want to try the neo again though.