warehouse or scumback

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rouss, Jan 21, 2012.

Which makes a better vintage greenback copy

1. warehouse

2. scumback

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rouss

rouss Member

simple. which makes a better copy of the vintage celestion greenbacks?

2. rouss

rouss Member

expensive but damn they sound good

3. ispunk

ispunk Supporting Member

I have the Warehouse and it sounds good to me. I got it off the Emporium and it was inexpensive so I doubt I'll ever spend the big bucks for a Scumback.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I would like to know who actually played both and voted, compared to who has not played both and voted.

5. falconer

falconer Member

Both brands, and voted. Though to be fair as was pointed out, I cannot remember the WGS model I had for two days.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Wierd thing is, I have both a Warehouse Retro 30 and the Scumback M75's, but they are in two such very different amps it would'nt be fair to compare them, and as such cast a vote. Retro is in the Redlate Blackverb, and the Scummies are in the Germino Classic45. All I can say is that the Scummies in a marshall type amp are beautiful! All the classic tones presented in such a powerful and complex-yet-focused manner. I'm pretty sure you would love them, if those early marshall tones are what your after. The Retro 30 is very sweet too - stunning clean tones and superb bass and midrange profiles/handling. Might be a bit tighter and brighter than the Scummies, and possibly a little more 70's Marshall than 60's. Just my opinion though.

7. murky69nz

murky69nz Member

Scummies! Especially the new blackbacks.

I've got very high hopes for their new Paper Voice Coil - which seems to me to be as close to real old school vintage construction as anyone these days.

8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I like WGS's, they are great speakers! But, the Scumbacks go to 11!

Seriously, for great British tone, the Scums are the bomb...

I finally got to try the BM75's with a Metro and old SG loaded with some WCR Crossroads and I was seriously blown away...

9. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I wouldn't consider it a fair comparison, since both have their application, one for cost, the other for detailed reproduction. Still, a valid poll, although adding Celestion could have made for a hotter debate.

10. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

This poll is null and void right from the start. Warehouse doesn't make VINTAGE greenback copies. I'm surprised nobody has realized this yet in this thread.

No vote here.

11. PGLive

PGLive True Tone will only be achieved in Heaven Silver Supporting Member

There both great speakers.. I have a Reaper and Scumback H75

12. gulliver

gulliver Member

Tried the 100 watt M75, went with the 65 watt H75 LHDC for that sealed oversized cab, liked the voicing better ... also have an WGS ET-65, which sounds like a high power greenback to me, like that one for lower gain stuff. Nice and ratty.

13. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

:rotflmao

I have a rule when I make threads- never put a poll. It's not perfect, but it at least prevents people from voting anonymously (so they might vote for a laugh, or have no experience with the kit) and it prevents them from not having to justify their opinion. If someone has to write something you can normally tell how reliable/sensible they are.

EDIT: i haven't tried either and i didn't vote. I just came in here because i was interested in the topic.

14. Enajera

Enajera Member

Get the original. Celestion. I have seen used chineese ones for $50 each. They sound great too. That said I have old English ones that I usually find used for $75. They are from the early 1970s.

If you want a greenback, buy a greenback.

Otherwise your journey will continue...