Warehouse Speakers- too good to be true?

im really enjoying the green berets that i got as a result of starting this thread.

according to tgp after another 1000 hours of blasting disco through them theyll really sound good. im going to take a leave of absence from work and really do this right.

ken374

im really enjoying the green berets that i got as a result of starting this thread.

according to tgp after another 1000 hours of blasting disco through them theyll really sound good. im going to take a leave of absence from work and really do this right.
disco lol:)

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
To the OP: Out of the box, I thought the Green Beret sounded a bit more open than a Reaper 30 out of the box. But then again, a Greenback takes less break in than a g12h30...just my opinion. YMMV.

gweeterman1

Silver Supporting Member
I had/have some green berets and love em. I also have some real greenbacks and the wgs are a touch darker to my ears but there well worth the buy

stephenT

ALL my amps have WGS speakers, this is after trying a bunch of other brands. Love their stuff, built in the USofA, and great guys,.. don't be fooled by the prices, in most cases (to my ear) they are better than the originals that some of the WGS are based on.

adamajah

Silver Supporting Member
In case it hasn't been mentioned already, the mods on the WGS forum are very responsive in making recommendations for specific needs. That's how I ended up w/ my Invader (which I really dig).

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
I think the recommendations are all offered by Vaughn, who does several youtube WGS demos and sells his pickups on the WGS site. At least he used to be their guy.

jhall

I have never heard a WGS speaker I didn't like.
I have a pair of ET-65s in a 1983 JCM-800 4104 2x12 combo and it is amazing.
I have an ET-65 paired up with a Scumback 55HZ black back clone in a closed back 2x12
that I use with various amp heads but man oh man you should hear my '78 JMP 2203 through that thing.
So no, the WGS speakers are NOT too good to be true. They are THAT good.

scotty danger

I think that WGS are some of the best values out there at the moment. The great thing about them is that they aren't exact clones of Celestions; they definitely take major inspiration from the brand but add their own special sauce to keep it interesting.

I remember when they were just coming on the scene, and I think I got a Veteran 30 for around 20 bucks or something ridiculous like that. At the time I was using an Alnico Blue with my AC20; it was gorgeous but had a bit of ice pick on the upper registers on my tele. I switched to the Veteran 30, and it was instantly pretty awesome, both recorded and live. Pasted a quick clip of the veteran 30 below:

I've got tons of speakers these days with my favorites being the KTS 70 and Elegante, but man for the money WGS kills it

copperhead

WGS are great speakers & can go up against the upper end Celestion speakers
I've got both versions of the G12M,G12H,v3,G12t-75 ..V-type ..Retro 30,Green Berat , Reaper & reaper hp ..et165 ,
Both are great , & I think the OP starting this thread on pure hype "to good to be true" is an absolute crap shoot .
by the way op....mr pickle .where are you located ?

Stites

@Stites, you mentioned the V12... Do you have a realistic idea of how the ET-65 would compare to the Legend V12?

I have 2 cabs currently that I alternate use of with a DSL 50, one is an oversize 2x12 (same height/width as a 1936, but a couple of inches deeper) with Legend V12's; the other is a 4x12 slant with G12T-75's. Both sound very good when I dial them in right, but I'm looking for something a bit more in the middle of the 2.

The V12's have a bit more mids than I'd ideally like, and not quite enough low end when the 2x12 is sitting on milk crates. When the cab is on the ground the bass is there, but then the focus of the the cab is a bit lost because the whole thing is too low.

OTOH, the 4x12 with the '75's has the bass and focus that I like, but a bit too much sparkly high end, and possibly a bit scooped in the mids, but not that far off.

Of the 2 cabs, I tend to use the 2x12 with the V12's more, but like I said, I need a bit more bass and bit less mids, without adding any top end. I'm wondering how the ET-65's would compare to the V12's if anyone has any direct experience?

Many thanks
TRJB
Honestly, the only experience with V12s has come from YooToob, primarily because a guy with the same amp as me posted a long clip of how it sounded after doing the same mods I'm about to do to mine. He used a V12 in a separate 112 cab, and pretty much ran the gamut of guitar tones.
I'm far from any authority figure on it, but it sounds like you might do well putting one of your G12T75s in your 212 to blend the characteristics of each speaker. Maybe if that suits you well you could try a little bartering with another one of the 75s and snag you another V12 and run an X pattern in your 412?

6AM

Count me in with those who say, "They're okay, but the Celestion versions tend to be better". I've owned a few pairs of WGS speakers over the years; their V30 clone, their CL80 clone, and their G12-65 clone. I thought the G12-65 was particularly bad sounding. Very nasal and muffled sounding.

Honestly, the only experience with V12s has come from YooToob, primarily because a guy with the same amp as me posted a long clip of how it sounded after doing the same mods I'm about to do to mine. He used a V12 in a separate 112 cab, and pretty much ran the gamut of guitar tones.
I'm far from any authority figure on it, but it sounds like you might do well putting one of your G12T75s in your 212 to blend the characteristics of each speaker. Maybe if that suits you well you could try a little bartering with another one of the 75s and snag you another V12 and run an X pattern in your 412?
That's *sort* of where I ended up... I'm running a 2 amp setup, I'm using the 2x12 with the V12's and my Hiwatt DR-103; and the 4x12 with the T75's my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50. Both amps on clean channel/settings, and a Carl Martin PlexiTone in front. With the Hiwatt and V12's it's a bit mid heavy on its own; and the Marshall with the T75's it's a bit trebly, but together, WOW, sounds perfect and huge. Maybe you're right, if I just want to run a single amp rig, I should try either/both of these with the speakers mixed, that might achieve what I want without dishing out on a crap-shoot for yet more speakers that may or may not be better.

Cheers
TRJB

GilmourD

Seems like this is the best place to ask... Who's compared a Green Beret (or a Celestion G12M Greenback) to the WGS Invader 50? Are they really as similar as the description says? I've been quite interested in grabbing an Invader or two for my 2x12 to pair with my NMV Marshally amps.

Trending Topics