Warm and smooth Overdrive Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sgguitarzz, Aug 2, 2006.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

Any recommendations for a warm and smooth overdrive pedal. I don't want something raspy/buzzy or something that is mainly a clean boost. The sound I would love to get close to is the sound that Buddy Whittington gets live with the Bluesbreakers. Does he use any pedals or is that straight through his Dr Z? I know I may be reaching but since I cannot afford a Dr Z amp is there another way to get close to this sound. I have a Sunn T50 which is a real nice amp with a great distortion channel but the distortion channel is too over the top for overdrive.

2. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I have an old, black box Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal that does very well in the warm/smooth department.

While I'm sure there are newer pedals that will do the job better, this one does it for me much better than many high end pedals I've tried. I find it works best for smooth, fat, warm tones by cranking the gain, then lowering the guitars volume control 1/3 or so....then, adjust the level to taste.

I have yet to have the pleasure of playing through a Dr Z amp, so I can't comment on that.

3. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine

4. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Maybe checkout a Hotcake bluesberry or a Timmy set dark, I also have a Marshall bluesbreaker. Great underated pedals!

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

+1 on the Bluesberry, but more importantly, what amp are you using?

6. retro

retro Member

At the end he kind of demo's the woman tone of the BBII....maybe interesting for you..

http://www.gearwire.com/mov/Marshall_Bluesbreaker.mov

A couple of quotes from the Dr Z forum...not sure if they are accurate...

"Does Buddy use any effects pedals or just go straight into his Z?.....only pedal I see looks like a Boss Chromatic Tuner..."

"He's a straight in kinda guy...crank it & play it"

7. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

I really like the Fulltone Fulldrive II.

8. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

MJM Blues Devil!!!!!

9. erksin

erksin Member

Hermida Mosferatu

10. JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise Member

11. John II

John II Member

AC Booster

~John II

12. sgguitarzz

Thanks for all the info. I just want something with a little warmth and sag that reacts to your playing. I know the Buddy Whitington thing is a long stretch but I just love that sound. He is truly an amazing player.

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I would say Hermida....either zen or mosferatu.....very smooth......

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If you like your amp sound and just want more sag and gravy feel to it, check out http://www.tonefactor.com , they have 3 pages of boosters alone.

Analog Mike ( http://www.analogman.com ) also makes a couple really boosters.

Anyway, when I hear BW, I think it's mostly the amp being a) awesome, b) cranked, c) boosted? and d) BW on the other end of the cord attached to it....

15. sgguitarzz

I know you are right but I can still dream.

16. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Definitely! What kind of amp/guitar are you using? The type of pickups and amplifier can help point you in the right direction (is there such a thing? Well, every piece of equipment interacts differently with other pieces of equipment)...

17. sgguitarzz

I am using a 1969 Gibson SG with Dimarzio Super Distortions. I also have a preamp built in. I bought this guitar new in 1969 - my first guitar and it is still my #1. Just an amazing guitar. Through the years I have played everything from classic rock, blues, southern rock, oldies, soul, country - you name it with this guitar. Very versatile and I always get complimets on its sound (and offers to buy it :) but that will never happen). Right now my main amp is a Sunn T50C. It is a great amp. Nice clean channel which straddles the line between Fender and Vox like. A little on the bright side though. The distortion channel is also great but not subtle and not really great for OD. I also use a Fender Deluxe 90 DSP as my 2nd amp and backup. It is solid state but has a nice Fender clean channel, good reverb and delay. Not crazy about the other effects. Great for small clubs for oldies and not hard rocking type gigs. The pedal is really for use with the Sunn.

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Hermida Zendrive - best I've ever heard.
    TS-808 w/Keeley mods - very smooth.

19. sgguitarzz

The clips on the Hermida site do sound great and really nice playing as well.

20. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Just demo'd the Barber Small Fry for a while today and it sounded to me as if it would fit your description nicely.