Warm Clean - Lovepedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnLutz, Nov 7, 2005.

1. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

My amp doesn't do clean very well. I'm wondering if I could bypass my preamp and run some pedal direct into the effects return to get a nice warm clean.

I suppose I could use any of the modellers but ideally, I would like an MXR sized pedal.

I tried bypassing the preamp and plugging my TonePress compressor direct into the effects return. It works OK but it doesn't have enough clean gain and there's some noise.

Would a Lovepedal 60 or some other pedal work better?

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

What you need is an Alembic tube preamp, or a clone. That will get you instant Fender clean when plugged directly into a power amp.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

what kind of amp do you have? i have a lovepedal 60 and it boosts my amp nicely, but if your amp overdrives at low volume i dont think it will be for you.

4. JohnLutz

I have a Gibson Goldtone. It has EL84's in the power amp. I'm thinking about plugging something directly into the power amp and bypassing the Goldtone preamp.

John

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

On the cheap, a Sansamp GT-2 set to the Fender clean might make an improvement. VERY sensitive EQ section and a broad range of tones.

I think plugging a clean booster into your amp's power section would not sound very good, could possibly distort if set too high, and leave you no flexibility for EQ.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

yeah boost pedals would prob be outta the question for that amp, as it would just be pushed to overdrive. hmmm this is an interesting question cant wait to see how it turns out :)

7. 57special

57special Member

8. OOG

OOG Member

i don't know if it likes '84s but a fulltone fat boost does it for me

9. jpagey

jpagey Member

Yes, the 60 is very warm...as is the Eternity. The Zendrive would be great for a "warm clean" boost, since it has 2 knobs to shape the tone. A Java Boost could do it as well. The problem is if your amp is not clean, these pedals would likely add "dirt'. Have you tried switching your preamp tubes to lower gain tubes? If your amp has a 12ax7 in the first tube spot, a 12au or 12ay could make a big difference.

10. JohnLutz

I did try changing the the first tube to a couple of different 12a_ variants but that sucked the life out of the amp.

I may try a SansAmp, my Adrenalinn, or maybe the new Zoom G2.

John