Warm Cleans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Playloudd308, May 20, 2006.

1. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

The Two Rock CR is where its at for those dumblish cleans but first im wanting a warmer clean, think victoria 45410 or bruno super 100 with out the price tag they bring. Not really looking for a voxey clean eather. I need some head room and would like to keep it under 2k. Any suggestions?

2. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

think hesitant by Ej. on the new bloom cd

3. tjs

tjs Senior Member

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I know what you mean about warm cleans. Tweed Cleans are what I'm talking about. Think SDG Vintage for way under Two Grand. Way under.

www.sdgvintage.com

Whats nice about Steve is he can build you anything you want. You want this power section married to that preamp with those speakers in this cab.

He use the good stuff too. Most folks would charge you an arm and a leg plus firstborn for a custom amp. Steve just enjoys it. :BEER

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

If you can find a Groove Tubes Soul O 45, you'll have an amp with great cleans. They're not made anymore but they pop up now and then.

jon

6. Matt H

Matt H Guest

maybe i'm just crazy- but does anyone currently make a JTM100? (i think that's what they were called)... the JTM45's, while known for their "uber-cranked tone" have really nice warm cleans (no surprise, basically a tweed bassman).

i'd seriously consider something like that- the extra pair of power tube's will get you a little more headroom.

7. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Is a Dual Showman not warm enough? Lots of headroom and wayyyy under 2 Gs.

8. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I get very warm cleans from my Rivera Chubster on the "Marshall" side. Depending on the instrument they sound very three dimensional as well.

9. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Look for a used Tweed Twin RI. Very rich warm cleans.

Disclaimer: I currently own one.

10. Matt H

Matt H Guest

(fwiw, the jtm100 is very similar to a high powered tweed twin, the 5f8a... i think the tweed twin RI's were all low powered twins though, which is a different circuit, might not have enough headroom?)

11. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

The RI's are indeed the LoPo circuit. More headroom can be had by using period correct preamp tubes 12AY7's in place of the now stock 12AX7's. Also being of the dual rectified variety they sport decent amount of volume before getting too driven. That is unless you like the sag, then just pull a rectifier and go. YMMV

12. ROKY

ROKY Member

Vintage Hiwatt .

50 or 100 watt version.

I have both, and can't recommend them, enough. :AOK

13. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Fender Custom Shop Dual Professional. No longer made 100 watt 2x12 combo amp with reverb and tremelo. Incredibly lush warm clean tones and headroom to spare. I've seen 'em used mint just over the $1k mark when they show up.