Warm delay that don't mud-up with overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I love the sound of an Analog delay, but I hate how they mud up with any type of drive. I use my delay in front of my The Flexi with slight breakup and a pedal to push. I would love to find a warm delay that doesn't mud up when driven.
    I'm not a heavy guy or a clean player. I use the amount of gain of someone like Brett Garsed or some Scott Henderson. Most of the time I stay around .300 milsec to .500 milsec. Having something with a tap temp would be great.

Any suggestions.

2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

oh yea, at the moment I'm using a Line6 Dl4. I think it's good an all, but I can't describe it... it's just lacking something.

3. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I am using a DLS Echo tap and it is I believe partly constucted of analog components and partly digital. It sounds fantastic and can be dialed in to sound either way. Great for any type of tone, clean or dirty. It's true stereo and I am playing it into a Tophat SD and a Fender Deluxe. After playing in stereo, a single amp just can't get that deep deminsional sound that this pedal will alow. Talk about livening up your sound in a dead room. I have a Maxon analog and a half dozen digital delays and I prefer the DLS over any of them. Oh, the pedal sounds great into one amp also. It also has 2 channels and one is tap tempo.

4. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I've found the DLS Echotap to excel at what you describe too. I think there are some internal adjustments that can be made to tweak input and output volume, though I've never had to.

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

T-Rex Replica. Not the flavor of the week, but it sounds clear with overdriven sounds. Can also simulate analog warmth with the "brown" switch engaged and still retain clarity. Has tap tempo.

6. Deaj

Deaj Member

The DLS EchoTAP is a great fit for what you're looking for.

7. Ned

Ned Member

the first version Japanese DD-3's with the DD-2 style chip is one of the most warm sounding digital delays ive heard and because it is digital it doesnt mush up my drive sound, its why it stays on my board

8. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

i like the good old deluxe memory man, no tap tempo though.

9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

thanx for all the replys guys

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got the DMM and it can mud up and overload pretty easily, even with the mod for increasing headroom. The DLS EchoTap kills IMO. Especially when using a hot, OD'd or totally distored signal before it. For me, nothing comes close.

11. thunder970

thunder970 Guest

I really like my Ibanez AD-9. I leave it on all the time set low for a echo with no repeats.I run it after a barber direct drive with great results

12. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

I've been using the DLS for about a year. It's not a perfect delay, but it's the best one I can find. It can't get as bright and clear as, for example, a DD-3, but it can get brighter than the average analog delay.

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

Delays are delays, set up the same there are little differences. They key to keeping out of mud-land is setting them up right. If the delay is subtle and long enough it will keep from drowning the original signal. I really like the dual delay on my H&K Reflex, as it can give a complex delay without the original reflection being too short.