Warm, low to medium gain overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by michael patrick, Mar 17, 2006.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I recently acquired a tweed Deluxe 5E3 clone. It's my first foray into the world of tweed after years of playing NMV Marshalls. I'm discovering that not all of the overdrive/distortion pedals I have on my board play nice with a tweed-style amp, even though they sound great through a Marshall.

What I seem to be missing in my arsenal is a nice, warm and beefy, low to medium gain overdrive. Got any suggestions?

I'm a cheap bastard as well, so low cost options especially appreciated...:D

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Love the Barber Silver LTD with my 59 Bassman RI, Fulltone FD-2 would work nicely with the amp cooking a bit!

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

If you like the type of grind you get by cranking your 5e3, the Clark/Barber Gainster is a great match. It is very neutral in terms of color, it just gives you more of what you are getting out of your amp. It goes from low to medium gain. Michael Clark builds some of the best tweed amps around and this pedal is voiced perfectly for tweed.
    It is available for $139 from the Perfect Note.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Crowther Hot Cake Blueberry

MI Audio Blues Pro

Fulltone Fulldrive II w/toggle

5. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

+1 on the mi audio blues pro

warm + beefy can be a tough combination to find, but this pedal does it.

6. michael patrick

Thanks for the suggestions. I recognize some of them, but there's a few I hadn't considered, either. Keep 'em coming!!

I've been thinking about the Blues Pro for a while (even before I got the 5E3), I wonder when they'll be available again?

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive is another good one for reasonable coinage.

8. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

Fulltone Full Drive II or in the less expensive category a Boss Blues Driver is good.

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Depends on the tone you're after. Here are my votes... the Zendrive is awesome for smooth and creamy overdrive. An RC Booster will do a terriffic job of pushing your amp over the edge if you can crank the amp a little. And finally, a TIM or TIMMY is perfect for transparent overdrive tones.

10. michael patrick

Right, knew I forgot something....

Right now I'm sitting here listening to Neil Young and Crazy Horse live on "Year of the Horse." I'm loving on the warm about-to-go-over-the-edge tones...

I know Neil's rig involves more than just a (modified) Deluxe, but I'd like to cop some of his tones. I don't have a whizzer to turn the knobs for me, so I was going to use a pedal or pedals to do it. I run the amp with a good bit of breakup, but when I push it with a boost it a) sags like crazy, and b) doesn't sound warm like Neil. Hence why I'm looking for a low-to-medium gain pedal that is on the warm side....

11. dosmun

dosmun Member

Hotcake
    Nobels ODR-1

12. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The only problem with some of the suggestions you're going to get is that they may not pair well with the 5e3. Not everything does. You basically have no clean headroom to start with, so the OD you put in front of it is going to be colored quite a bit with the tweed grind. I have a few very nice OD's that I love with all of my BF amps and others, but I don't like them in front of my 5e3.
    Again, after you described the tone you are looking for, I would really recommend the Clark Gainster. It is like giving steroids to your tweed amp.

13. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Interesting description, b/c by Young's account the bridge pickup in his LP (an old Firebird mini) is so microphonic you can sing through it. That would suggest a lot of high treble and pick attack hitting the amp. 2 other considerations: he's usually front-ending with a Fender reverb unit, so there's some tube warmth already happening; and he needed the Whizzer b/c the volumes on the Deluxe are apparently very touchy, such that when he dimes both of them the tone sags out. Sound familiar?

Btw, what pickups are you using?

14. michael patrick

My understanding was that he used the whizzer to get different tones from the amp, everything from the sagged-out overload to cleaner, chimier stuff. Changing the settings on a 5E3, either by hand or mechanically with a whizzer, will get you all those tones.

With my current lineup of (mostly P-90) guitars and pedals, I can get the chimey stuff, medium grind with lots of bite, and the sagged-out overload. I want to add a warm rhythm and/or lead tone to the mix.

15. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Sure, assuming the right 5E3. Young's allegedly had 300+ go through his hands, and he uses 2-3 of them. My point was that there's a very specific combination of volume settings he likes from that old #1.

Here's a quote from the 92 GP interview:
    "JO: Could you have recorded 'Weld' with '60s era equipment?

NY: Not without the Whizzer, because that's how I get the guitar sounds to change subtly. The Deluxe goes up to 12---not 11---and with everything floored, if you back it down to 10-1/2 from 12, all of a sudden it's chunky sounding on the attack. If you have it up on 12, then it just saturates completely and opens up after the attack. But if you back it down, it'll catch the attack. So I've got one button just to change that one thing that much."

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/ptma/equip.htm

Trouble is, and cbpickin already mentioned this, most "warm" overdrive pedals show some kind of midrange bump which doesn't usually mesh well with the small tweeds. It's just overkill. The reason I mentioned the Fender reverb is b/c it can be used as a unity-gain tube buffer with the mix turned down (and as a treble filter), and maybe that's the key rather than something which clips on its own.

Another possibility: are you running the spec 12AY7 in V1? Swapping that tube for a BH or AX is going to have a big effect on the overdrive character.

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

DEFINITELY the Clark Gainster. I bought it to do low to medium gain, warm overdrive, that sort of mimics my Bassman (tweed) breaking up, and guess what it does? It is exactly what I was looking for, and it sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. At $139, you can't lose, you can sell it very quickly if you're not into it, but I bet you will be. Go to tpngear.com to hear clips and order. The clip called "Late Night Noodles" should represent what you're looking for pretty well, the others all show it breaking already driven or near-breakup amps out.
    Good luck.

17. jpagey

jpagey Member

Gainster
    Barber LTD
    Zen Drive
    Eternity

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Low cost suggestion... get a Boss SD-1 get $10 worth of parts and modify it. If you want the easies route, order a kit from indyguitarist.com I turned my SD-1 into tone akin to a fulldrive II. Very nice!

or...

The Shizit = Lovepedal Eternity :RoCkIn

Not cheap, but tis the coolest pedal on the planet. If we're not careful, it could destroy the world. That's why I have two on my side....

19. playon

playon Supporting Member

I don't get it... a tweed Deluxe IS a warm and beefy overdrive all by itself... I mean isn't that why people use them in the first place? Why do you need a pedal... don't think NY uses one.

20. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

my guess is he needs a warm boost to kick it into gear.