Warm Plate reverb - Strymon Blue Sky Reverberator or Catalinbread Talisman?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matts Tone, May 1, 2016.

1. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Hi all, I've been recently looking to add another modulation pedal & had been weighing up which route to go with the analog delay & tremolo I already have.

Having been playing with my small effects rig & decided what I'm needing is some more ambient tones & decided a good reverb pedal would do the trick. As my amp already has a nice spring reverb I was looking at Plate reverbs & reverbs with a bit of versatility but not ott.

From what I've read about & listened to the Strymon Blue Sky Reverberator & Catalinbread Talisman were the 2 that stood out to me. Obviously there is the Strymon Big Sky but that has way too many options for what I was looking for.

What I liked from clips I've heard & read about the Strymon Blue Sky Reverberator:

• Versatile with a plate, hall & spring reverb - which would be more than enough for what I need.
    • Options of adding modulation & Shimmer to the sound which sounded impressive.
    • Reasonably compact & looks cool too.

The only negatives I can think of would be the cost as it's at the top end of what I wanted to spend & due to it being versatile will the sound quality be as good as a stand alone reverb that excels in just one area such as the Catalinbread Talisman.

What I liked from clips I've heard & read about the Catalinbread Talisman:

• Nice classic plate reverb sound.
    • Nice & compact.
    The only negative I can think of is that it's not as versatile as the Strymon Blue Sky but is probably more of an authentic Plate reverb sound without the added extras.

I think the main thing for me is for a warm reverb sound - or at least as warm as you can get with a digital pedal.

Have any of you guys tried both the Strymon Blue Sky or Catalinbread Talisman? or at least tried one of these reverb pedals & what was your thoughts on them?

Thanks for any information that you can share :aok

2. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

Talisman is my favourite when it comes to plate reverb, it is as close to the real thing you can get.

3. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Silver Supporting Member

If it matters, the Blue Sky can do stereo which really sounds good as an ambient effect.

Both solid units!

4. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Digi-tech Hardwire Reverb. Lexicon powered. Nice plate reverb and others
    RV-7

mulekicker likes this.
  5. crazyaga

crazyaga Member

I have the context reverb by red panda, and i highly recommend it. it has various reverb options, including plate.

Neff and deeohgee like this.
  6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Talisman unless you know you need to put it the loop. There is no perfect, accurate and practical plate reverb pedal in the current market.

I have requested Stymon make a loop-friendly product like this and I encourage others to ask them for it too. They seem at least somewhat responsive to musicians' needs. If they ever do it will kill.

The Talisman is currently the most accurate.

7. oaeoeao

oaeoeao Member

I got the Talisman for plate reverb sounds. I use mainly a Princeton Reverb reissue and place the pedal at the end of a chain that includes fuzz, drive, modulation and delay.

I didn't want a lot of options. I like pedals that do one, maybe three things well. Once a pedal has over five possible settings, I find I play the pedal more than the guitar.

The Talisman is great, once you get over the initial hurdle of setting it up. It's not easy to get the sound right for the song, and depending on the output of your pickups or what you have before the pedal, a judicious use of the high pass filter is necessary.

One issue is that the more high pass filter is employed, the more you think your original tone has changed and this leads to a lot of knob finicking. I recommend buying the Talisman from a store with a good return policy, playing with it in your set up for awhile, before keeping or returning it. It's a great pedal, but as it acts like a "real plate unit," will require some meditation to get right for the specific song or purpose where plate tone is called for.

Also, keep in mind that the volume on Talisman controls the output for the pedal and not just the reverb level, so you end up having all signal controlled via the Talisman, which seems strange. I think this is why folks want plate reverb in a effects loop?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  8. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

You might want to look at the newly released MXR reverb also.

9. e???

e??? Member

Flint's 70's verb is the warmest I've tried

Windup 43 likes this.
  10. augur

augur Member

Neunaber Stereo Wet with plate algorythm is my favorite compact reverb.

11. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Thanks guys for your input so far - had a look at the red panda context reverb which sounded nice & thanks for the heads up of the MXR reverb which I believe doesn't come out until June (at least not here in the UK). But to be fair I'm not wanting to purchase a reverb until June so we will see.
    I'm still liking the fact that Strymon Blue Sky can bring a modulation (chorus) tone & shimmer to the tone but can also be removed from each setting, as can especially see the modulation setting becoming useful as do not have a chorus or modulated delay on my board so can use it when I please.
    The actual tone of the Catalinbread Talisman (at least from the Pro Guitar Shop clip with excellent playing from Andy) makes it sound warm & authentic, but does not have the modulation setting - which I know it would not have as aware it's trying to replicate as close as it can to an actual plate reverb.

I'm still weighing up if from a reverb pedal I'm looking for versatility or a reverb pedal that does one thing, but does it really well. I can see the modulation being an excellent feature for me from the Blue Sky but also the Talisman just has the Plate tone down to a tee but not as versatile.

Anymore comments appreciated :cool:

12. augur

augur Member

Neunaber Immerse can be a good option too with external knobs instead of using software to change reverb type.

13. rdowd

rdowd Member

I've owned a Strymon Flint for the last year or two and found I was using the Plate effect 90% of the time, between a mild always-on setting up to huge decay and mix settings for more ambient stuff. I love plate reverb, but I have a really bright setup (AVRI Jazzmaster, Maz 18) and the tone control is really helpful taming the sometimes-crispy treble. I've had good luck running it in the loop or right in front of the amp, with some minor EQ adjustments.

It wasn't until I started exploring the (amazing) 80s setting that I wanted a better way to switch back and forth between reverbs and layer for larger sounds. Side-by-side, the Talisman nails that EMT sound in a way the Flint can't. Don't get me wrong, the Flint sounds amazing, but the hi-pass and pre-delay controls on the Talisman gives it a "realness" that can't be beat. Some TGP users have mentioned trouble in the effects loop. I haven't experienced that, but I also keep the volume (which acts as a boost) around 10:00, or as close to unity as I can.

You mentioned modulation, too - if you consider tremolo an option the Flint is a great solution. I bought the Flint as a reverb pedal with trem as a nice-to-have. Yesterday I played with just the tremolo side for about two hours. For an introduction to tremolo, it does a fantastic job.

For me the Strymon wins with overall functionality. Talisman wins on pure tone. It's a tough choice.

(Btw, I made my decision on Flint over Blue Sky because I never use shimmer effects and the Flint's reverbs hit the sweet spot between usable sounds and simplicity.)

natethegreat12 likes this.
  14. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Thanks rdowd for your input - I've actually played a Strymon Flint (the only Strymon pedal I've tried) & actually wasn't too fond of the tremolo as to me it did sound digital, I did find the reverb to be nice though. I actually already own a tremolo that's on my board so are only after a stand alone reverb. To be fair I've always owned a analog tremolo - Fulltone Supatrem, Frantone Vibutron, Monster FX Swamp Thang which are all very nice. I now just own the Monster FX Swamp Thang (large box version) which is my favourite tremolo.

I like the ambience of the Strymon Blue Sky I've heard & I know artists such as Ben Howard use it, but still the Talisman is very appealing. I've still got a good month before I make up my mind so have plenty of time to work out exactly what would work best with my setup.

15. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

^This.

I've had the Flint and Blue Sky, and currently have the Wet. The Flint is the warmest.

16. natethegreat12

natethegreat12 Member

In a side by side comparison in my own home, I found the BlueSky to have every reverb sound in the Flint.

The trick is using the EQ to taste.

IMO the BlueSky is EXCELLENT!...but it requires some tweaking to find the right sounds.

Flint is plug and play all day.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  17. minty901

minty901 Member

Did you know it was digital before you tried it? Just sayin', maybe you let your preconceived notions get the better of you.

18. natethegreat12

natethegreat12 Member

IMHO Digital trem is instantly recognizable when you're used to the rich and pulsing feel and sound of analog optical trems.

19. natethegreat12

natethegreat12 Member

The digital trem emulation is the only thing that i wasn't fond of in the Flint.

The trem is really good. But it doesn't have the character that I love in analog optical trem

20. minty901

minty901 Member

I'm feeling a blind test is in order. They're so fun. Anyone have a number of digital and analog trems and a fair bit of time on their hands?

natethegreat12 likes this.