Warm + punchy 12" sp. for clean + loud Jazz tone ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitman, Apr 20, 2017.

1. gitman

gitman Member

I am building a new and portable rig for my Jazz gigs, consisting of a separate SMS tube preamp, an fx unit and an ISP Stealth poweramp. I already own a Thiele cab with a 12" EVM speaker but I also want an open back , Fender style cab, possibly a 2x12" design. Which speaker can you recommend
    that delivers a warm, balanced and punchy clean tone, comparable to a 60's Twin Reverb ? I have no idea what to look for regarding specs, graphs etc. and since most players are more concerned with overdrive sounds I'm kinda lost here .... any help is appreciated !

2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

I put an EVM12L speaker in a TTC Raptor cab. Same concept than the Forte 3D cab, with two side vents which work as a sort of side-fill. It's a nice combination of punch through the speaker and omnidirectivity due to the cab design. They are custom built so you can order with a classic Fender look, which I did for mine. I first installed an Emi lil Texas, but bass and low mid were seriously missing. Now with the EV, it sounds well balanced, great for cleans and also handles any effect very nicely. The Thiele concept is great to enhance bass but it's more heavy rock oriented, when you need those distorted low notes to stay precise.

Another idea would be to try the DV Mark 212 cab. You can find them on the used market for low money and they are crazy light, still punchy and "warm, balanced and punchy clean tone" fit them perfectly. They're kinda ugly but you could swap the speakers in a more conventional looking F cab.

gitman likes this.
  3. ThePK

ThePK Member

From the thread title I was going to suggest an EVM12L :) Love that speaker.
    They work great in open back cabs as well in my opinion. I´ve also been happy with the Fane Studio 12L for jazz gigs, but I don´t think they are currently in production.

Another speaker I really like for clean "jazz" tones is the Cannabis Rex. Warmer and smoother than the the typical C12Ks in a Twin to my ears. I really dig it for clean tones. Might be a bit dark for distorted sounds, but I think it could be a nice fit for your use.

Yet another option could be the Jensen Tornados. I have them currently in a closed back 2x12, but imagine they would work well in an open back as well. Not quite as warm/fat/smooth as the Cannabis Rex, but very nice sounding speakers. And they are very light weight. (I see Fender put them in the George Benson Twin Reverb so if you find one of those to check out it would be a nice audition for how they would work in your 2x12 open back setup).

gitman likes this.
  4. Northerner

Northerner Member

5. 71strat

71strat Member

Celestion Cream.

I use 2 with my 69 Dual Showman with great success. Great for cleans, drive. These are a very smooth speaker

e??? likes this.
  6. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Member

I'd go Celestion A-Type. I put one in my Little Walter VG-50 (clean amp) and it's fantastic. I'd favor using my tone knob over selecting a speaker like CRex.

7. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

The Emi Legend 121 has very big full clean sound, late break up, and great highs you can dial down with your EQ, or add them for versatility. Also, the speaker adds some mids that are smooth. Great for high headroom jazz.

8. Ejay

Ejay Member

I just got me 2 thieles with ev....god i love those speakers!

What i learned from a/B speakers (in my study as loud as i could bare)

C90, also in a thiele--> ev
    Ev was more midfocussed, little less high, less bass. Seemed far more "in your face" then the c90, and more balanced for my taste. (Im a "mids is where the money is type). Between the 2 id prefer the ev, but the 2 together really sounded great. Some ppl report those speakers to sound simular, i think they are very different.

C90 in a thiele against celestions 75 in a 9200 cab:

- c90 more midfocussed, more "low,low" then the 9200 cab. 9200 was more "raspy" on the highs. Tbh, id prefer the c90 over the 9200 cab. But...that thiele cab is a different beast then the 9200. So what does what...speaker/cab...idnk.

I do see where your coming from to want an open back, im planning to do also.

What are your reasons to want that?

Mine are to give me options to Add/remove ambient to my stage sound, depending on the acoustics of the room. Also, the ev is very direct, combining with a speaker with a little more...indirect (makes sense?) seems to add depth (makes sense?2). May even give powerfull adjustment to rooms with separate volumes to both speakers.

What im gonna try:
    - opening one thiele at the back, if that works replace the back with something easy to remove so i have a "hybrid" cab, maybe replace the 2nd ev with an experimental speaker.
    - i got me katana 100 for grab and go stuff/@home, i "hijacked" that speakercable so i can use it as a cab only also. That speaker is not bad, maybe i replace it..idnk yet.

In running a KPA, mesa 50/50, cabs, doing both archtop, as well as solid/gainy gigs.

9. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

I'm with you with the "direct" description. The EVM12L was first intended for pro audio, hence the balanced full sound (some say hi-fi), that's why I think it works great for jazz. The same reason why solid state amps work well for jazz too.
    Now, adding a second speaker for something more "spongy" seems a good idea but I've read many times that the EV12ML don't mix well with other speakers.

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I had a 2x12 that mixed an Emi Tonker with one of the American sounding speakers (can't remember the name. Sorry). I thought that combo was a great mix. Kingsley used to (and may still) do the same thing on the Deluxe 30. I would look into that if I were doing another 2x12.

11. 71strat

71strat Member

Be careful running any other type speaker in a ts806 cabinet. the cab has a specific tuning and if the speaker doesnt match the tuning, it at the least wont be optimal, and at worse it will lead to early speaker failure.

jbl e120 is the best speaker for cleans imho. I often run 1 hemp coned e120 x 1 cream. jbl is also very powerful, and efficient. 103db 18.5lbs magnet. even bigger than ev.

I had tim at TRM build 2 cabs from the jbl pro enclosure guide, with 3 piece backs, so I can open the back, and put a cream in it

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. gitman

gitman Member

WOW , that is a BIG rig .... !!!!! Guess you don't schlepp that around too often ! I have the Thiele cab with the EV speaker and will use it when I need extra bottom end or it's a gig that calls for my solidbody guitars. My main Jazz gig is an Organ Trio where I play my Super-400 or a Victor Baker Byrdland type archtop- it gets quite loud at times. I opt for an open back cab to have a little more ambience, a less focused and "beamy" sound- more traditional so to say.

13. rePlay

rePlay Member

A magnificent beast of speaker, frequency response is a bit flatter and more extended than a EV-12L.
    Works great in an open cab. 103db 1w1m, 200 watt rated.
    These are fairly rare in North America and they are out of production but if you can any you will be smiling!
    I expect the Studio 12L is more common in Europe.

ThePK likes this.
  14. Lance

Lance Member

The JBL K120 sounds very similar to an E120, and weighs quite a bit less. E120 - 300W, ceramic magnet. K120 - 100W alnico. The K was specifically designed for guitar frequency range, as well as other mid range instruments. The E120 is pretty much a PA speaker...and a darned good one for guitar!