Warm single coils?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ac9736, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ac9736

ac9736 Member

Looking for a p90 or single coil bridge pickup with a round top end and midrange push? Don't want the top end to be shrill like many pickups are but also not too dull.. Still need some clarity without it sounding piercing.. Any recommendation?

2. Sensates

Sensates Member

Try the Dimarzio Injectors. Tone is in my opinion in between hot single coils and P90s, hum free, and responds like single coils do. I prefer these to my Fralin Blues Specials.

3. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

I'd second the Injectors, they are surprisingly good for cleans. For something bigger and warmer than the Injectors I would suggest G&L MFDs as used in their S500 model.

4. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

Is this in a strat?
    Try the fralin sp-43

5. cardinal

cardinal Member

Lollar Special S has worked for me.

6. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Round top end and midrange push?

Thats a P90, to me at least.

EDIT: Most single coils can bite and are capable of ice pick treble, but I think P90s offer more character, especially if you’re a volume knob rider. I feel they keep their voice longer as you lower your volume.

That’s just my experience.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  7. e???

e??? Member

P90's for sure. I was a strat guy for years but the warmth and fullbodied-ness of the p90 is amazing. I've found that they're much easier to sing to, but when you hit the strings a little bit you get the bite that a single coil gives you. I think Gibson p90's are great, same as Gotoh, actually haven't heard too many bad p90's. I like the ones that come on Eastwoods too...

8. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Not true single coils, but for what you describe, the Fender (and other) noiseless pickups sound like that to me with the added bonus of no hum.

9. buzzp

buzzp Member

P90's are the best pick-up IMO, especially if you can reduce the hum without reducing the "character"- there are some winders who build single coil size P90s, but I would look at those dimarzio injectors, they look pretty damn cool.

10. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Change the capacitor on your tone control.