Warm speakers for a bright amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TTBZ, Apr 14, 2016.

1. TTBZ

TTBZ Member

I'm looking for a pair of warm sounding speakers to go with my Laney GH50L. Currently using this British 2x12 cab with 2 G12H30s and I find it a bit too bright and harsh. I'd originally considered replacing just one with a V30 as I'd heard it's a good combo, but I don't want to still be able to hear the fizz/harsh from the other h30.

Generally I like the tone I have now apart from the harsh top end/fizz, and also I'd like a bit more mid range roar/bark. I play pretty much anything rock and metal, my current cover band does stuff from The Who, Thin Lizzy, GnR etc up to Foo Fighters and Metallica levels of gain to give you an idea.

I've heard the Creamback G12M-65 are good for what I'm after, are they worth the money? Anything else I should consider?

How about the Classic Lead 80?

2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I would go with a g12-65 type over a creamback. Scumback m75-ld would be my choice for that style. Classic lead 80 wouldn't be bad. Really any large dust cap speaker would help smooth things out and get rid of rasp

nevismusic, MissoulaGriz and halcyon like this.
  3. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Scumback. I have M75s and H75s paired in a 1960A and a 1936. I recently emailed Jim for advice on a speaker for the level of gain you mentioned - 1x12 cab. He recommended his J75 LD. A great speaker - warm detailed and sweet. The M series are the classic Greeenback tone, the H series are brighter and the J series sit in between. Get the factory break in - SO worth the $10.

Russ

joealba likes this.
  4. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

The smooth cone offerings from wgs are awesome.

mwhy and muletrane like this.
  5. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

I'll just give a +1 for the CL80 and G12-65 (not creamback...) - both are great for smoothing out a bright amp, and the Laney GH50 is pretty much in the Marshall JCM800 ballpark IIRC; G12-65s are IMO the best choice for that kind of voicing.

6. Echoplexi

Love my j75-LDs

7. TTBZ

TTBZ Member

Cool thanks for the info. Forgot to mention I'm in the UK so not sure how accessible WGS and Scumback are to me.

8. Echoplexi

Celestion Lynchback I've found to be great at warming up a bright Marshall too. Should be easier to get for you in the uk

aynirar27 likes this.
  9. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

10. TTBZ

TTBZ Member

WGS actually seem available. The ET65 is the G12 -65 right?

11. Echoplexi

More or less. I've heard they are a bit brighter than a standard g12-65 but I haven't used them personally

12. MrMilkman

MrMilkman Supporting Member

I would definitely suggest hemp cones. I use a 2x12 with a pair of Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers for my 1987. Liked them so much I got a pair of their Lil Buddy 10" hemps for my 2x10 for smaller gigs. They are super smooth, not harsh at all, and retain all of the midrange and bite you'd want with plenty of lows. I run my mids and treble way up without killing small animals or eardrums. Both the 12" and 10" models were reasonably priced as well ($80 and $70 USD each, respectively)

I've heard Eminence can be tough to get in the UK, but if there's a good brand you can get your hands on there with hemps I would definitely give it a shot.

jcarpenter likes this.
  13. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

I have an ET65 and an Invader. The ET65 is the brighter of the two, but it's pretty balanced.

I own three speakers. The third one is a Cannabix Rex. I like that speaker a lot, but it's not for every amp. It may be too dark and smooth for a lot of amps. The midrange is softer too.

14. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

+1 on the Cannabis Rex

15. TTBZ

TTBZ Member

Which do you prefer betwen the ET65 and Invader? I think my choice is between these 2 now or perhaps an ET65/Veteran 30 mix.

16. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Emi Legend V12 if you can find a distributor.

S. F. Sorrow and nevismusic like this.
  17. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

I bought the Invader to replace the Rex in a Dr Z cab to go with my Z28 head. I wanted something a little less dark, but also with a more percussive midrange, more marshally. I had an opportunity to buy a slightly used ET65 shortly after. I went with it for a while. It does not sound like a V30, but the high end is little crunchier than the Invader. It also sounds better at bedroom volumes (I am not playing with anyone right now). I went back to the Invader after a long trial period. At super low volume, the Invader is a little honkier, but it may need a little breaking in. The ET65 had been more played already. The Invader does the Greenback really well with more power capability. Both speakers are great are not whole worlds apart. It depends on the sound you are after. I have owned a few other Eminence and Celestion speakers over the years. The WGS speakers may be my favorite speakers so far, and there are quite affordable too.

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

Eminence C-Rex is really good at taming a bright top end, but still sparkles.
    The low end is full and can get boomy at higher volumes with humbuckers in neck position.

I found myself switching to middle and bridge pickups to help control the low end.

It is also a very efficient speaker at 102 dB SPL, so you're gonna be louder.

19. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

If you haven't done so… I'd try using good tubes. Fizz and a harsh top end is characteristic of inferior preamp tubes. If you don't have the spares to perform the trial maybe a friend does. Always better to eliminate a problem than bandage/mask it. Then you can base your decision purely on tone/volume.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    S. F. Sorrow and buzzp like this.
  20. Echoplexi

Steamboat Hemp 100s are the best hemp coned speakers I've used. They are refurbished vintage celestion g12-80s reconed with tone tubby hemp ones.