Warming Up A Budda SDII 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SvenHock, Mar 22, 2008.

1. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Just picked one up from a member here and like the sound but the high end is just a little too much. I have the treble most of the way down and have retubed it but my ears are not liking a certain frequency. What would be a good speaker choice for this amp? It has the stock Phat speaker and I tried a Warehouse V30 and it sounded similar to the Phat. Greenback would flab if driven but would be warmer? How about a G12H? Any other ideas?

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Something must be wrong. If anything, most people describe these as a little dark. I have been using my SD30 head/2x12 since 2001 and I just sold a SD18 II 1x12 combo. I have never had the treble below half way up on either amp and I play with both single coils and humbuckers.

For what it's worth, I really liked a G12M in the SD18 II 1x12. I was playing it at Church and not in a cranked up situation. so I can not comment on how the G12M would respond to being cranked for extended periods of time.

3. Dana-L

Dana-L Supporting Member

I played a Superdrive a month or so ago that was loaded with what I believe was an H75 Scumback and it was extremely sweet.

Cheers,

-Dana

4. jay66

jay66 Member

Eminence Man O War sounds really good in my SD 18. My phat 12 sounded the same way, too much treble.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

try it with a V30, but check the amp first, it is strange to listen to someone complain that a Budda sounds too trebly, believe me i used to play a Mesa Tremoverb and a Prosonic, both very dark amps before changing religion

6. jay66

jay66 Member

Mine was the speaker for sure. I could dial it out with the EQ though.

7. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Thats what I'm thinking because the amp is working fine and I retubed and checked it out. It still sounds much better than any other 18 watt amp with a master volume I have ever owned. I do not know how Budda is able to keep the bottom tight on these things but they have!