1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Warming Up A Budda SDII 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SvenHock, Mar 22, 2008.

1. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Just picked one up from a member here and like the sound but the high end is just a little too much. I have the treble most of the way down and have retubed it but my ears are not liking a certain frequency. What would be a good speaker choice for this amp? It has the stock Phat speaker and I tried a Warehouse V30 and it sounded similar to the Phat. Greenback would flab if driven but would be warmer? How about a G12H? Any other ideas?

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Something must be wrong. If anything, most people describe these as a little dark. I have been using my SD30 head/2x12 since 2001 and I just sold a SD18 II 1x12 combo. I have never had the treble below half way up on either amp and I play with both single coils and humbuckers.

For what it's worth, I really liked a G12M in the SD18 II 1x12. I was playing it at Church and not in a cranked up situation. so I can not comment on how the G12M would respond to being cranked for extended periods of time.

3. Dana-L

Dana-L Supporting Member

I played a Superdrive a month or so ago that was loaded with what I believe was an H75 Scumback and it was extremely sweet.

Cheers,

-Dana

4. jay66

jay66 Member

Eminence Man O War sounds really good in my SD 18. My phat 12 sounded the same way, too much treble.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

try it with a V30, but check the amp first, it is strange to listen to someone complain that a Budda sounds too trebly, believe me i used to play a Mesa Tremoverb and a Prosonic, both very dark amps before changing religion

6. jay66

jay66 Member

Mine was the speaker for sure. I could dial it out with the EQ though.

7. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Thats what I'm thinking because the amp is working fine and I retubed and checked it out. It still sounds much better than any other 18 watt amp with a master volume I have ever owned. I do not know how Budda is able to keep the bottom tight on these things but they have!