warming up a yamaha pacifica

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by alexandergj, Mar 14, 2008.

1. alexandergj

alexandergj Member

Hi all

being a George Lynch fan, I installed a SD Screamin' Demon humbucker in my Yamaha Pacifica 812W. It originally came with a SD 59. The guitar is very light and bright with not a huge amount of sustain and I can't help thinking that it would benefit from a 'warmer' bridge pickup than the two it has had; to give it a bit more 'oomph'/girth.

Would welcome any suggestions for a 'rock' pickup with a moderate output and a beefy tone. Or perhaps there's something I can do by changing out the pots or some other wiring mods?

Thanks
    Gary

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Just out of simple curiosity, what string gauge and tuners do you use on this guitar? When you string up, do you tune all the way down the post?

3. Crikey

Crikey Member

Over time I've grown skittish about discussing "warmth" without extensively clarifying what the person means, because lots of people seem to use that term to mean different things.

But you said "beefy", so I'll have a go. In my opinion, "beefy" rock sound was what Gibson's designers were going for when they made their 490R neck and 498T bridge humbuckers. Go to a store and compare the sound of a Les Paul Studio (498T) with a Les Paul Standard (Burstbucker Pro, supposed to be sort of a hotter PAF style). The difference is unsubtle.

My guess is there are a lot of aftermarket pickups aimed this way too, but I wouldn't know any models to recommend.

It's not uncommon for folks to buy a recent Les Paul and want to go in a more vintage direction, so you can probably score an affordable and little-used 498T in the TGP Emporium or on eBay with a little patience.

Crikey

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

"beefy" and "sustain" can also be achieved with a thicker string gauge, and proper tuning...which is probably the least costly of suggestions...I don't see why you couldn't get 'girth' outa the existing setup.

5. alexandergj

alexandergj Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I take the point about string gauge. I was hoping someone might have already come up with a rough scale of brightness in aftermarket humbuckers.

6. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Check out Rio Grande Texas and Barbecue pickups. Warm and punchy.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the duncan custom 5 sounds like a vintage pickup, except louder with a low end boost. that might be a good choice to "fatten" up the bridge sound. (i'm with crikey, i'm never sure what "warm" really means.)